Sexism, god help us (1 Viewer)

presumably he'd write a similarly impassioned and totally not clickbait defence of any game that features murder of jews, blacks, homosexuals etc. for titillation...for some reason those games don't exist though

He probably would tbh. Mad into their free-speech on that website.

I think it's a good article myself, although I'd be picking and choosing the bits I agree with.

after googling 'spiked racist' i see that you're absolutely right. they have the courage for calling it as they see it of richard littlejohn, katie hopkins and jeremy clarkson combined.

presumably he'd write a similarly impassioned and totally not clickbait defence of any game that features murder of jews, blacks, homosexuals etc. for titillation...for some reason those games don't exist though

shhh... ive been working on 'final solution 2' (FS2) for months now. its going to be the number 1 first person war criminal seller this time next year.

Never seen that site before. Seems like some sort of extreme mad-libertarian vibe going on. They have a section called UKIP. Are they UKIP supporters?

It's like 19th Century liberalism gone mad. Our age is apparently "modernity-loathing" and their guiding light is Saint-Simon. The golden age of humanity is ahead of us etc.

And if anyone paying attention to this gamergate thing really cares about freedom of speech, then they should be more concerned about defending the rights of feminists to offer critique of video game culture without being threatened with rape and murder, than about the rights of video game players to fantasise about killing prostitutes.

edit: ok maybe not "killing prostitutes" (do you get to do that in GTA V? I've no idea) .. let's say "fantasise about having sex with prostitutes" instead.

Never seen that site before. Seems like some sort of extreme mad-libertarian vibe going on.

It's like 19th Century liberalism gone mad. Our age is apparently "modernity-loathing" and their guiding light is Saint-Simon. The golden age of humanity is ahead of us etc.
It's a bit of a tiresome website for it's relentless contrariness but I find it a useful sounding board for when the right-on internet is busy congratulating itself on outing whoever tweeted something uncool this week.

They have a section called UKIP. Are they UKIP supporters?

No they're very leftist but with a massive libertarianist streak. For example they're happy to defend pro-lifers

Free Speech Now! | The moral crusade against pro-life students | Abortion | Down with campus censorship! | Free speech | spiked

while having a pro-choice stance:

Why I am pro-choice | Brendan O’Neill | spiked

their thought is usually rigorous but, to be honest, it often feels a bit detached from reality and basically they just like to give out about the Guardian a lot.

Their editor writes for the Telegraph as well, which is a bit mad since my understanding is that that's a Tory-loving newspaper

Last edited:
do they ever apply their rigorous thoughts to their partisan status as white males?
Plenty of women and people of different races write for the website.

Anyway I'm not here to champion it, like all publications it has its uses and its problems.

i see very few

looking through their main subtopic pages, there are two women whose special area is decrying the need for feminism, the rest are white dudes

And if anyone paying attention to this gamergate thing really cares about freedom of speech, then they should be more concerned about defending the rights of feminists to offer critique of video game culture without being threatened with rape and murder, than about the rights of video game players to fantasise about killing prostitutes.

My main feeling on gamergate is that if there's an area of journalism that I give the least fuck about the ethics of it's probably video games journalism.

No they're very leftist but with a massive libertarianist streak.

Their editor writes for the Telegraph as well, which is a bit mad since my understanding is that that's a Tory-loving newspaper

I dunno, I don't see anything leftist about the politics articles I am scanning through. Consistent bashing of the Labour party (which of course does not necessarily make you a "non" leftist), think-pieces about UKIP that don't necessarily come out and directly support them but nevertheless adopt that slightly disengenuous "we must undertand the reasons for their popularity", constant Euro-scepticism, anti-interventionism abroad (critical of UK policies intervening in Iraq for example), articles called "We can cope without the state", etc. etc.,

Basically this seems to me like the right-wing of the Tory party.

My main feeling on gamergate is that if there's an area of journalism that I give the least fuck about the ethics of it's probably video games journalism.

I give few fucks about this issue also however it's not about this issue. It was disingenuously turned into this issue as a means of shutting down a much broader critique.

I give few fucks about this issue also however it's not about this issue. It was disingenuously turned into this issue as a means of shutting down a much broader critique.

Sorry yeah, you're right of course. I meant that if I was someone who was into games and genuinely felt "actually it's about ethics in games journalism" and saw what it turned into, or even copped what it was about from the start, what kind of asshole would I be if I stil l pursued that line.

I dunno, I don't see anything leftist about the politics articles I am scanning through. Consistent bashing of the Labour party (which of course does not necessarily make you a "non" leftist), think-pieces about UKIP that don't necessarily come out and directly support them but nevertheless adopt that slightly disengenuous "we must undertand the reasons for their popularity", constant Euro-scepticism, anti-interventionism abroad (critical of UK policies intervening in Iraq for example), articles called "We can cope without the state", etc. etc.,

Basically this seems to me like the right-wing of the Tory party.
Yeah fair point, I would be of the opinion that it works on the reactionary foundation that people who read Spiked are already left-leaning and they, as a magazine, are attempting to challenge you. Maybe I'm actually way wrong.

For what it's worth:

Spiked (magazine) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

says it grew out of something called Living Marxism.

would you have a breakdown there of the percentages of women and different races ('plenty' of them, you said) on the staff?

You are quite correct, more white men write for it than anyone else. Apologies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back