SHELLAC TO HEADLINE U:MACK'S 10th BIRTHDAY PARTY! (NOV 27) (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter u:m
  • Start date
  • Replies 269
  • Views 24K
  • Watchers 13

u:m

U:MACK
Present
U:M 10
10 YEARS OF U:MACK
Featuring
SHELLAC
PLAID (DJ/laptop set)
REDNECK MANIFESTO
THE BUG (LIVE)
DECAL (LIVE)

SATURDAY 27 NOVEMBER. VICAR STREET.
TICKET PRICE TBC
TIMES TBC
NO GUEST LIST

Hi,

u:mack is 10 years old this year. It started in 1994 as a record label to release Decals first album, and then we kind of drifted into promoting concerts. We've gotten lucky a lot of times and hooked up some killer gigs, and occasionally gotten unlucky and run some truly awful gigs. At the very bottom of this mail, under all the biogs, is a list of concerts we've promoted over the years.

We're having a birthday party in vicar street on Saturday november 27.
Our party will start early and end late. we've put a lot of thought and work into The line up, trying to come up with a mixture of awesome rock bands and electronic acts that we think will work well together and make it a killer party.
We're really lucky to have Shellac headlining, as they played the best gig we've ever promoted, in the music centre in 1998, and are the best live band Ive ever seen.
Its also cool that Plaid are playing because they played the first ever u:mack gig.

We aren't sure of the ticket price yet, but we'll do some maths over the weekend and have tickets in the shops on Tuesday.
Below are the biographys of all the bands that are playing
Have a good weekend,
u:mack

SHELLAC

Bob Weston ("Westy", "Rusty", "Robbie", "Bob", "Kitten", "Furball", "Disco Stu") formerly of the Boston-based Volcano Suns (New England's premier post-punk party band) and The Garfield Cadets (world champion drum and bugle corps).
Todd Trainer (no nicknames known) is also Brick Layer Cake, a magnificent minimal rock band, and currently a member of Rifle Sport, the longest lived, least active rock band in Minneapolis. He was also in Breaking Circus during "the good years" and has played drums for Flour and other charity causes.
Steve Albini (no nicknames known) has a closely-guarded, but apparently checkered past.
Shellac At Action Park is Shellac's first LP. Previously the band released "The Rude Gesture (a pictorial history)", "Uranus" and "The Bird Is The Most Popular Finger", all seven inch 45s. They are all still available.
The album was recorded electrically, and features no overdubs, no guest appearances and no tiny cymbals that go "pish".
The LP format of Shellac At Action Park is an audiophile pressing, manufactured to classical standards. Mastering is all analog, direct-to-metal (DMM), and the records are virgin, dye-blackened vinyl, weighing 177 grams (the nice thick ones that don't bend).
The LP is being released somewhere between six weeks and a really long time before the cassette and compact disc, giving anyone teetering on the LP/CD fence ample time and no excuse not to buy the LP.
The LP and CD packaging were printed by Fireproof Press , a thriving Chicago concern most remembered for printing the Sof'Boy figurine package and the Tortoise LP jackets. The LP is a revival of the Uni-pak style record sleeve so popular with early 70's soul bands, in particular Rasputin's Stash. pics/509-8L.jpg
Shellac is not promoted or marketed by anyone. Shellac's recordings are manufactured and distributed in Europe by Southern Studios

THE BUG

"I've always exploited my obsession with bass frequencies," explains the Bug. "How bass moves people, and provokes intense physical reactions."

Ever since his first outing, 'Seismic', in 2001, The Bug has amassed the support of such electronic heavyweights as Andy Weatherall, Adrian Sherwood, Kid 606 and Aphex Twin. In fact Rephlex were so impressed that they quickly snapped 'Pressure' up, whilst 606 has licensed the album to his Tigerbeat 6 label in the US.

The Bug was indelibly marked by the skullcrushing impact of seismic UK dub sound systems (Jah Shaka, Aba-Shanti - i, Iration Steppas etc.) throughout the 90s, and became increasingly obsessed with Ragga's bionic gyrations.

