Jesus & Mary Chain 1987
Sugarcubes 1989
Wonderstuff 1989
Wedding Present 1990 + 1991
House Of Love 1990
My Bloody Valentine 1992
Fugazi/Chumbawamba/In Motion 1992
The Cramps 1995

at the wonder stuff in '89, miles hunt threw his scrawled lyrics for "gimme some truth" the john lennon song they covered, into the crowd and i caught it. i treasured that piece of paper for about a week i also hung out with a chick with a hares lip.

i was also at weddoes and hol gigs. didnt enjoy as much as mcgonagles shows, mostly because of the power of dreams. those gigs cost around 6.50 pounds. imagine that. fugazi was amazing. ah the memories.

anyone else see hol, weddoes, mbv, sonic youth, ride, kitchens of distinction, loop etc in mc gonagles? i wish that venue still existed.

also, what happened the tivoli. that was a cool spot.

nlgbbbblth said:
I saw That Petrol Emotion and Alice In Chains there
enjoyable.

most memorable gigs there

Jesus & Mary Chain 1987
Sugarcubes 1989
Wonderstuff 1989
Wedding Present 1990 + 1991
House Of Love 1990
My Bloody Valentine 1992
Fugazi/Chumbawamba/In Motion 1992
The Cramps 1995

ramps said:
at the wonder stuff in '89, miles hunt threw his scrawled lyrics for "gimme some truth" the john lennon song they covered, into the crowd and i caught it. i treasured that piece of paper for about a week i also hung out with a chick with a hares lip.

niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiicccccccccccccccceeeeeeeeee
I remember being very sweaty at that gig.

ramps said:
i was also at weddoes and hol gigs. didnt enjoy as much as mcgonagles shows, mostly because of the power of dreams. those gigs cost around 6.50 pounds. imagine that. fugazi was amazing. ah the memories.

I liked Power of Dreams. They chugged along nicely.
Yeah, those gigs were cheap. Pixies + Pale Saints was 6.50 in The Stadium

The Wedding Present McGonagles was ace, although the 1991 SFX gig bettered it. House Of Love McGonagles was amazing.

me too, i used to have long hair in those days and it used to get all matted. groo, im glad my sweat glands have finally packed in after so much activity in my teenage years. anyway, i was in the front row. the bass thing was marching up and down the stage staring at the audience. it was quite unsettling.

nlgbbbblth said:
niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiicccccccccccccccceeeeeeeeee
I remember being very sweaty at that gig.

ramps said:
anyone else see hol, weddoes, mbv, sonic youth, ride, kitchens of distinction, loop etc in mc gonagles?

saw House of Love, Wedding Present - see above
My Bloody Valentine (not great)
Sonic Youth - good, didn't Teenage Fanclub support. £6 a ticket; some dude paid £70 outside.
Ride - yes. marvellous.
Missed Kitchens of Distinction
Loop - was mental. Therapy? supported. Around the time of A Gilded Eternity. Loop = great band

Stacy said:
"Here has been a Theatre/Community Centre on the site since the middle of the 19th Century. The SFX (St Francis Xavier Hall) existed originally to help combat poverty and social abuse in the northern inner city (then one of the most deprived in Europe) and, in the last century became identified with a wide range of socially driven works.

In the 1950s,it became the home of the RTE Symphony Orchestra(Shostakovitch conducted here),while the 60s,70s and 80s saw the SFX hosting concerts and gigs from some of the greatest bands and names in rock.

The building has been a theatre,studio and rehearsal space since 1999 and remains unique in Dublin for its ambience, flexibility and versatility."

ah im sure mcd could do with the money.

Jesus, they really shouldn't knock that down. It's funny, if it were 150 years older, it would be more likely to be protected. But in just a few years, people are going to look at that site and think it a pity that an opportunity for a place to retain its historic use (even if it isn't the same building) was lost.

How old is the actual fabric of the building? When you object to pending planning permission, is there a way to explain why you are objecting?

My legislation knowledge is very, very sketchy, but I think it's in one of the Local Government Planning act or something like that (1998, if I'm even in the right ballpark), that says that age or connection to known historical figure can no longer be the only criteria for protecting a structure. Anyway, wherever it is in the legislation, there is a clause that states that a building can be considered for protection if it is a unique example of its kind.

Unfortunately, MCD have big money and can probably buy enough solicitors' time to wrangle their way out of any objections.

