robot show (1 Viewer)

japeo

Since 2000
Website
www.theredneckmanifesto.com
yo dudes,

i am probably leaving myself open for a bit of a slagging here but i was just wondering how many of you have some kind of belief system that exsists outside the world we live in?

like do you ever think about the reason we are here at all? or about what will happen when you die?

i've been thinking a lot about that kind of stuff these days and to be honest it is blowing my little old mind.

peace

x

rich

japeo said:
i've been thinking a lot about that kind of stuff these days and to be honest it is blowing my little old mind.

peace

x

rich
..happened me when i was about 12/13years old - i got over it after a few weeks though.....i used to try and imagine total blackness/silence for a prolonged periods of time - in order to get the "what does it feel like to be dead" feeling...(I reakon too much Joy Division/Velvets had something to do with all that carry on...)

but if you`ve ever fainted, you know the dreamy/lucid feeling you have just before you slip into unconsciousness?It ain`t that bad/frightening is it?So that cleared it all up for me - can`t be that bad!

Now i go on holiday more and see as many gigs as i can!
Watch some Cheech & Chong and listen to some of The Cramps, and these symthoms should disappear...
Easy!

Later,
The Shrink with the crooked hat.

I wrote a big long post on this but changed my mind and amn't going to put it up
Didn't the buddah have something to say about this sort of thing that was something like 'Never mind all that shit and get on with the important stuff - your life'

We are here to be the eyes, ears and hands of the creator of the universe, what ever that is.

actually, I stole that from Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

I find myself thinking about death more than I used to. Late at night.

Maybe I'm dying.

In other news, sometimes the world is a really wonderful place, whatever the fuck it is, and I feel like the luckiest mammal alive.

..so it goes

rumpus said:
I find myself thinking about death more than I used to. Late at night.
I try not to think about it much
But I'm always conscious of it, and more and more so as I age

The obvious thing that happens after you're dead is ... 'There was just a purple light and a hum. Nobody was there. Not even Billy Pilgrim was there'. I suspect there is no 'after' you're dead - your childhood, the big bang, the end of the universe, your death, all of these moments exist always, and time is an illusion
Would be deadly if that's not true. Can you tell I re-read Slaughterhouse 5 recently?

egg_ said:
I try not to think about it much
But I'm always conscious of it, and more and more so as I age

The obvious thing that happens after you're dead is ... 'There was just a purple light and a hum. Nobody was there. Not even Billy Pilgrim was there'. I suspect there is no 'after' you're dead - your childhood, the big bang, the end of the universe, your death, all of these moments exist always, and time is an illusion
Would be deadly if that's not true. Can you tell I re-read Slaughterhouse 5 recently?

...kurt is most deffo the main man egg.

..me I believe in a thing called love. Just listen to the rythm of my heart. gufaw.

egg_ said:
I wrote a big long post on this but changed my mind and amn't going to put it up
Am tempted to do same, but could end up going on forever...so, will give condensed unintelligible thought - my feeling is, if we understood (or at least, had a better understanding of) the phenomenon of awareness/consciousness/sentience/whatever you want to call it, and had a better theory thereof, our theory would indicate that the question of whether one survives death or not actually makes no sense (i.e. it embodies certain assumptions that a better theory of consciousness would reject).

Also, Old, to be fair, there are a couple of things one could be asking when one wonders "why are we here?" - they might be looking for some purpose in our existence, which, as you say, is a bit immodest (or at least to EXPECT such is immodest), but they might also be looking for an explanation of why there is a universe, which is a whole different kettle of fish altogether.

I think that the whole question of 'why is there a universe' is wrong-headed, and here's why:
The question 'Why does X happen/exist?' supposes that the system X can be broken down into smaller parts which are sufficient to completely describe the whole. 'Why does the earth orbit the sun?' can be answered with some pretty simple equations which not only describe the movement of the earth, but also explain the movements of lots of other planetary bodies.
However, NO law of physics holds for all space and all time. The laws of physics don't apply inside black holes or before the big bang. So we actually don't have ANY complete explanations for ANY of the phenomena we see in everyday life. So, as far as we know, the universe itself just can't be broken down into smaller parts which encapsulate the whole. The universe is a complete, indivisible system. Therefore there can be no explanations, no reasons, or, if you like, the answer and the question are the same - 'Why is the universe?'='The universe'

yum I'll have some of that chicken.....oh hang on, is this like "chicken tonight"?

Egg, I think you mean "for what reason"

"for what reason" is different from "why"

you can answer "for what reason does the sun rise"

but "why does the sun rise" is a much deeper question - and it's a fundamental part of human nature to ask that question

If you choose to plonk both your feet on the ground and accept a flower to be just a flower and a cigar to be just a cigar, you'll never go beyond "for what reason", and fair enough, that's your choice. But it IS a choice, you do have the power to at least seek the answer to the question "why?".

snakybus said:
yum I'll have some of that chicken.....oh hang on, is this like "chicken tonight"?

Egg, I think you mean "for what reason"

"for what reason" is different from "why"

you can answer "for what reason does the sun rise"

but "why does the sun rise" is a much deeper question - and it's a fundamental part of human nature to ask that question

If you choose to plonk both your feet on the ground and accept a flower to be just a flower and a cigar to be just a cigar, you'll never go beyond "for what reason", and fair enough, that's your choice. But it IS a choice, you do have the power to at least seek the answer to the question "why?".

..marry me.

i kind of came down on the side of atheism about three years ago. occasionally i get truly terrifying fuck-i'm-going-to-die-and-that's-it moments. i had one recently when i was brushing my teeth and i had to watch mindless telly for an hour just to get my nerves back on an even keel. anyone else get this? i think it's what my man j.p. sartre called "nausea"; a kind of realisation of the gratuitiousness of existence.

just re-read that and it sounds like wank but i'll post it anyway...

tom. said:
i kind of came down on the side of atheism about three years ago. occasionally i get truly terrifying fuck-i'm-going-to-die-and-that's-it moments. i had one recently when i was brushing my teeth and i had to watch mindless telly for an hour just to get my nerves back on an even keel. anyone else get this? i think it's what my man j.p. sartre called "nausea"; a kind of realisation of the gratuitiousness of existence.

just re-read that and it sounds like wank but i'll post it anyway...
yep - its scares the shit out of me until it makes me realise that i'd been putting too much stock in existence all along - the insignificance of my life in the overall scheme of things has a calming effect.

read 'siddhartha' by herman hesse. it doesn't give the answer but renders the question kind of unimportant... and the other side of it, how people judge things, and how society impacts your life, see 'the outsider' by camus. you can live your life quite happily as it turns out. :) another one of the morals thing is laila by prisig but that's more to do with quality etc. but definitely worth a read. zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance is good and may be worth reading before laila but i think you can probably do without it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back