"Road worn" guitars - for chumps only? (1 Viewer)

Oggy Pip

You know those Fender guitars you see in the shops that looked battered and distressed. They catch your eye because they look so knackered next to the shiny, glossy new models. And well... they look good.

I was in X-music this weekend and was playing one of the blonde "road worn" Teles. It felt fine, played well and it looked cool. It had patches of missing paint and the steel parts were dulled. It looked like one of those cool Teles that the likes of Keith Richards would have played in the early 70's. Battered from the road and decadently knackered looking. Full of character.

Its all a deceit though. Its a guitar designed for people like me who want a bit of that battered, decadent lifestyle but they don't want to go through the years of touring and heroin abuse to achieve it.

So here it is, a guitar thats survived all this, just waiting for you to take it home, stand in front of the mirror with a fag in your mouth and pretend you've lived that life.

Its not even that though! Its a brand new lifeless guitar just like the rest of them, only with an empty rebellious facade. Its not Keith Richards, its Chad Kruger.

So why do I still want one? Because I can't afford a genuine vintage model and maybe this is the next best thing. Maybe I can forget Im holding a 2009 model and trick myself into believing I have a relic with a mysterious past.

Im writing this to hopefully talk myself out of it though. Its a con, right?

Tele_50RoadWorn-Blonde-MZ8221188D-frontbody.jpg

i cant wait till they sell reissue peugeot 306's with a scrape below the rear passenger door, a key mark on the passenger side, a water leak in the ceiling, creaky drivers door, radio with personal preferences, immovable crisp bag in gear well, decorational rear wiper, weather faded paint and characteristic tear in drivers seat. the added value would be immeasurable.

yeah dude, its a bit of a con. it'd be fun to take it to a lutheir and ask him to repair it though.

I've never seen one that's convincing. Just buy a cheaper non damaged guitar and play the thing. It really won't take too long to wear in if you're careless.

Fucking steamer guitars.

If I'm buying a guitar I want it shiny as fuck.

I was at that yoke in the RDS, the music thing. There was a line of cheap ass guitars called Vintage with all the fake old.
Dude its the equivalent of buying a pair of "distressed" jeans.
Its pathetic.

i dont like when people keep their guitars wrapped up and precious and covered in felt and velour.
actually, i should elaborate. my solid bodies, especially the tele and les paul get thrown around as i see fit. my hollow bodies get the treatment as a knock on those bad boys can be fatal. and likewise with my vacarro as sure jayzis theres only a handful of them in the world.

mattie bolger was showing me the battle scars on his travis bean and i couldnt believe when he told me that there was one gig where he was actually leaning on the body with the head on the ground and lifted his feet off. fucking strong necks! spose its a big plus with the metal necks! he beat the shit out of that guitar.

gaztar.jpg

Have this guitar 21 years this september.Only guitar I own.I had others but I drank them away.You only need one anyway.

they look silly. fender make shitloads from selling their custom shop "reliced" guitars and this is just an attempt to cash in. they look exactly like what they are.

Chumps 100%

If you want a distressed guitar give your guitar to me and I'll distress the fuck out of it for ya.

Don't waste your money

here's a handy step by step guide to destroying your new stratocaster

http://www.srvguitar.com/DIY.html

and a telecaster

http://www.strummerguitar.com/photogallery.html

Cool, thanks for that.

does anyone already own one of these and feel a bit weird about this thread?

That thought crossed my mind. I was going to changed the title to make it less confrontational, but as it turns out its not the worst part of the thread.

I'd like to hear from someone who has one. Just don't all crucify him at once!

if you're even thinking about getting one, you lose in life

:D Don't be so melodramatic.

if you like relics, it means your band sounds like this

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back