Shane Ferguson to declare for Ireland (1 Viewer)

Luther Blissett

The Good Friday Agreement pays footballing dividends yet again:

North admit defeat in fight for Ferguson

Northern Ireland manager Nigel Worthington has effectively admitted defeat in his attempts to stop Newcastle's Shane Ferguson declaring for the Republic of Ireland.

The Derry-born left-sided player won a senior cap for the North in a friendly against Italy in June 2009, but under FIFA rules he is still eligible to switch his international allegiance.

All the indications are that Ferguson is ready to follow the same path as Darron Gibson, Shane Duffy, Marc Wilson and Daniel Kearns and switch to the south, although he has yet to formalise that arrangement with the FAI.

However, a downbeat Worthington revealed yesterday that he had unsuccessfully tried to speak to the 19-year-old.

And, in a further blow to football authorities in Belfast, Preston teenager Daniel Devine has indicated that he wants to play for Ireland as well.

Was listening to off the ball last night and they were saying that Worthington had been calling Ferguson's phone and leaving voicemails but they're not being returned. I've only seen the kid play once for Newcastle but he did happen to have an outstanding game that day.

To be honest given what happened to Lennon I'm not surprised that a northern catholic might be unwilling to play for them regardless of how strongly one might feel about nationalism. Sucks for the IFA though.

Was listening to off the ball last night and they were saying that Worthington had been calling Ferguson's phone and leaving voicemails but they're not being returned. I've only seen the kid play once for Newcastle but he did happen to have an outstanding game that day.

To be honest given what happened to Lennon I'm not surprised that a northern catholic might be unwilling to play for them regardless of how strongly one might feel about nationalism. Sucks for the IFA though.

I'd say the IFA are spitting teeth alright, but as you said it's easy to understand the decision given recent events.

With Arsenal's Conor Henderson switching his allegiance to Ireland a few years back (having previously played for England U17s) the future is looking bright on the left-side of midfield.

With Arsenal's Conor Henderson switching his allegiance to Ireland a few years back (having previously played for England U17s) the future is looking bright on the left-side of midfield.

Henderson is an odd case, played u-16 for us according to the wiki, then u-17 for England before coming back and eventually deciding to go for us. Wenger says that he expects him to be a member of the first team squad next season which could mean a couple of Carling Cup games before heading off on loan in January like some of the other prospects at the club did this season. One senior game against Orient in the Cup, he did alright, was on the bench at the weekend.

flanagan, robinson, coady and kelly at liverpool HAVE to have irish connections...come on lads. you'll never play for england.

Robinson isn't the most Irish name in the world, but yes, I hope the rest have been profiled and tempted with offers of entire estates in Clara.

and a whole heap of serfs to work the land.
sure the queen's a paddy now. come on team gb!

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back