Distilling these influences in 'Pressure', The Bug has formulated a fearsomely original future shock for electro mainliners and yardcore fanatics alike. Enlisting maniacal MCs, blissful crooners and a metaphysical poet, the spectrum of vocals exemplifies the freethinking range of this intense album - a synthesis of electronica and bashment into mutant dancehall for the 21st Century.

From the thug-step ragga of 'Beats, Bombs, Bass, Weapons', to the electronic dub of 'Live & Learn', via the dancehall punk of 'Killer', 'Pressure' ignites bashment anthems, exhausts the echo chamber and mercilessly exploits basstronic frequencies. "Previously I've just been attacking minds with my music," grins The Bug. "Now it's an all out sonic war on mind and body..."

Who is The Bug?

Under various guises (Ice, God, Techno Animal, Curse Of The Golden Vampire), Kevin Martin has worked with Bill Laswell, John Zorn, Kevin Shields, Alec Empire and Company Flow's El-P, among many others.

His remixes credits include DJ Vadim, Palace Brothers and Adrian Sherwood. Martin now runs the Razor X 7" label with The Rootsman.

PLAID

Plaid are Andy Turner and Ed Handley, a pair of truly inspirational producers who were part of an electronic movement in the early nineties that helped re-invent the worlds electronic music scene.
Originally recording as Plaid on their own Black Dog Productions label, and as 2/3 of the inspirational Black Dog on GPR and Warp, Ed and Andy have consistently produced some of the most forward-thinking and groundbreaking music available, from the uber rare and sought after Latin-Jazz tinged 'Mbuki Mvuki' to the classic 'Bytes' and 'Spanners' albums on Warp. Plaid's early releases sat easily beside other like minded producers such as LFO, Aphex Twin, Stasis, Autechre, and Kirk Degeorgio who were also inspired by the beautiful, and futuristic sounds transmitting out of Detroit at the time. With the split of Black Dog, Ed and Andy concentrated on producing under their Plaid pseudonym for Warp, and have produced a string of critically acclaimed remixes and releases consolidating their place among electronic music's elite.

REDNECK MANIFESTO

Formed in August 1998 from the ashes of four of Dublin's finest hardcore bands, The Redneck Manifesto introduced themselves to Dublin audiences by way of a number of 7" singles on their own Greyslate label as well as a split 7" on Road Relish. It was however their debut album 'Thirty Six Strings' recorded by Alan O'Boyle (Decal) and released as a joint venture with French label Red F Records that harnessed the power of their increasingly passionate, tight and hypnotic instrumental live shows. 'Thirty Six Strings' warmly received by press and fans alike was acclaimed 'Irish album of the year' for 2001 by the Event Guide.
In March 2002 the band set off on their first headline European tour and in a bid to help defray tour costs intended releasing a tour EP but instead came up with a companion piece to 'Thirty Six Strings' in the form of their second album 'Cut Your Heart Off From Your Head'. Again recorded with producer Alan O'Boyle this showed the Redneck sound moving forward. Equally receiving very favourable reviews and again being self-released the band found it difficult to keep up with the sales demands the album placed on them. In 2003 The Redneck Manifesto found themselves headlining their stage to a capacity audience at the Witnness festival in Ireland. Also in March that year,
after featuring on a number of BMX Video soundtracks Stateside and receiving much interest from the US BMX-ing community they travelled to play their first shows in the US and were a huge hit at the 2003 South by South West music festival in Texas.
In March the band travelled to France to record their third album 'I am Brazil'. Recorded in the infamous Black Box Studios by Producer Dave Odlum, the album will no doubt be one of the most eagerly awaited Irish records of the coming year. The album is the first recording as a five piece and as such shows a highly expanded and developed sound moving on from where 'Cut your heart off from your head' left off. The band have been keeping a low profile live in the past year but will be undergoing a full Irish, European and US tour
to support the release of the new album in the coming months.
Regarded as one of the countries finest live bands, this innovative and resolutely independent group has bypassed the normal channels of industry hype. The successes they have achieved to date - sold-out venues and snapped-up recordings issued on their own label - have been based entirely on their own merits, hard work and a phenomenal word-of-mouth reputation. 'I am Brazil' will be released on Irish label 'Trust Me I'm A Thief' in September.