1991 was the seamonsters tour right? i remember that being pretty noisy. but good.
hol in mc gonagles was unbelievable, a real event, bickers in his heyday!

the gig in the village earlier this year was just average. no destroy the heart. i mean really!

nlgbbbblth said:
I liked Power of Dreams. They chugged along nicely.
Yeah, those gigs were cheap. Pixies + Pale Saints was 6.50 in The Stadium

The Wedding Present McGonagles was ace, although the 1991 SFX gig bettered it. House Of Love McGonagles was amazing.

hugh said:
They can't knock it and maybe the interior is protected like the Long Hall is but ....... there's probably nothing stopping them doing a Kehoes on it. i.e. just generally fucking with it in subtle ways that turn it into a shit pub.

I caught a bit of this on the radio this morning, and I was trying to block it out of my mind. They will, of course, have to keep the interior, but yeah, there's nothing to stop them changing some of the great things about it: no TV, no alcopops, no music.

i really enjoyed mbv. sonic youth was deadly, fannies were awesome. ride deadly. kod amazing. loop amazing, yes with a very impressive therapy, before they lost it. i fuckin love loop. recently re-acquired collision 12" from e bay. a personal favourite.

nlgbbbblth said:
saw House of Love, Wedding Present - see above
My Bloody Valentine (not great)
Sonic Youth - good, didn't Teenage Fanclub support. £6 a ticket; some dude paid £70 outside.
Ride - yes. marvellous.
Missed Kitchens of Distinction
Loop - was mental. Therapy? supported. Around the time of A Gilded Eternity. Loop = great band

ramps said:
1991 was the seamonsters tour right? i remember that being pretty noisy. but good.
hol in mc gonagles was unbelievable, a real event, bickers in his heyday!

the gig in the village earlier this year was just average. no destroy the heart. i mean really!

yeah 15 May 1991, Seamonsters due out the following week. Buffalo Tom played a crazy set.
Yeah, Bickers was on top form. Missed 2005 gig in Village, heard it was poor. But the new album is good. No Destroy The Heart was a bad decision.

There was a piece in the current issue of Village about it and says that the exterior and ground floor interior are listed as they're 260 years old.

Well that explains the smell in the bogs then...

Maybe MCD will buy it, knock the crap out of it anyway and build their headquarters there?

sg

Audiodelic said:
There was a piece in the current issue of Village about it and says that the exterior and ground floor interior are listed as they're 260 years old.

Well that explains the smell in the bogs then...

Maybe MCD will buy it, knock the crap out of it anyway and build their headquarters there?

sg

i was under the impression that mcd/denis desmond already owned the sfx (maybe i'm wrong)

ramps said:
i really enjoyed mbv. sonic youth was deadly, fannies were awesome. ride deadly. kod amazing. loop amazing, yes with a very impressive therapy, before they lost it. i fuckin love loop. recently re-acquired collision 12" from e bay. a personal favourite.

MBV sound wasn't too hot I remember although the atmosphere was good.
Fannies only had Everything Flows out at that point, I remember they played the bulk of Catholic Education stuff and possibly a Heavy Metal instrumental

remember The King LP? deleted after one day in August 1991.

also saw in McGonagles
Happy Mondays + The Shamen 1989. Awesome.
Inspiral Carpets 1990. Really, really good
Carter USM 1991. Sweaty
Blur 1991. Not good, got a freebie
Curve 1991. Swoon
Mega City Four 1992. Rubbish.

did you ever go to the club thing? notably thursday night? btw, i really enjoyed mega city 4. (ahem) i wasnt really into blur at that stage or curve or carter really. i missed the other two for some reason. yeah, the king, i never bought it.

nlgbbbblth said:
Fannies only had Everything Flows out at that point, I remember they played the bulk of Catholic Education stuff and possibly a Heavy Metal instrumental

also saw in McGonagles
Carter USM 1991. Sweaty
Curve 1991. Swoon

youre not from blanch are you?

nlgbbbblth said:

also saw in McGonagles
Carter USM 1991. Sweaty
Curve 1991. Swoon

Audiodelic said:
Sorry, I was on another tangent on this thread and referring to the ever fragrant Stag's Head!

sold for 5.7 million today to louis fitzgerald apparently - says he won't change it but new owners of cool pubs always say that.... and then they change it.

always think of my dad when i go in there for lunch/pints, he first took me in there many years ago, great for the lunch so it was :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back