Rethinking the War on Drugs: Public Forum (1 Viewer)

I have lost lots of people to drugs growing up in Ballymun and now living in the innver city!!

And i'm sure this could have been avoided if they had the proper facilities. Planting the seeds of harm reduction and removing prohibition is the way forward.

www.dancesafe.org are a site that promote harm reduction and often have people speaking.

ha ha, yeah work away, i stole it meself anyway from me mate Ger who always talks about goin "fancy crazy" :D

That would be coz of the fccc (fancy crazy chaos crew). the good ol days...sob...:D

But Buzzo, if you want it recorded get in touch with these fancy bastards - http://revoltvideo.blogspot.com/ they'd probably do it for you, and maybe put it on the web if ya asked nicely.

janer said:
s it not worth trying????
To quote the governments own statistic that over 75% of crime is drug related
and to make it less glamrous by legalising it would surely be the way forward, sure there might be an initial rush at 1st but I do seriously it would happen or last even if it did.

Yeah but the govt wont even try having safe shooting rooms coz they're afraid of losing the rich people vote. Even if it saved lives and would actually cut down crime, people are terrified of condoning things by even saying out loud that they exist. Nevermind trying to actually do something. Bah.

I don't think legalisation and decrimilalisation (or whtever) should happen without a coherent strategy for reducing serious drug-use in the long term.

the "reducing crime" is just a paper exercise. the impact in reality would be very different.

and a coherent strategy isn't more needle exchanges.

I don't think legalisation and decrimilalisation (or whtever) should happen without a coherent strategy for reducing serious drug-use in the long term.

the "reducing crime" is just a paper exercise. the impact in reality would be very different.

and a coherent strategy isn't more needle exchanges.

That's true but a serious amount of money would become available to develop a strategy. The drugs market is estimated to be worth €1bn every year . If 10% of this was taxed that would make €100m available every year.

Reducing crime isn't just a paper exercise either. It will stop otherwise law abiding people in being considered criminals. Also if drugs addicts are no longer considered criminals they might be more likely to seek help.

What Broken Arm said.
The way I see it is that a multi-departmental policy regarding marginalisation, access to education, healthcare, treatment, education and prevention, access for children and families to extra-curricular activities, penal and policing policies and basic personal and family support structures is first needed to address the demand for drugs that arises out of poverty and social exclusion. As long as there is a demand there will be a market. Such a strategy would require an immense amount of governmental cohesion, effort and energy.

Given that the problem with drugs and it's rippling effects are concentrated in particular communities in Dublin that are rarely home to wealthy powerful types, these problems do not tend to be high on a politicians list of priorities. Nor, as Mazzyianne pointed out, is the provision of healthcare facilities for drug users. This is also attributable to the fact that mainstream media (run by the business/middle classes), do not lend support or column inches to harm reduction policies, but instead tend to focus on the sexier political posturing/crime/death/AIDS etc. in relation to drug use, thus failing to garner public support for such measures.

NOW with a lack of facilities such as consumption rooms for drug users, they become highly visible in their law-breakery and so are easy targets for Gardai who, in fairness, are there to stop people breaking the law. The massive waiting lists for methadone and residential treatment places also confines many people who could be otherwise in recovery, not breaking the law, to that situation where they are purchasing and consuming illegal drugs in an open area. So then- drug users, the most visible of criminals, are the easiest targets for bums in prison beds (crime and imprisonment rates are a powerful political tool, fwends). And there we land at the ridiculous cost of keeping people in prison vs. the alternative.

My point? Integrated strategies will faciltate legalisation which would free up vital resources and time for dealing with more serious crime and other social issues. ramble ramble ramble. Go to the talk. Goverment pull yer socks up. free the weeeeeed.

My point? Integrated strategies will faciltate legalisation which would free up vital resources and time for dealing with more serious crime and other social issues. ramble ramble ramble. Go to the talk. Goverment pull yer socks up. free the weeeeeed.

this is the same situation for most policies - health, innovation, environment. silo thinking and bureaucracy.

I was/am getting sick of saying "joined-up thinking" in meetings and presentations.

buzz-words are buzzin

Totally disagree with Broken Arm.....so what will we do just continue along the tired safe stale spineless policies on drugsthat government after government have let continue.........

Ever hear the saying if it ain't broke don't fix it?
Well what about it's broke let's try another avenue!

And what leads you to this conclusion?

Unless your a drug baron yaself why fear change ;)

So much money is being made on the back of crime and junkies by just a select few...........to think that you would create many new junkies if drugs were legalised is the same old tiring excuses churned out by successive governments.

Maybe we should start off on the lesser evil of Hash first and see how that goes?

Totally disagree with Broken Arm.....so what will we do just continue along the tired safe stale spineless policies on drugsthat government after government have let continue.........

Ever hear the saying if it ain't broke don't fix it?
Well what about it's broke let's try another avenue!

fair enough. making everything legal is only a concept - explain in more detail what you mean and what you would do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back