Roscommon DIY HC/Punk Festival (1 Viewer)

Cormy

Since 2000
Website
www.thumped.com
By now most aspects of the festival are pretty concrete. It's been a bit of a nightmare trying to decide on a running order and times for this, and we've checked it out as far as possible with all the bands for each day, so basically this is the best we can do. I don't want to hear any fuckin' whining about "why aren't blah blah higher up..." and all that. Also, we're going to have to be really strict about starting/finishing times for each band. It's shit having to follow the running order so tightly and make everyone stick to it, but it's the only way to keep it going properly. Okay, here's the full line-up:

Friday 10th August:

1 - Blood or Whiskey (Tradpunk, Kildare).
2 - Runnin' Riot (Oi!, Belfast).
3 - Skint (Street-Punk, Dublin).
4 - King Sativa (Roots Reggae, Dublin).
5 - Sir Killalot (Melodic Hardcore, Dublin).
6 - Circle Again (Old-School Hardcore, Belfast).
7 - Stress (Punk, Dublin).
8 - Cold War (Metalcore, Dublin).
9 - Some Days Better (Emo, Belfast).
10 - Kid Blunt (Skatepunk, Wicklow).
11 - Barberskum (Pop-Punk, Limerick).
12 - No Remorse (Emocore, Cork).
13 - Foot In Mouth (Ska-Punk, Wicklow).

Saturday 11th August:

1 - Paranoid Visions (Punk, Dublin).
2 - The Steam Pig (Street Punk, Dublin).
3 - Puget Sound (Reggae/Ska Punk, Dublin).
4 - The Dagda (Metalcore, Belfast).
5 - Nerdlinger (Melodic Hardcore, Roscommon).
6 - The Begrudgers (Ska, Dublin).
7 - The Dangerfields (Punk Rock, Belfast).
8 - Easpa Measa (Crust/Grind, Dublin).
9 - No Matrix (Pop-Punk, Athlone).
10 - PCF (Emo Punk, Cork).
11 - Pee45 (Pop-Punk, N. Ireland).
12 - Stringbean (Punk Rock, Dublin).

Capdown & Five Kuckle from the UK were supposed to headline the Saturday, but the buggers pulled out with a dodgy "broken down van" type excuse, but luckily Paranoid Visons were only delighted to be able to step in. They're totally confirmed, according to Deko, but don't blame me if anything (possibly everything) goes wrong...

Only people actually playing in bands will get in for free, otherwise it's £5 for either day & £8 for the weekend. Everybody pays, no fucking around. If you try and sneak in, we'll have no choice but to stomp you. And we're all really tough, we haul farm-type stuff around all day. So don't even try it. There's free camping space right beside the venue, but I'd advise getting there early to get a decent space. The first band will be on at around 3pm each day. We aim to be finished each night by about 12pm. There'll probably be a big game of footy on Saturday afternoon around 1pm or so too. Bring your own body armour.

People living in Knockroghery are pretty easy going about gigs but we don't wanna piss them off too much. Some of them have little kids, etc. so everyone please be on your best behaviour and get anyone travelling with you to do the same, the Gardái will be keen to have any excuse whatsoever to make some arrests, plus if we fuck things up we won't be able to put gigs on there anymore. By all means have a laugh, people will obviously be up late drinking and swearing profusely each night, but try and keep it down after 1am or so. By this I mean don't be shoutin' and roarin'. I wouldn't say this if it hadn't happened before, but don't steal stuff from the shops, don't smash stuff up and don't agitate the locals (some of whom are remarkably stupid). Please respect the venue, as it's a pretty rare kinda place and it'd be a pity to lose it because of people fucking shit up, plus Batty's a good friend of ours. Clean up all your rubbish if you're camping, put stuff in bins, and if you see people acting the cunt (smashing glasses/bottles, fighting, whatever) tell them to cop on and smack 'em upside the head if they persist. There's a chipper across the road from Batty's, plus a shop with hot food & cheap beer available beside it, aswell as a petrol station that sells cooked food down the road, so eats isn't a problem. Pints are cheap 'round these parts too.

Very Important Bit: The festival is All-Ages, but if you wanna drink, you'll need I.D.

As regards getting there, your best bet is to head for Roscommon or Athlone, whichever is nearer to your part of the country. Knockroghery is halfway between the two, Batty's (O'Briens Bar, as it's formally known...) is in the middle of the village. Knockroghery is 10 minutes from Roscommon and 20 minutes from Athlone, if there's a few of you a taxi will be pretty cheap. If you want numbers for taxis or mini-buses in Roscommon & Athlone, e-mail me. Here's some info on trains & buses:

Friday: Trains go from Heuston Station in Dublin to Athlone at 7.20am, 8.05am, 10.55am, 12.55pm, 2.30pm, 3.55pm, 4.55pm, 6pm and 7pm, each arriving just under two hours later. The trains at 8.05am, 12.55pm, 3.55pm, and 6pm go on as far as Roscommon (the next stop after Athlone, and takes about half an hour more). It's the Dublin-Westport line.
Buses go from Busáras in Dublin to Athlone every hour from 8am to 8pm, and take about two hours to get there. You can get a bus from Athlone to Roscommon which goes through Knockroghery (it's a request stop) at 10.25am, 11.20am, 4.20pm, and 8.20pm. Remember, those last four are the times the buses leave from ATHLONE, not Dublin. That's probably your best bet, since the bus stops right outside Battys.

