Sexism, god help us (1 Viewer)

Ann Post

OUT

tumblr_m3rtyerfHZ1qir45xo1_500.gif

#Gamergate: we must fight for the right to fantasise | Brendan O’Neill | spiked

Decent defence of free speech, although it's just Spiked being Spiked ("what does the Guardian think? We think the opposite")

Same lad who told Ireland to get stop moaning about the Tuam babies story.

I'm going to start off by saying that I've played GTA games in the past and I think they're really good fun. I also would oppose the ban on selling these games on the basis that it sets a dangerous precedent with regards to censorship. Everything else this guy says is complete and utter bullshit. Gamergate isn't about ethics, free speech or anything of the sort. It's a misogynistic culture war that's being started by a bunch of fucking neckbeards.

And what's this bullshit that he has in his article about "if I was in Middle Earth I could be murdered by Orcs". Seriously, what sort of fucking argument is that? Prostitutes are murdered on a regular basis, a former sex worker raises a valid concern that a hugely popular game glamourising this activity might be a bad idea and THAT's his fucking counter argument. For fuck sake.

For another slant on the whole gamergate thing here's a very interesting article from the woman at the centre of the whole controversy

5 Things I Learned as the Internet's Most Hated Person | Cracked.com

Yeah i'd pretty much agree with you to be honest. Like I said, they're obsessed with free speech to the point of being a bit out of touch with reality.

Gamergate seems to have fuck all to do with free speech and more to do mouthbreathing fuckheads abusing and intimidating women
Well that website has fuck all to do with gamergate. They were just using it as another angle for their own agenda. As is always the case I suppose.

Yeah fair point, I would be of the opinion that it works on the reactionary foundation that people who read Spiked are already left-leaning and they, as a magazine, are attempting to challenge you. Maybe I'm actually way wrong.

For what it's worth:

Spiked (magazine) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

says it grew out of something called Living Marxism.

Wow. Very interesting. I disagree with Ann Post about it being futile to try and discern ideals behind online publications by the way. I think you clearly can in this case, and it's really important to try and do so in order to contextualise what they are saying.

I bet Spiked love John Gray.

Sex, Bog Bodies And Nina Simone: Hozier Reveals His Surprising Influences - MTV

MTV: Speaking of over-the-moon, how was the Victoria’s Secret Fashion Show? How do you think your music goes along with a bunch of ladies in lingerie?

Hozier: I mean, ‘Take Me To Church’ is about sex. So, it’s not all that inappropriate. I mean, you know, it’s lingerie. It’s underwear. And it is sexual. I mean, the song is sexual. [Lingerie] has something to do with female sexual agency and having control over your own sexuality and your own body. For me that’s something that the music deals with also.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back