SHELLAC TO HEADLINE U:MACK'S 10th BIRTHDAY PARTY! (NOV 27) (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter u:m
  • Start date
  • Replies 269
  • Views 24K
  • Watchers 13
skinnerchinner said:
great night
i was far too pissed tho and left during plaid
a shame really cos they had started with that new hp stonji record on
spezial material which is great
Actually, the first track they played was that fucking Alter Ego track that has worked its way onto my "never want to hear again" chart. They never quite entirely recovered from that start, although they did play a few good tunes along the way. But there was a fair bit of cheese as well.

skinnerchinner said:
shouldnt have started the boozathon so early
the rest was great
the bug reached into my ears and raped them
The Bug was definitely my highlight as well--maybe the best of the three times I've seen him/them. Also really enjoyed the Rednecks, who I haven't seen for quite a while.

I thought that Shellac were awful. Granted, they improved as the set went on, but that only means that they started as barely-listenable rubbish and gradually worked their way up to merely boring. This is the second time I've seen them be crap this year, and I suspect it's the last of their shows I'll bother going to.

Still, music aside, it was a great night. As birthday parties go, it was certainly one of the best I've been to.

Paul

Brilliant brilliant night. I had so much fun just wandering around and having the chat with all sorts of people. It really did feel like an event rather than just some run-of-the-mill gig.

I figured out it was my 8th time seeing Shellac and I enjoyed it just as much as the first (well maybe not quite). I can kind of see why people find them boring at this stage but fucks sake I could watch Todd Trainer playing the drums for hours. The geetar could have been a wee bit louder though, particularly given the crazy volume that was going on during the Bug.

Fantastic night anyway .... thanks Timo!!

The Rednecks were awesome. They blew Shellac off the stage IMO. Dont know what the fuss about Bug is. I thought it was sht. Went to the bar instead.

What were those shirts Shellac were wearing?

I thought shellac were really good but i expected nothing so was plesantly surprised, i always thought they were very overrated on record due only to Albinis status.
The 1st half of the bugs set was great.
Good night all round.

I thought shellac were only allright.

The bug was a disapointment.

Missed the Rednecks

and plaid were boring.

....oh wait.... i wasnt at this gig.

photon said:
Actually, the first track they played was that fucking Alter Ego track that has worked its way onto my "never want to hear again" chart. They never quite entirely recovered from that start, although they did play a few good tunes along the way. But there was a fair bit of cheese as well.

Paul
that shows how pished i was so
i couldve sworn they started with the hp stonji
i probably just first noticed they were on stage when that song came on then

dead right about alter ego tho'
every dj around seems to be playing that track
i dont know why
i must have drowned that one out in my drunken stupor
sat afternoon boozing watching the footie was my downfall as the night wore on , great night tho

the sound was much better than last time i was in vicar st.

Macca said:
The Rednecks were awesome. QUOTE]

yeah I thought they played a stormer
nothing like the sight of a man flogging a cymbal with his guitar strap
wasn't mad about shellac - thought they got good near the end though

skinnerchinner said:
i probably just first noticed they were on stage when that song came on then
I think this statement speaks volumes ...

Oh and another thing. I really enjoyed the small part of the Bug's set that I saw but have a question for those of you that know about this kind of thing. Is yer man actually Jamaican or is he from London or something and putting on the accent in a Thrills kind-of-a-way?

I pretty much enjoyed all the sets on the night except my own one.
Goddamn mixing desk - 4 channels packed in since the last time it was used (and not by me either :( ), never noticed until I started playing and the kick drum kept dropping in and out, sub bass vanished and various other important sounds just not there - much head scratching.
Still, that's what happens when you don't soundcheck...

Highlight for me was The Bug.

great night.also enjoyed the bug but was it just me or did they have by far the longest set?i agree with hugh that shellac could have been louder after that noisy onslaught.they were great i thought.i wish i remember more i was a bit too drunk but i think bands like them suffer playing live because their albums are recorded so darn well, people have unreal expectations.'prayer to god' was the high;light of my night.

actually maybe 'song for the minerals'

did anyone else think that shellac were pretty seriously off..? they were pretty much the only reason i went to the gig and aside from making a few fairly obvious mistakes (which I've never ever noticed them do before), they didn't seem to be *anywhere* near as into it as any time i'd seen them before.. i guess all bands have their off nights...

