San Fran / Amoeba (1 Viewer)

oh yeah, you're right.

well there'll be something on. You know americans and their sports. I know the american football it at the post-season stage. I reckon basketball is probably on, but theres no decent team around SF (and its a rubbish spectator sport anyway).

Well maybe forget sport and go hang out in North Beach drinking coffee and acting pretentious like Jack Kerouac and his cronies instead.

where would you even start. San Fran is cool all over. Even the kippy districts south of market. It all depends on how much time you have. If limited enough then stick to the obvious touristy stuff. Theres plenty of it and its all decent.

One thing about San Fran though is that its fairly spread out and isn't really what I'd class as a walking city as such. So pre-planning what you're going to do any given day is advisable.

If you do have a good bit of time then head out to Sausalito for a look. Or up to the wine valley. Or even up to Tahoe for the gambling. I wouldn't necessarily advice heading south from San Fran. Silicon valley lies between there and San Jose and, bar the occasional nice spot like West Palo Alto, its a kip. Santa Cruz is down that way, but I didn't especially like it. As is Monterrey, but again, I wouldn't be wasting my time.

Go to a baseball game. The new(ish) stadium is by the bay bridge and should have decent views over to Oakland. That should make up for baseball being a shite sport.

theres so much to do in that area.

Sweet, cheers, Only going for a week, so don't have loads of time to go off travelling.

ok, well then I'd say grab a cheapo guide book and go by that. Spend a day up around Fort Mason (old army barracks), Fisherman's Wharf, get the boat out to Alcatraz (might need to get your tickets in advance for this) - all thats in walking distance of each other (if you like looking at windy roads, then head up to Coit Tower and walk down Lombard St in the direction of Fort Mason - its the windiest road in America - woop-de-doo). For the other days then, pick a part of town and go exploring. North Beach is where the writers hung out. Haight for the hippies (still lots floating about there). Castro is a must-see, despite ones sexual orientation. Little Italy for that garlic place (if you like garlic). Tenderloin for the sheer kippiness of it (but the architecture is great). Union Square for the shopping.

etc, etc, etc.

Actually I've never been to San Fran as a tourist. I've been to all those places, but on different trips and purely by chance in some cases. Anyway, its a deadly city.

Go to a baseball game. The new(ish) stadium is by the bay bridge and should have decent views over to Oakland. That should make up for baseball being a shite sport.

Off season, and there's no view of Oakland either, unless a grey line on the distance is a view.

Don't forget a stroll around Chinatown and a healthy walk across the Golden Gate bridge.
SOMA is a must see if you like de art. The cinema in Castro is spectacular, and I hope the organ player still plays before disappearing into the ground before the movie. The Great American Music Hall should also be seen - just go whoever's playing. Have lunch in La Taqueria in the Mission, and spend a morning in Berkeley for sure.

ok, xsteox, stay away from the baseball.

whatever you do, stay away from the baseball!

I've never been to pac bell. I've been to 3com a few times. The view is great from out there, but there not likely to be anything on there neither.

+1 for chinatown. How could I forget. SF has the biggest Chinese population anywhere in the world outside of china. A good portion of people there don't even speak english

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back