Safari 4? (1 Viewer)

here, honest question because work just gave me a mac and i'm new to it, why do you use Safari over Firefox?

I used both of them. They both seemed grand on the mac. I just loaded ff because... ehh, dunno, because its on all my linux boxes and it seems grand.
Is there something Safari does better?

nah its preference thing really...FF has more plug ins and stuff. kinda messy if you ask me.

so, safari 4 verdict...its gimmick city so far. its not messy, but it feels a little slow at first. maybe its a cache thing?

your home page basically shows a grid of your 12 most frequented sites and you click on the box and it goes to that page.

its not a bad feature but in the same way that having cover flow in finder is cool, but ill never use it. i prefer lists.

here, honest question because work just gave me a mac and i'm new to it, why do you use Safari over Firefox?

I used both of them. They both seemed grand on the mac. I just loaded ff because... ehh, dunno, because its on all my linux boxes and it seems grand.

I use safari mostly. force of habit... I see no difference between them really. when I started on osx firefox didn't exist so it was a choice between that, camino and the mind bogglingly atrocious mac version of IE 5. I found it the most stable of the three and it seemed to render pages a bit faster. I think that was its selling point actually..

I love firefox too though. it's great to have a consistent browser on windows, osx, ubuntu etc.

I almost always use firefox on my iBook. At first it was because so many sites (well, banking 365 anyway) didn't support Safari and it was a pain having both browsers open, but now it's just habit I guess.

That's no help...

i use either FF or songbird on the mac, because i prefer to use free software, and secretly fear that i'll be writing some idiotic post here someday and it will tell me i need to spend 30 euro to post it. and my other paranoid fear is that steve jobs monitors every interaction with the web, and uses it as market research data. hold on while i go kill my neighbours

I use Safari because it it feels like I'm just using the mac and not a programme. It's so clean it's invisible.
I still have to use FF for some sites. Correct me if I'm wrong but whenever a site doesn't work in Safari I think it's breaking some internet rules. I then view it in FF and look at it with a scowl.

I'm finding Safari 4 incredibly, incredibly fast - fastest thing on the Mac - and I test regularly in several browsers.

I use FF mainly - because some web 2.0 sites (google ones mainly) don't play well with Safari - this may change in version 4.

The coverflow thing is a straight lift from Chrome, by the way...

yeah mine is flying along now. even gmail loads that .453465 of a second faster.

id imagine its designed to fly with intel macs and not the PPCs.

I use Safari on the Mac and HMD uses Firefox so never the twain shall meet when it comes to logging into Thumped.

I hate Safari. It doesn't remember any passwords and loads of sites still don't support it. It's a pain in the tits.

HMD is my kind of guy.

here, Diddles, would you not have two profiles on your mac, on for McDiddleton and one for Documentary.
Then you can both sample the joys of firefox.

And Documentary can put up his best of ladyboy wallpaper, and make all manner of customisations.

I'd say on mac os you should have an admin account, an then your misc user accounts as not to be running as root all the time.
no?

Jaysus. What the fuck do I know about macs.
fuck off flashback.

I've been using it and so far have had no problems.
I'm using a 5 and a half year old PPC powerbook G4 .
For the record I think I've only had to resort to another browser once or twice in that time .
I have never had any problem with Safari remembering passwords.
I find Safari 4 nice and fast , even on this old machine.
I like the Show Top Sites feature but it will be some time before i know whether this is something I'll use regularly or if it's gimmicky .Tabs on top and stop/reload button on the opposite side of the address bar take a bit of getting used to (These can be changed via terminal ,I believe) .
Search bar predictions are consistent with this feature in iTunes or on apple home page , handy I suppose .
Basically , I've had no problems so far - I gather there are some compatibility issues with Wordpress though .

Keep in mind that this is a Beta and submit bug reports if you encounter any issues . That's the point of a beta .

I keep looking where the tabs used to be and not where they are which is kind of irksome. reminds me of my parents' house; they switched the clock in the kitchen to another wall, so I kept looking in the wrong place, then, once I got used to it, they switched it back. MINDJOB.

anyway, it's fast, the cover flow is pretty cool (even if it is a google chrome thing); I can't really think of anything else to complain about.

except the session/cookies thing. that's just weird behaviour. seems to be still present in version 4 too.

it does get 100/100 in the acid3 browser test though, which is good.

incidentally the IE 8 beta gets 21%. nice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back