Rose of the troweled-on makeup (1 Viewer)

im hoping for liverpool, she's still in right? think my brothers smitten with her after saying she plays two flutes or something.

I didn't get to watch the second half. I was on my way home from work and I rang Mr Jane, who was watching the end of it and told me that some Tipp lass won, and that it was even more boring than the previous night.

It's weird that this year, they chose boring, harmless roses -- in contrast to the staggering arrogance of last year -- and that also, most of them were actually much closer generationally to Ireland than usual. You always get a smattering of people whose parents are Irish, but usually it's grandparents for most of them, if not even further back, and often, it's just the one side of the family.

As boring and sad as it was this year, it's a symbol of how a certain element of the diaspora sees itself in relation to Ireland. LAst year it was smug affluence and evil overladies, and this year, it's that the diaspora wants to come home or that 'Irishness' is being reined in, and really only extended to those born here to Irish parents.

You usually also get people who are of mixed national origin, which -- I dunno if there were any the second night -- you didn't get this year.

It gave me a funny bad feeling. Ireland for the Irish, yah. And the diaspora has had an identity recession or something.

It gave me a funny bad feeling. Ireland for the Irish, yah. And the diaspora has had an identity recession or something.

i wouldnt overanalyse it jane. its just a load of old bollocks. its a manufactured excuse for a kerry town to fiscally rape the rest of ireland and the world for a few days. no more no less.

She didnt seem too bothered about winning to me. I seen her on stage, she said a few dodgy things I thought. I dont know best of a bad lot I guess

Jane, I think you may be overstating the significance of the Rose of Tralee.

Dudes, just let me have this, okay? I need a feigned anthropological reason for watching it every single year.

I do notice the trends, buh.

Hayworth, you know you don't have to have a party piece. But if you must, and if it helps, don't do balloon animals -- someone tried it and it didn't really work on stage.

Last time I watched the Rose of Tralee was probably 25 years ago, when the whole point of it was for my family to all support different Roses and then be delighted/disappointed when one won

But here, answer me this - what are the judging criteria? Do the judges (there are judges, right? Or does D'Arcy pick the winner?) have a kind of scorecard with points for, I dunno, looks, brains, likeability, etc.? Why do you (yes, you) think one rose rather than another should win? Or is the arbitrariness of the whole thing kinda the point?

Last time I watched the Rose of Tralee was probably 25 years ago, when the whole point of it was for my family to all support different Roses and then be delighted/disappointed when one won

But here, answer me this - what are the judging criteria? Do the judges (there are judges, right? Or does D'Arcy pick the winner?) have a kind of scorecard with points for, I dunno, looks, brains, likeability, etc.? Why do you (yes, you) think one rose rather than another should win? Or is the arbitrariness of the whole thing kinda the point?

From what I could tell it was about being an occupational therapist or nurse, telling everyone where you've traveled and how you overcame a disability or traumatic event in life... while wearing the ugliest dress you could find.

From what I could tell it was about being an occupational therapist or nurse, telling everyone where you've traveled and how you overcame a disability or traumatic event in life... while wearing the ugliest dress you could find.

Yes, being an agreeable lass who is not too threatening is really important. You should be pretty without being stunning, bright without being too intelligent or using your brains for anything that is inappropriate for nice Irish girls, and you should be musical enough to entertain the guests at a soiree, but not so talented that you will be distracted from the dinner and child-rearing. You should be pleasant conversation, but not have too big a personality, nor should your aspirations span much beyond 'doing a course', getting married and having a holiday in Australia.

Last year it was a lawyer, but a non-threatening one.

The most important thing in the Rose of Tralee is to be a good girl, but up until this year, there have always been some pretty cool women in it who got the joke a bit and just thought it was funny to be in a pageant.

Never saw such lame lineup as this year.

Kildare rose apprently got a short hair cut while at college and took hormones to make her hair grow but it led to her growing a beard.

Shes a right fucking bitch to apprently. A proper fucking bitch.

dont mind the dress shes a fine thing its the ones in the nice dresses with a face like a smacked arse u wanna be commenting on

I applied to become a Rose but they didn't like what I wrote on my form.

"My life is shit, and shit is great for growing roses."

Who would be the Thumped Rose I wonder? Probaby one of the girls I'd say.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back