Saturday: Trains go from Heuston Station in Dublin to Athlone at 7.20am, 8.05am, 10.55am, 12.55pm, 2.30pm, 4.55pm, 6pm and 7pm, each arriving just under 2 hours later. The trains at 8.05am, 12.55pm and 6pm go on as far as Roscomnon (the next stop after Athlone). It's the Dublin-Westport line.
Buses are the same as Friday.

If you're coming from somewhere other than Dublin, you can find out all the relevant travel info from http://www.irishrail.ie or www.buseireann.ie.

That's more or less everything. There isn't room for any more bands, so please don't make me have to tell you to piss off. There'll be a small website up soon at www.thumped.com/punkfest with updates, directions, etc. If you need any more information on anything, e-mail me or phone me at 0903 25103 or 087 4162148. Cc the e-mail to [email protected]. I'll be away for the next week pretending to be an international freedom fighter in Genoa, and I'll only be home on the 25th, 26th and 27th July, after which I won't be reachable at the home number, so use the mobile if it's after that, and if you've any e-mail questions send them before the 28th July. So, I'll see you all on the 10th!

-Cormy

jesus that post has been there a while without hector grey slaggin it mann maybe hes actually disappeared up his asshole, fuckin hell.

anyhoo the wee fest sounds excellant yayyyy

sorry lads, i was off me mash on PCP.

hope it all goes well for yis. no seriously. i never realised there was so many ways to describe the same music. plus, you make up a lot of rules, Gormy. are you a nark? stop trying to ruin the kids, nark.

how's that?

the roscommon gig was cool, nice small little room and cheap pints. the crowd was about 70 percent female which was a good change to dublin. speaking of dublin, the music centre are a pack of wankers [which most of you know already], but they reckon we owe them money for the gig, we got paid nothing at all. [yeh someone put up a review of the gig on the reviews page if you wanna have a look?] limerick too was good but galway was brilliant, with us playing at 1o'clock to a bunch of mad-dogs, dancing all over the gaff. and off course somedaysbetter were really amazing every night.
ohhh, to tour again....

"the crowd was about 70 percent female which was a good change to dublin."

on this note... or rather, opposing this note... is it just me, or have most recent dublin independent gigs had, well, more girls?* and if it is true, then why? or rather, why now in particular?

*[apart from kirsty and long-suffering dragged-along boyfriend...:)]

silo (25 Jul, 2001 04:54 p.m.):

*[apart from kirsty and long-suffering dragged-along boyfriend...:)]

Kirsty only has a short-suffering dragged- along boyfriend, who doesn't get dragged along much because he lives in a different country. And I'm very offended that I'm not included seeing as I go to all the same gigs as Kirsty (with my long-suffering, not-dragged-along-coz-he'd-be-there-anyway boyfriend).

kirstie (07 Aug, 2001 01:42 p.m.):
he made me go and see the Charlatans so really, it's me who's suffering

I managed to hear the one Charlatans song I wanted to hear ("Weirdo") while cueing for the loo. I love it when that happens.

they were actually quite good - even though Tim Burgess kept his Roger Moore stylee blue tinted specs on throughout

Memories

Y'know....it's been what 2 years since this festival happened and I'm still mentally scarred from those evil children running around breaking everything.....and swallowing something I shouldnt have when the ds pulled up....argh

Rebelmusic said:
Y'know....it's been what 2 years since this festival happened and I'm still mentally scarred from those evil children running around breaking everything.....and swallowing something I shouldnt have when the ds pulled up....argh

Yeah, i was at that too! I thought Batty had shut up shop and was moving away to his half brother in Malysia, or something to that effect. Nice to hear it's all up and running again. Those lil' punk children were shits though. Real shits. They kept throwing (punk) rocks at my head for a chase. But i couldn't chase them. I was concussed you see...

alright silo, look boss, i know i don't have as much hair as kirstie but i still qualify as a girl right?
here kirstie, story? kick his head in or wha?*

ahem. batty batty hey hey. hurray!

*unladylike behaviour/language = possible explanation for not being considered a girl.

Tom... I can know three girls.

Mammy
Susan (my sister)
and
...em...
Buffy (I will know her).

More G.I.C.'s though. The world is a barren place without them.

ermmm

you do know that you're replying to a post that's over 2 years old?

just checking

pete said:
ermmm

you do know that you're replying to a post that's over 2 years old?

just checking

Em... yeah right ....whatever.

I'm off to New York in a month's time.... all should be cool. Just need somewhere to crash.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back