Red House Painters (1 Viewer)

Goodbye

Right, I recently bought a movie soundtrack ablum and have absolutly fallen in love with a song by the Red House Painters called Have You Forgotten, I know fuck all about this band apart from studenty types really obsessivly likeing them...
The vertion on the CD is aparently a re-working of an old song of theirs of the same name espically for the film (or so I'm told)...

Taking that as a starting point I went out and bought one of their ablums, the one with the brown fairground on the cover, and to be honest, I dont think much of it...

can anyone out there (studenty type or no) recommend anything else to buy by them that has the same imidiacy and beauty as Have You Forgotten??

Many churs
Ian

Have you forgotten is on Songs for a Blue Guitar

currently out of print, this is a CRIME!!

but they're you go, I think you'll love that album actually

12min+ guitar solos abound

maybe some kind soul could CD-R it for you,
and indeed me as I ain't got a copy no more.... :(

anyone?

I'm hot and cold about RHP, but their last album was great

aw jaysus

Strawberry Hill on thr Rollercoaster album (is it RHP I or II?) = shivers uup my spine.

I ADORE that LP. Amazing. Diddly band.

Heavy as a hippo after Xmas though.

Songs for a blue guitar is one of the greatest records ever, and it's such a shame that Mark Kozelek can be so fucking self absorbed and tremendously depressing at the best of times.

Katy Song on I or II is the saddest love song I've ever heard in my short life.

The AC/DC covers album the lead singer did is georgous.
I can't remember what it's called but I prefer it to anything the RHP released.

have you forgotten is on songs for a blue guitar, though it's an acoustic only version, unlike the version you heard on the movie soundtrack - if you find the rollercoaster album too much, I'd suggest Ocean Beach - that's my favourite and has much brighter acoustic/piano tracks as opposed to the darker early albums - I used to have songs for a blue gutar on tape but it's now damaged - get ocean beach though - it's smashing

the ac/dc covers album is called 'whats next to the moon'. it's really good.
my fav is 'old ramon'. glorious.

Ian buy 'old ramon' and 'songs for a blue guitar'. give it a few weeks and then you have to buy the rest.

check out/do a search for the song 'all mixed up'. (a cover of a song by 'the cars') - he gets such amazing guitar and drum sound on the albums... and picks the best covers to do.

seen them twice - he is a genuinely miserable bastard. the olympia gigs was gift.

I'd recommend that "Red House Painters" double LP - absolute classic, amazing haunting melodies, brilliant vocals,every track is superb...it's the one with the dilapdated Roller Coaster on the cover. Also, their 1st Ep, "Down Colourful Hill" is brilliant -"Japanese to English" gives me, totally, y'know, like, the chills.

Years ago, my boyfriend Carlos took a little walk with this girl Jenny and disappeared for like three weeks. When he came back from his visit to the hen house he got back in touch with me by calling my voicemail and singing me a Red House Painters song.

It had something to do with "catching butterflies" & "my boy..."

It was very sad and I took him back instantly. He was a vegan, revolutionary, bike messenger, drummer & guitarist who ran a pirate radio station in Chicago and lived at a place called the Hotel Kafka. Sounds like a screenplay, I know. Great legs and ass from all the biking. Anyway...

Fiachra or anyone, do you know what song this is and what album its from...I thought it might be the brown one that Ian mentioned when he started this post...but I'm not sure.

Thanks,

Thomas

Originally posted by Ian
I know fuck all about this band apart from studenty types really obsessivly likeing them...

Me being one of said studenty types....im seriosuly obsessed with RHP. They are a band that lends themselves to crazy fixations though really so I'm not shouldering all of the blame. Old ramon is definitely worth getting for lenghty guitar classics.

But I really like the self-titled rollercoaster one...the piano version of mistress, dragonflies *sigh*, grace cathedral park. it's their pop song album though (apart from personal fave Katy Song - how could anyone not stick that song on repeat for at least two hours?). Maybe try Down Colourful Hill for 24 and Medicine Bottle (their most well-known song).

