SAUL WILLIAMS at Cork, Galway and Dublin next week (1 Viewer)

Deaglan

Website
www.goodluckski.com
SAUL WILLIAMS
“Akin to Gil-Scott Heron on Nazi crank… fantastic” NME

CrawDaddy, Old Harcourt St Station

Wed 30th Nov. Doors 8pm

Tickets €17.50/20 from Ticketmaster and usual outlets. 0818 719 300. www.ticketmaster.ie

Following a memorable sell-out Irish debut in August; Saul Williams returns to Dublin’s CrawDaddy next Wednesday 30th Nov. this tour also sees him take in Cork’ Cyprus Avenue on Monday 28th Nov and Roisin Dubh in Galway on Tues 29th.

An intellectual politically-driven rapper/author/poet/actor who grew up in Newburgh, New York state (officially recognized as the worst ghetto in the US); SAUL WILLIAMS is the polar opposite of the gun-toting gangster who makes up the stereotype of the black American rapper. With a following that appeals as much to indie and metal fans – he supported Nine Inch Nails in Europe earlier this year and will do a spoken word performance at the All Tomorrow’s Parties festival in December as a special guest on The Mars Volta – Saul’s recent collaborators include Serj Tankian (System of A Down), Zack de La Rocha (Rage Against the Machine), TV on the Radio and the afore-mentioned Mars Volta. Come see what all the fuss is about!

www.saulwilliams.com
SAUL WILLIAMS
Saul Williams DID NOT almost die, get shot, beat up, stand trial for murder, but he does have babies by two different women if that counts. Say word.

The past decade HAS seen Saul Williams emerge as one of the world's most recognized poets as well as a rising actor and a highly acclaimed musician. In the music world, Saul made noise with some tracks in the mid to late 90's on the Eargasm and Lyricist Lounge compilations, to name a few. The songs he released during this time period were grounded in hip-hop but were a far cry from the traditional rap that was gaining popularity at the time. He released 2001's Amethyst Rockstar, which was co-produced by Rick Rubin and won him critical acclaim all over the world (The Times of London named it best album of the year), leading to him touring with Blackalicious, Cursive and The Mars Volta. Which brings us to his latest album, simply titled 'Saul Williams'. In Saul's own words, "the tracks range from politics to relationships and the politics of relationships. What I ended up with was something that captured the authoritative cool of hip- hop, the playful angst of rock and roll, the raw emotional torment of emo (and, my favorite, "screamo"), and the fuck offness of punk."

"Musically, if I had to categorize the album, I think I'd call it industrial punk-hop, as is best exemplified in the song Grippo. I did most of the music myself. The cool thing about recording before there was an actual deal in place was the fact that most songs simply started as experiments done in my free time with absolutely no pressure to anyone. I was the only one whose head nod determined the fate of a song. Oh, and of course, yours too…"

Saul Williams has defined and redefined poetry as an accessible, living art form. His groundbreaking work as a writer and actor in the critically acclaimed film, Slam (Sundance's Grand Jury Prize '98; Cannes' Camera D'Or '98), garnered him a substantial amount of notoriety and placed him in the limelight as the figurehead for a new generation of poets, spoken word artists and actors. He is the author of three collections of poetry: ,said the shotgun to the head. (2003 MTV Books/Simon and Schuster), She (1999 MTV Books/Simon and Schuster), and The Seventh Octave (1997 Moore Black Press). His writings appear in several anthologies and periodicals such as Catch the Fire, andThe New York Times respectively.

In addition to Slam, Saul has made several television appearances, including: a recurring role on the UPN hit sitcom Girlfriends; HBO's Def Poetry Jam; The Orlando Jones Show; The Chris Rock Show; Politically Incorrect; and many more, as well as co-starring with Kevin Spacey in K-Pax, and with Jeffery Wright and Louis Gossett, Jr in the upcoming Halle Berry produced/ George Wolfe directed HBO film, Lackwanna Blues. He has also contributed his work and attention to the 'Not In Our Name' initiative. His draft of their "Pledge of Resistance" served as a manifesto of millions across the world who have sought to stop the war in Iraq and Afghanistan. This was signed by Susan Sarandon, Noam Chomsky, Ossie Davis, Gloria Steinhem, Sean Penn and Kurt Vonnegut among others and ran full page in dailies like The New York Times and the Washington Post. His one-man off-broadway show directed by Peter Askin (Spic-O-Rama, Hedwig and the Angry Inch) will debut in late 2004. In 2005, he will perform, said the shotgun to the head with the Basel Symphony in Switzerland.

Saul Williams has proven himself a master of words, music and acting time and time again. With this album, he's expressing himself through what he refers to as "the most powerful artistic medium. If it has the power to make a nation nod their heads then it can help society change it's face."

egg_ said:
The only tune of this guy's I've heard (I think) is Black Stacy, which is amazing - how's the rest of his opus? Should I get his albums instead of getting my piano tuned?

YOU WILL DEFINITELY WANT TO RETUNE YOUR PAINO WHEN YOU'VE HEARD HIS STUFF... VERY SOLID ALBUMS, I WOULDN'T EVEN HAVE BLACK STACEY AS ONE OF THE STAND-OUTS ON THE NEW ALBUM. DEFINITELY RECOMMENDED

Deaglan said:
YOU WILL DEFINITELY WANT TO RETUNE YOUR PAINO WHEN YOU'VE HEARD HIS STUFF... VERY SOLID ALBUMS, I WOULDN'T EVEN HAVE BLACK STACEY AS ONE OF THE STAND-OUTS ON THE NEW ALBUM. DEFINITELY RECOMMENDED

agreed. list of demands is awesome.

egg_ said:
The only tune of this guy's I've heard (I think) is Black Stacy, which is amazing - how's the rest of his opus? Should I get his albums instead of getting my piano tuned?

yes, come to galway for a pint on tuesday

Galway was equally impressive. Saw him over the summer in the manchester apollo. that was class. seeing him last night putting out the same power for 100 people was special.

Nice 'un gug!

B

piratio said:
Galway was equally impressive. Saw him over the summer in the manchester apollo. that was class. seeing him last night putting out the same power for 100 people was special.

Nice 'un gug!

B

'twas rather amazing.

about 170 people, actually. :cool:

Alan Latchley said:
Did Marty Mulligan support him last night? He's another wired to the moon slam poet extraordinaire! Going tonight, can't wait.

yeah, we had three differant sets of slam poets, then some irish rappers and then the man himself.

great show.

so does crawdaddy usually keep some tickets on the door for shtuff like this? cos ticketmaster are clean out of tickets. If anyone wants to part with one, giz a shout on 087 754 1039

piratio said:
Are you sure... I mean, I think I know a little something about the roisin dubh. I only live across the road, don't you know.:D

B
whereabouts? don't worry, i don't intend on stalking you or anything. i used to live above the dodgy chipper there. don't know what it's called now but it was blue thunder when i was there. used to have fuckers signing that dj otzi hey baby song outside our window at least 3 times a week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back