Redundancy question (1 Viewer)

whathappen?

Hello
I have not been made redundant but just have a question
1. How long do you have to be working to be entitled to redundacy?
Is it 2 years? If so is your firsy 9 months probabtion included in the 2 years?

2 How much is a redundancy? Is it 6 weeks for every year plus 4 weeks?

B-DEPAR_solo.gif

i havent a clue... but is it not kinda up to the employers and unions to fight it out? i got a redundancy deal a few years ago at the height of the boom and anyone who was with the company for 52 weeks or more was offered it. i forget how much i got now.

i havent a clue... but is it not kinda up to the employers and unions to fight it out? i got a redundancy deal a few years ago at the height of the boom and anyone who was with the company for 52 weeks or more was offered it. i forget how much i got now.

No you dont you fibber.

about five and a half grand i think, or there abouts, but i dont know how many weeks per years service etc that it was. it wouldnt have fed and sheltered my imaginary wife and child for long, still i was happy with it. i spent it on a computer, protools, beer and that kinda shit. its definitely my favorite way to leave a job, i havent managed it since.

statutory is about two weeks a year. nothing guaranteed above that.

the government guarentees that much. The company have to pay it. If they can't afford it the govt pay it. I think. I think its 2 weeks per year, plus one extra week. So, if you're working there 5 years you'll get 11 weeks.

Anything over and above that will have been negotiated with a representative body/union (theres a legal requirement to do so when > 10% are being let go).

As regards minimum time needed to be there to qualify, I'm not entirely sure. I'd imagine theres no minimum to qualify for the first year. And also, yes, probation is included as service.

2 How much is a redundancy? Is it 6 weeks for every year plus 4 weeks?

2 weeks per year AFIK is the statutory
Anything above that is per your bosses whim.

Rules

The statutory redundancy payment is a lump-sum payment based on the pay of the employee. All eligible employees are entitled to:

• Two weeks' pay (subject to a maximum of €600 per week or €31,200 per year) for every year of service, regardless of age, and
  • One further week's pay
Pay refers to your current normal weekly pay, before tax and PRSI deductions, that is your gross pay.
The statutory redundancy payment is tax-free.
Reckonable and non-reckonable service

All redundancies notified after 10 April 2005 take account of absences from work only over the last three years of service. Any absences outside of the three-year period ending on the date of termination of employment are disregarded.
When reckoning or calculating the actual length of your service for redundancy payment purposes, the following periods over the last three years of service only should be taken into account, (the absences listed here are called reckonable absences):

• The period you were actually in work
  • Any period of absence from work due to holidays
  • Any period of absence from work due to illness (see below for non-reckonable periods of illness)
  • Any period where you were absent from work by agreement with your employer (typically career break)
  • Any period of basic and additional maternity leave allowed under the legislation
  • Any period of basic adoptive/parental/carer's leave
  • Any period of lock-out from your employment
  • Any period where the continuity of your employment is preserved under the Unfair Dismissals Acts.
However, in making the calculation of the length of your service, the following periods over the last 3 years will not be taken into account as service, (these are called non-reckonable absences):

• Any period over 52 consecutive weeks where you were off work due to an injury at work
  • Any period over 26 consecutive weeks where you were off work due to illness
  • Any period on strike
  • Any period of lay off from work.
You can use this online redundancy calculator to help you to calculate your statutory redundancy entitlement. You should note that the online redundancy calculator does not purport to give a legal entitlement to any statutory redundancy amount.

Ah.. So this is why companies like Dell only ever give 6 month contracts.. Any longer and they run the risk of having people being around longer than the two year period.

Cunts of the highest order.

Ah.. So this is why companies like Dell only ever give 6 month contracts.. Any longer and they run the risk of having people being around longer than the two year period.

Cunts of the highest order.

yeah, they should just be really sound and give everyone permanent contracts and leave themselves open to huge redundancy costs. It's capitalism baby. We don't need Charlie McReevy, we need Stalin.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back