I missed most of Redneck Manifesto on purpose because I only really listen to music made with computers nowadays but I caught the very end of their set. The room was surprisingly full at that early hour and they were getting a good response from the crowd after their songs.

After a pint or two at the bar (loads of space out there, they'd opened up the Shelter too so there were too bars and the queues were pretty small) I headed out to see The Bug. Great stuff as I expected, unfortunately the sound was really bad. Lots of people told me afterwards that it was too loud, I thought it wasn't loud enough, there wasn't enough bass. He suits a small venue like the Shelter much better, it's a pity the Shelter was half empty the last time he played there. His MC is brilliant, full of energy and a funny guy. I'm not really into that "crowd participation" thing though, even if it does get people going, god sure I'm no fun at all.

I skipped off into the bar again for Shellac then went back out to check Decal's live set. I've seen Alan play live a lot and his sets are always very "live" (as in he's actually doing stuff and messing with the sound, which is a good thing) and fist-punchingly danceable, but the low sound once again dulled it a bit for me. Now I'm no sound engineer, and somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but the sound at Decal's last live show in the Shelter (with Metroneem, Simon Conway etc) was a lot better. (I just read Alan's post about his desk being a bit wonky, makes sense)

Plaid's DJ set at the end of the night was a big disappointment. I'm a big Plaid fan, I've seen then about seven or eight times at this stage but all those times were live. They're great live but they're bad DJs. Started off with some interesting hip-hop thing but then played Alter Ego - "Rocker" (currently rivalling Tiga's "Pleasure Was The Bass" as the most overplayed track of the year) which I hate. A few more good tunes cropped up here and there, DK's "Murder Was The Bass" (I was surprised to see such a banging techno track in a Plaid DJ set), Noyeahno - "Chaotic Crash" (excellent grime/breaks track on the pretty obscure Warlock record label), Radioactive Man - "Sight and Sound" (one of my favourite Keith Tenniswood tracks), unfortunately the mixing was terrible. Practically no beat matching or order/plan to the set. I don't mind of some guy from a band plays records without mixing them properly, but there's no excuse for Plaid not being able to mix two tunes together.

Despite my moaning overall it was a really fun night. Lots of old U:Mack heads there that I hadn't seen in a while and I'm sure Shellac were probably the highlight for most people but I gave up on rock music a long time ago so didn't check them out. (yeah it's a pretty bad attitude to have, I still like Faith No More though!)

The sound being low wasn't anything to do with my desk. That was the engineers fault. I think he vanished once I'd started. Tried turning my desk up but I could hear the compressors on the house PA kicking in so I left it as it was.
I think the sound was too low for Plaid too.
May have been something to do with the local residents and the 2AM curfew.

The Bug was as loud as it could possibly be (I was doing sound for them). Vicar Street's PA needs a few more subs. You're right, theres not enough bass in their PA but then again they don't need it for 99% of the gigs they put on.
I think the Bug definitely suites small venues better.

damien said:
did anyone else think that shellac were pretty seriously off..? they were pretty much the only reason i went to the gig and aside from making a few fairly obvious mistakes (which I've never ever noticed them do before), they didn't seem to be *anywhere* near as into it as any time i'd seen them before.. i guess all bands have their off nights...
i've never seen them before but i imagined they'd be a bit better.they were great but i also felt they weren't as into it as they could be.

yeah, soundwise there were a few ickle things that I felt were a bit off on the night.. but that's the nature of these gigs. it's hard to get all the acts sounding their best, esp. with such a variety of acts sharing the one stage. so no disrespect to the engineer(s). although the treble was a bit ear bleeding for the bug.. with regard to shellac, I've seen 'em earlier this year and I can categorically state that they were MUCH better then, than on saturday nite. but it was still fun.. innit?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back