"Road worn" guitars - for chumps only? (1 Viewer)

if you like relics, it means your band sounds like this

YouTube - Dog Eat Dog Isms

bloody hell

6189d1159476000-i-have-turd-smiley.gif

I'd have to say that I'm a fan, they look cool, what more do you want. As Unicron said newer finishes won't scuff up like older models because the lacquer is inpenitrable.

That said I won't buy one. They're about the same price as a vintage guitar.

Check this shit out

I'd have to say that I'm a fan, they look cool, what more do you want. As Unicron said newer finishes won't scuff up like older models because the lacquer is impenetrable.

but have you seen them? they have a few in music maker and they look like someone has gone at them with a sander. tacky as bejaysus.

i know what you mean with the newer polyurethane finishes though. the finish on my strat is mad thick. that said, i have 21 year old tele with a poly finish and it has some natural paint wear. you just have to rock hard.

Actually, I've only ever seen the custom shop ones like this joe stummer. They look pretty cool. Those "Road worn" ones do look a bit shit, and at €900 obviously a damaged strat with a few more scuffs that they trying to get rid of. Kinda like the gibson faded range which started out by taking the Gibson gothic range and sanding off the finish (because nobody wanted them).

I'd say even Joe Strummer's real one has a bit of DIY distressing. My 14 yr old mex strat has taken loads of beatings but could still pass for new with a bit of cleaning.

the thing that makes them cool though is that they tell a story of the experiences that guitarist has had with his instrument- buying a fake version is just ...well, shit really

Of course I still haven't accepted the notion of buying pre-distressed jeans - and never will by god!

id imagine theyre handy for when youre buying a guitar stateside and coming back through customs.

'sure jayzus no this is 20 years old. i just like to keep a tag on it.'

the only one i liked was rorys.
rory01.jpg

alas my strat will never look that cos he had some weird paint stripping acid in his sweat.

the only one i liked was rorys.
rory01.jpg

alas my strat will never look that cos he had some weird paint stripping acid in his sweat.

His guitar was stolen once, and spent some time in a ditch before he got it back. Which went a long way to creating the whole distressed look

What a pro!

I think Rory's takes the biscuit. A couple more years of touring and it would have been almost completely natural in finish. Incidently I think thats the Strat he's had since a teenager. Apparently the first Strat to be sold in Ireland. (Can't remember where I read that.)

He claimed that letting the harmonica harness flap down did most of the damage.

Hank Marvin got the first strat in the UK

Something tells me it probably looks exactly the same today as it did when it came out of its box

I sanded all the paint and the scratchguard off my diahorrea coloured Squire Tele. Looks way better now! Those faux distressed guitars are wank though. Total wank.

Best advice I can give is to be really really really sweaty.

I sanded a squire p-bass and then varnished it.. about 9 years ago.. I still play it, and it still sounds shite. I guess you wouldn't have to varnish it though, might look better

It's all a bit stone washed jeans, if you know what I mean.
Guitars have to earn their scars.

Re: the rory gallagher strat, I'd never buy a signature model that was so recognizable.

It's all a bit stone washed jeans, if you know what I mean.
Guitars have to earn their scars.

Re: the rory gallagher strat, I'd never buy a signature model that was so recognizable.
wait, they actually replicate his particular worn paint-job? fuck's sake. i thought guitarists were meant to be cool...

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back