DECAL
Based in Dublin city, Ireland, Decal (Alan O'Boyle) has been making electronic music since 1993. Originally a duo, Alan and Dennis McNulty released their debut album 'Ultramack 004' on their own Ultramack label in 1994. Since their debut Decal have released an impressive catalogue of music on a whole host of labels including Rotters Golf Club, Planet Mu, Satamile, Ultramack, Trama Industries, Leaf, Law & Auder, Lo Recordings, D1 Recordings and many others.
In 1998, Alan set up his Trama Industries label, primarily to focus Decal's sound on the electro that had been a feature of the two Ultramack albums and the live shows. The three Decal releases 'Ble e.p.', 'Aquatech' and 'Dreaming of Electro She e.p.' brought Decal to a whole new audience and set the scene for releases on RGC, Satamile and Mass Transit.
With the dancefloor taken care of, Decal returned to the studio to work on what finally became '404 Not
Found'. Sequencers were shunned in favour of tape machines and guitars, percussion and vocals (with Dennis on the gorgeous 'Sunburn') added to the synths and effects. The album was released in 2002 on Mike Paradinas Planet Mu label.
January 2003 saw the departure of Dennis (http://www.dennismcnulty.com) to pursue his work in sound art leaving Alan at the helm. The following six months saw the slimmed down Decal release the critically acclaimed 'Brightest Star' album on Rotters Golf Club, 'Burn From the Inside' on Satamile and the'Static Tactics e.p.' as Decoy on D1 Recordings with the 'Release Through Velocity' album on Satamile completed in December

PAST U:MACK CONCERTS:

BANDS
Rocket From The Crypt
The Kills
Fugazi
No means No
New Bomb Turks
No Use For a Name
Speedball Baby
The Ex
Killdozer
Misty Dixon
Hanson Brothers
J Church
Aidan Smith
Jello Biafra
Jukes
Come
The Vandals
The Delta 72
Make-up
Jawbreaker
Jon Spencer blues explosion
Shellac
Twenty miles
Ken Kesey & the merry pranksters
Ganger
Neurosis
The Misfits
Snuff
Lagwagon
Bouncing Souls
Tilt
Avail
Penthouse
Dirty 3
Man or Astroman?
Zen Guerrilla
Godflesh
Papa M
Black heart procession
Broadcast
Ensign
Les savy fav
Supersuckers
Acid Mothers Temple
Burning Airlines
Pleasure forever
French Toast
Mark Lanegan (screaming tree's)

DJ's
DJ Hell
Aphex Twin (warp/rephlex)
Anthony shake Shakir
Suburban Knight (UR)
Patrick Pulsinger (cheap)
Surgeon (Tresor)
Andy Votel (twisted nerve)
Blake Baxter (UR)
Mateo Murphy (gigilo / turbo)
Andrew Weatherall (two lone swordsmen)
MixMaster Morris (ninja tunes)
Luke Vibert (wagon Christ)
Mark Broom
Paul Hartnoll (Orbital)
Alex Patterson (The Orb)
Richard Thair (Red Snapper)
Ian O'Brien (peacefrog)
Dan Curtin (peacefrog)
Rephlex master control
I-f (disko-b)
Darren Emerson (underworld)
Spring Heel Jack
Mira Calix (warp)
Keith Tenniswood (two lone swordsmen)
David Holmes
Marshall Jefferson
Carl Craig (planet e)
Cristian Vogel (no-future)
Neil Landstrumm (Tresor)
Lewis Keogh (the Orb)
Baby Ford
Alec Empire (Atari Teenage Riot)
Russ Gabriel (Ferox)
Andera Parker (mo wax)
Andy Maddocks & Rob Hall (Skam)
Jerry Dammers (specials)
Soul jazz djs (100% dynamite)
Twitch & Brainstorm (pure)
Steve Barrow (blood & fire)
Dennis Alcapone (Jamacia)
Gescom (skam)

