Rent allowance (1 Viewer)

brianoak

Where do I go to get this or how do I get it?
Im a full time sttudent so am I entitled to it?
Anyone with any info?
thanks

s'nothin to do with the dole
it's the eastern healthboard
pretty sure there's numerous threads about it before
ring up citizens advice bureau or youth defence or something

brianoak said:
Anyone with any info?
thanks

I'm afraid I don't know if students are qualified for it, but here's what I had to do when I had it during the summer (get comfortable, because this is long and convoluted):

First off, go to your local health board office and say you're looking to get rent allowance. They'll ask you a few questions to see if you qualify, then give you a few forms to fill out. You need things like proof of income (either payslips or something saying you're getting the dole) and proof of address (a phone or ESB bill, say). You also need to have your landlord fill out part of the application.

But you also need proof that you're on the Corpo's list for housing assistance. Not sure why, but that's what they want. So you have to go to the Housing Assistance office in Corpo Headquarters (the easiest way there is through the doors just down from where Fishamble Street meets the Lord Edward, if that makes sense) and get on the list. Once again, there'll be forms to fill out, and one of the things required is that you get a stamp from Revenue saying you haven't claimed any tax exemption due to paying a mortgage.

So now you have to go up to the Revenue office just off of O'Connell Street, stand in queue and get the form stamped saying that, no, you're not paying a mortgage and aren't claiming a tax break. (This is actually pretty easy--took me only five minutes).

Once you have that, you go back to Housing Assistance and, if you've filled out everything properly, you get on the waiting list for public housing and they fill out their bit on the Rent Allowance Application form.

Then you take that back to your Health Board Office. But there's more: you have to arrange a time that the Health Officer can stop by your place and make sure that your application is truthful (e.g. you're not sharing a place and claiming you live alone). Only after s/he's done this will you be approved for rent allowance.

That was probably pretty confusing, but that's because it's a real hassle, all right. I know several people who didn't bother applying because there were so many hoops to jump through. But because I wasn't being paid for the months of July and August this past summer, I decided to go ahead with it, and ended up getting about 650 euro for each of the two months, which exactly covered my rent at the time.

A couple of things: if you're below a certain level (I think it's 120 euro/week for living alone and 93 euro/week for sharing), you'll get the rent allowance for an indefinite period. However, if you're above either of those two, you'll only get it for eight weeks--the idea is to force you to find a cheaper place to live, obviously.

Overall, it took me over two weeks to get all the forms filled out, stamped and submitted. But the Health Officer (Deirdre Nolan, in the Bridge Street Office for Dublin 2) was really cool and backdated it to the date at when I first came into her, so no money was really lost. And as I said, the money definitely helped.

Hope this was useful--good luck.

Paul

EDIT: All the above is if you live in Dublin. It might be different elsewhere.

I'm going to be be finding out on Thursday if a full-time student can get this. I'll post back with results!

I think who gets rent allowance is up to the discretion of the person who you bring your case to at your local health board. Your have to look pretty pathetic though and they insist on having a snoop around your gaff to see if they can find evidence of cohibitation-types (who of course, pay thier boyfriend's/girlfriend's rent)

Doesn't whether or not you're getting a grant affect you if you're u23? If so then I think it comes in under your grant entitlements.

If you're a mature student you get it as a matter of course as part of your BTEA (if you've qualified for that like).

frona said:
I'm going to be be finding out on Thursday if a full-time student can get this. I'll post back with results!

I think who gets rent allowance is up to the discretion of the person who you bring your case to at your local health board. Your have to look pretty pathetic though and they insist on having a snoop around your gaff to see if they can find evidence of cohibitation-types (who of course, pay thier boyfriend's/girlfriend's rent)

I dont get a grant,for some reason they wont judge on me own means.

Its always grand when they are looking for cash from you but roles reversed its a pain in the ass.

kirstie said:
Doesn't whether or not you're getting a grant affect you if you're u23? If so then I think it comes in under your grant entitlements.

If you're a mature student you get it as a matter of course as part of your BTEA (if you've qualified for that like).

brianoak said:
Anyone with any info?
thanks

AFAIK full time students do not qualify for rent allowance, unless you qualified for the back to education allowance.

then you won't get it Brian, I don't think so anyway.
brianoak said:
I dont get a grant,for some reason they wont judge on me own means.

Its always grand when they are looking for cash from you but roles reversed its a pain in the ass.

kirstie said:

I don't qualify for back to education and I don't know if I can get grant yet either so we'll see

Fuck sake.This sucks.

Plan B has the potential to land me in jail.

Guess I better start looking in the classifieds for rich lonely widows.I really wish I was joking.

Yeah but it wont be enough to not be a povo.Guess I will skip some classes and work a bit etc but I was planning on making some kind of effort this year.Ah i will sort something out.
MONDOBRUTALE said:
harsh man.
you not able to keep on some kind of work and college?

Scratch that.They live in Meath it would cost 38rueo a week at least just to go over the toll bridge.Add petrol 40euro.Thats more than my rent.
kirstie said:
what about plan z - go back and live with parents?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back