pete

chronic procrastinator
Staff member
Since 1999
Solutions
Website
thumped.com
Hey kids

I've updated that there announcement up there with details of the planned direct action / mass civil disobedience planned for this Saturday, or you can just read it at Indymedia Ireland.

So who's going?

Originally posted by pete
Hey kids

I've updated that there announcement up there with details of the planned direct action / mass civil disobedience planned for this Saturday, or you can just read it at Indymedia Ireland.
Nice one, Pete.
Cheers for the publicity.

The Grassroots Network first announced this demonstration on Feb 10th as it looked very likely that war would start in early March. We wanted a properly planned direct action as the previous one we organised on December 8th was - to be honest - shambolic from an organisational point of view.

Personally speaking, I'm new to both anti-war and political activity and in December, I had no interest in direct action tactics such as tearing down the fence. However since then, I have come to see the worth of direct action thanks to the (minor) success of Mary Kelly and the Catholic Worker 5 in stopping refuelling. I made a decision to get more involved and I went along to a local branch of the IAWM but the Grassroots meetings offered a more interesting hands-on practical role in both decision-making and in how decisions are implememted. I like the idea of non-hierarchial organisation but I have also seen how difficult the logistics of it are when planning an event with similarly ad hoc groups from all over the country. Especially when different groups and individuals have so many differnt ideas as to what the most effective way to proceed is.

At the moment I'm just glad that the details of the plan for Saturday are finally publicised. It's a pity that we couldn't do it sooner to give us more breathing space before Saturday but the decision making process couldn't really be shortened while still remaining democratic. In any case, global events are proceeding rapidly and we were going to be stuck for time in anyway.

It's great that there is an open detailed plan which provides a range of levels of action that people can participate in. I also think it's great that the Irish Anti War Movement are coming along on the same day as a mass direct action is what we want and the more people at Shannon on the day, the safer it will be for all.

For those who are interested, an A3 poster for the event is available for download.

So who's going?
I suppose I should go really.

i'm afraid i won't, so if one of yis can dismantle a b-52 on my behalf, i'd be very grateful.

Originally posted by silo
i'm afraid i won't.
It looks like you're not the only one. For one reason or another only one of my mates is coming down. :(

For anyone who's thinking of coming down, ring 087-7501473 to book your ticket. We need people to buy tickets in advance as we have to pay for the bus beforehand and so far sales haven't been that fast.

For more details, check out the Grassroots Network Against War website
For those worried about the legalities, check out http://www.gluaiseacht.org/legal/

Bus ticket from GNAW are €14 waged, €11 (i think, maybe 12) unwaged.
ring and book tickets tho, you go with IAWM, you have to listen to crap SWP people all the way there and have them try and sell u newspapers... argh

http://www.rte.ie/news/2003/0227/shannon.html

The Peace and Neutrality Alliance and the Limerick-based Mid West Alliance against Military Aggression, have pulled out of this Saturday's peace rally at Shannon over fears there could be violence.

The 'Grassroots network against War' a website of one of the groups involved in this weekend's peace protest, had called on people taking part to trespass, and 'help pull the airport perimeter fence down'.

hmmm

yeah, i'm expecting a lot of this crazies-climbing-fences type coverage for the d.a.; gonna stay here and do some media monitoring.

Originally posted by Ed
promise?

I swear.... sometimes

So tickets selling like hotcakes for the non-swp busses, NCAD + Grassroots, prolly most people will have to go the IAWM way.
Shure at least it'll keep yis out of trouble, not hangin out with the mad loony violent fence wreckers:p

(12:46) The Labour Party and Sinn Féin have asked their members and supporters not to attend tomorrow's anti-war protest in Shannon, because of concerns about possible disorder.

The Green Party said MEP Patricia McKenna would not attend the protest, despite being invited.

Labour said it was advising its members and supporters to attend a peace rally in Dublin instead. In a statement, Labour said it endorsed only peaceful and non-violent protest.

Labour spokesman Michael D Higgins, who had attended the news conference announcing tomorrow's protest, confirmed today he would not be attending.

The Peace and Neutrality Alliance and several other groups had already announced they would not be supporting the direct action anti-war protest.

They include the Limerick-based Mid West Alliance against Military Aggression (MAMA), NGO Peace Alliance and AFRI.

But the group organising the protest, Grassroots Network Against War, said its planned mass trespass would be a peaceful protest, 'in the tradition of Gandhi's salt march'. In a statement today, the group rejected suggestions that the diversion of opinion over the plans represented a split in the anti-war movement.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2003/0228/morningireland/morningireland2a.ram

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back