LIVE ELECTRONIC:
Squarepusher (warp)
Terence Fixmer (Gigilo)
The Bug (rephlex)
Cylob (rephlex)
British Murder Boys
Maas (soma)
Freeform (warp/skam)
Alder & Elius (skam)
Meam (skam)
Quinoline Yellow (skam)
Jega(skam)
Bandulu
Ambulance (ultramack)
Innerzone Orchestra (planet e)
Ovuca (rephlex)
Bogdan Raczynski (rephlex)
Mu-ziq (Planet mu)
Plaid (warp)
Autechre (warp)
Speedy J (novamute)
Third Eye Foundation (Domino)
Rob Rowland (D1)
Richard H. Kirk (Caberet Voltaire)
Mike Dred (rephlex)
DMX Krew (rephlex)
Pole (basic channel)
Stephen Brown (djax/ transmat)
Buckfunk 3000 (Language)
Chris Clark (warp)
Team Shadetek (warp)
Bola (skam)
Deep Burial (ultramack)
Anodyne (ultramack)
Plone (Warp)
Radioactive Man (R.T.G)
Super_Collider (no-future)
Two Lone Swordsmen (warp)

same gig I'd wreckon..

ohboyoboyboyoboy!!! shellac! plaid! awesome. I love plaid. they always put on a deadly show..

woz the story with us culchie boys and girls? will there be tickets on sale for this is cork?

:) :) :) :) :) .|..|

happy b-day u:mack!

plug said:
same gig I'd wreckon..

ohboyoboyboyoboy!!! shellac! plaid! awesome. I love plaid. they always put on a deadly show..

woz the story with us culchie boys and girls? will there be tickets on sale for this is cork?

:) :) :) :) :) .|..|

happy b-day u:mack!
hey plug, they're selling tickets in plugd, you have to put a deposit of two quid on it so i'd recommend getting yer ass in there tomorrow at the latest!

Alan Remorse said:
hey plug, they're selling tickets in plugd, you have to put a deposit of two quid on it so i'd recommend getting yer ass in there tomorrow at the latest!
fuck! shit! I'll run down now. ta for the tip alan.. I won't forgive myself if I miss this shit. I have a not so proud history of missing shellac. the first time was their first uk gig I believe, at the phoenix festival in '93 or '94. then I missed them at atp shellac, where they played 3 times in one weekend. I was back in my chalet watching telly. they played twice at atp this year. I saw them once. fuckin' eejit!!! :D

Can't wait ... happy birthday Timo!

Ok here's comes the thread hijacking plug ...

For those of you who want to make a day of it, Road Relish #14 with giveamanakick and Waiting Room is being launch that same day in the afternoon at 2pm in Whelans. Both bands playing. So much rock in the one day ....

More details at http://www.roadrelish.com

hugh said:
Can't wait ... happy birthday Timo!

Ok here's comes the thread hijacking plug ...

For those of you who want to make a day of it, Road Relish #14 with giveamanakick and Waiting Room is being launch that same day in the afternoon at 2pm in Whelans. Both bands playing. So much rock in the one day ....

More details at http://www.roadrelish.com

"Ok here's comes the thread hijacking plug ..." how confusing. I thought someone was calling me a thread hijacker. silly me.

yes, it will be a rich, full day. the question is: how much rock can one man take? lots hopefully

plug said:
how much rock can one man take?
when i was a kid i threw up after 4 candy rocks that my folks bought me back from holidays.

kidscorner3medd.jpg

looking forward to seeing the bug again. pretty impressive list of gigs too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back