Website
blog.myspace.com
Upper, Dublin 1.

Proposed development: permission to demolish existing SFX Centre and
erect a five-storey apartment building that steps down to
three-storeys on the southern boundary with a detached two-storey
building on the south-west corner of the site. The development will
consist of 41 apartments comprising 19 one-bedroom, 16 two-bedroom and
six three-bedroom units with underground car-parking for 41 cars.
Applicant: MCD.

http://www.ireland.com/newspaper/property/2005/0428/3271955526RPPLAN_28.html

Thats shit. heard about that awhile back. I reckon if it was painted a more subtle colour and renovated a little, they'd never get away with doing such a thing.

went to some great gigs there.

What's all this about "SEX to be demolished"? Hah?

Ok, I'll get my coat
home-improvement-12.jpg

well they might not get permission. This is what objections is for...

La La said:
'sake. another landmark on the way out.

they better not start knockin it down while the convention is on!

ah nooooo. i went to so many brilliant gigs there. (and also made my stage debut there at the age of five when it was the st. francis xavier hall.)

"Here has been a Theatre/Community Centre on the site since the middle of the 19th Century. The SFX (St Francis Xavier Hall) existed originally to help combat poverty and social abuse in the northern inner city (then one of the most deprived in Europe) and, in the last century became identified with a wide range of socially driven works.

In the 1950s,it became the home of the RTE Symphony Orchestra(Shostakovitch conducted here),while the 60s,70s and 80s saw the SFX hosting concerts and gigs from some of the greatest bands and names in rock.

The building has been a theatre,studio and rehearsal space since 1999 and remains unique in Dublin for its ambience, flexibility and versatility."

ah im sure mcd could do with the money.

hugh said:
MCD are property developers now? I hope they tear down the Village and turn it into apartments.

they kind of are they own or have major control over most big venues in dublin. I would almost lodge an objection just to annoy MCD.

bad news for the KRS one gig i would imagine, unless he wants to play a building site

you probably could object about its change of use. The criteria for objecting are to do with the current plan the city council have for the area in which the development you are objecting to is located. So if their plan stipulates that the whole of sherrard st should be regerated into a soulless apartment block then you'd be bang out of luck. It's probably not though. Objecting might well be worth while. It costs 20 quid to lodge an objection though and you only have a short period of time in which to do it. If the council refuses permission they'll most likely (MCD) then appeal it to an bord pleanala, and for a private citizen to lodge a further objection with them will cost you 50 euro.

kirstie said:
you probably could object about its change of use. The criteria for objecting are to do with the current plan the city council have for the area in which the development you are objecting to is located. So if their plan stipulates that the whole of sherrard st should be regerated into a soulless apartment block then you'd be bang out of luck. It's probably not though. Objecting might well be worth while. It costs 20 quid to lodge an objection though and you only have a short period of time in which to do it. If the council refuses permission they'll most likely (MCD) then appeal it to an bord pleanala, and for a private citizen to lodge a further objection with them will cost you 50 euro.
I recently objected to a similar dev. and lost both appeals...it's a joke.It wasn't even zoned for apartments.
It's a statement of how this country is going. We are losing our cultural heritage at warp speed. Apartments create so much wealth for the owner of the site and the builder that I know of two pubs in town which are being knocked to pave way for flats. If it keeps on going I'm getting the fuck outta here. Italy anyone?

I did too. The development was refused permission by the council and the developer is now appealing it to an bord pleanala. I'm hoping they don't get it because if they do, our already north facing flat will be darker and we'll have a load of windows facing us about 30-40 feet away.

Edit: this makes me sound really NIMBY but that wasn't the reason we objected. We objected because the developer was the same one who built our development and a year+ later still hasn't finished it off. We were hoping that if he was refused permission because people had objected on the grounds that he left his last development unfinished then that would make him finish ours first. Then he could go and build what he liked as far as we were concerned. it was only when we got the letter back from the city council which contained their reasoning for why they were turning it down that we realised how actually awful it would have been to live with.

Divil A Bit said:
I recently objected to a similar dev. and lost both appeals...it's a joke.It wasn't even zoned for apartments.
It's a statement of how this country is going. We are losing our cultural heritage at warp speed. Apartments create so much wealth for the owner of the site and the builder that I know of two pubs in town which are being knocked to pave way for flats. If it keeps on going I'm getting the fuck outta here. Italy anyone?

ja, big article in the tribune about it on sunday.
rocktopus said:
I just heard that the Stags Head is being sold this week too. Be a shame to see that go

das funkinstein said:
i would imagine there is some kind of protection order on that building.

They can't knock it and maybe the interior is protected like the Long Hall is but ....... there's probably nothing stopping them doing a Kehoes on it. i.e. just generally fucking with it in subtle ways that turn it into a shit pub.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back