Road records review Of Electric Penguins CD (1 Viewer)

psycho

Website
www.psychonavigation.com
ELECTRIC PENGUINS GOODBYE FROM THE ELECTRIC PENGUINS
electric penguins are an irish based mostly electronica based three piece featuring mark cummins, paul murphy and sean quinn, the album is released on the very fine psychonavigation label, the album is a truly excellent collection of mellow electronic pop sounds with lots of live guitars, pianos and lush farfisa organs, there are elements of the postal service, schneider tm, early 4ad and plenty more, the vocals are all heavily processed with vocoders and there are lots of background glitchy digital effects, people who like the sounds from morr music, city centre offices etc will simply love this record, this is quite simply one of those truly excellent records that deserves a place in every home, hats off to all involved, i just cant recommend this highly enough, september 2006
Psychonavigation cd
euro1.gif

Buy it now from http://www.roadrecs.com

I saw them in Crawdaddy awhile back and thought that they although a little unpolished they definitely had something - it turned out it was their first gig, so it was not surprising that they seemed unpolished! Nice vocals and I really like the guitar / electronic thing. They had a bit of a 80s electronic feel to they. I hope they do well.

Ye agree with you carddevil.Was indeed their first gig in Crawdaddy.There practising over the last while so expect an improvement for their next live shows!

Nice one for the compliment.I'll pass it on to the boys.

Keith

Got the CD - very nice. There are some great tracks like Lonnie and TransAtlantic. Parts of the album remind me of Yazoo (c. You and Me Both). Any plans to put tracks on their myspace page?

Electric Penguins will be performing a live studio session in Near fm on Tuesday 26th of September.The popular 'Club Ceoil' programme is hosted by Aoife Nic Canna and airs between 4.00pm-5.30pm. You can listen in live here : http://www.nearfm.ie/livestream.htm

Launch night for the cd will be happening at 4 Dame lane(Upstairs) on Thursday October 12th.Support from DJ.Keith Downey(Spin 1038,Psychonavigation)Doors 8pm - 10.30pm Admission €5

Thanks,Keith
http://www.myspace.com/electricpenguins

thanks psycho. they must have updated the site recently as there were no tracks there earlier in the week. someone told me that the lead singer mark cummins was in some boyband - any truth in that?

ELECTRIC PENGUINS Goodbye From The Electric Penguins

The Electric Penguins masterplan was to make a modern record using only 1970s instruments such as moogs, mellotrons, organs and guitars - with no samplers or 21st-century sequencers.If you’re interested in electronic music, you’ll adore their melodic and majestic opus, influenced by pioneers such as Pink Floyd, Kraftwerk, Sigur Ros and Flaming Lips.Highlights include the sweetly melancholic Lonnie and the heavenly Transatlantic, which has echoes of The Postal Service.

THE STAR -
★★★★

psycho - any chance you could send me that via pony express ;) or as mickey mack would say 'if you've got the technology use it now' ... i've got an old telegraph machine, morse code would be good!!! ;)

Check your telegraph machine Carddevil!;)

Electric Penguins: Goodbye From The Electric Penguins Pschonavigation Records. While this Irish electronic three piece's debut album is a welcome surprise it's at first tempting to think this is just technological hi-jinx. However, the album was recorded mostly live using 1970s equipment such as mellotrons and wears its influences (from Floyd, to Kraftwerk, Mercury Rev, Ulrich Schnauss and even Air's quieter moments) well. From the opening Sigur Ros motifs, there is a complexity to the songwriting through the use of processed vocals, swoosh soundscapes and menacing Moog runs that make this essential for fans of ambient/downbeat pop. Download: Supergirl", "Lonnie", "Transatlantic"

- Neil Dunphy - SUNDAY TRIBUNE ****

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back