But the bestest place is probably Red perspective - the 2CD best of, with all the classics on one CD and then unusual and live versions, outakes, demos rarities on the other, including the most beautiful acoustic Japanese to English ever heard.

I'm off to dig out my RHP CDs - its been so long since i listened.

and yes it *is* a crime that I can't get Songs for a blue guitar anywhere - its the only one im missing :( :(

Re: Re: Red House Painters

Originally posted by eclectichoney
But I really like the self-titled rollercoaster one...the piano version of mistress, dragonflies *sigh*, grace cathedral park. it's their pop song album

DRAGONFLIES!!! I bet that's it...Hmmm...now, who could send me the lyrics or a link to them?

Ill have to get Rollercoaster...I'm sure that's the one...about 9 years old now, right.

Thanks EclecticHoney, you're a honey!

Thomas
xo

tower over easons and i think hmv has had copies of songs for a blue guitar very very recently... unfortunately its on import so it was thirty quid but if you search the city you can probably pick it up...

ocean beach is probably my personal favoutrte just for Drop ; nine plus minutes of sheer beauty..

although yesterday i got my hands on have you forgotten and put it on repeat for the entire of yesterday and today.. its fucking beautiful... songs for ablue guitar is amazing.

wop-a-din-din from the old ramon record, despite being about a three-legged cat, is beautiful too...

retrospective is a good place to start.

.|..|

Originally posted by Pantone247
Have you forgotten is on Songs for a Blue Guitar

currently out of print, this is a CRIME!!

but they're you go, I think you'll love that album actually

12min+ guitar solos abound

maybe some kind soul could CD-R it for you,
and indeed me as I ain't got a copy no more.... :(

anyone?

I'm hot and cold about RHP, but their last album was great

I have the Songs For A Blue Guitar CD.
PM me if you want a CDR of it

It has turned up in HMV three times over the last 12 months despite being out of print. It carries an import sticker and retails for €28. Worth it though

I'm another RHP obsessive. They are undescribably brilliant.

That's Red House Painters 1 you bought. It will get better Ian,
It's an extremely beautiful album

The Retrospective is great starting point, covers the four 4AD albums and has the Kiss cover , "Shock Me" from the EP of the same name.

The subsequent two albums Songs For A Blue Guitar and Old Ramon are wonderful too.

Kozelek has three solo albums, Rock'n'Roll Singer , 7 songs only - and the 3 AC/DC covers here appear on the next LP What's Next To The Moon which has a further 7 AC/DC tunes. There was a live one White Christmas released last year which is worth buying too

URGENT RHP on eBay!!!!

Originally posted by stunning
Look what I found at eBay!!!

They have 12 items for RHP and highest price is $9.99. RUN!

http://search.ebay.com/search/searc...rty=MetaEndSort&ht=1&query=Red+House+Painters

Oh God! I'm replying to myself...is that against the rules?

Check it out...the prices are the current bids or opening bids and the times are how long you have left to get the goods. I said RUN bitch!

Red House Painters-Down Colorful Hill $4.90
8h 01m
Red House Painters: Old Ramon $3.00
1d 21h 31m
Red House Painters-Songs For A Blue Guitar CD $3.75
2d 07h 03m
Red House Painters CD Songs For A Blue Guitar $5.00
$7.00 -
4d 19h 29m
RED HOUSE PAINTERS 1" pin/magnet indie emo $1.00 -
5d 03h 11m
Red House Painters Songs for a Blue Guitar $5.00
5d 06h 53m
Red House Painters live 1996 2CD $9.50
5d 15h 20m
Red House Painters Old Ramon Sub Pop $6.00 -
5d 18h 10m
Red House Painters - Old Ramon CD $8.50 -
6d 03h 33m
Red House Painters - Retrospective 2 CD set $9.99 -
6d 03h 40m
RED HOUSE PAINTERS, Down Colorful Hill CD $7.00 -
6d 21h 27m
RED HOUSE PAINTERS 4AD PROMO POSTER !baggyyyy

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back