Recording for vinyl.... (2 Viewers)

i just play and let the boffins take care of everything else.

I have a different question, but still to do with vinyl.
How much would it cost more less for the finished product (ie. printing of the vinyl, sleeve and eventually booklet or sheet)?

Could cost anything.
You talking 7inch, 10inch 12 inch, normal/heavy weight?

You talking doing the sleeves yourself in b&w or colour printed and glued by the plant?
inserts done photo copied by yourself or nice fancy colour card cut to a special size?

7inch could cost you up to 1k for 500 all in.
lp could cost you 2k or more.
Both can be done cheaper - frankly when it comes to 7inchs, which sell for 3euro each usually - it prob cost 2.50euro each to make them after all costs are taken into account.Best to cut out the sleeve crap, do your own little insert, buy your own little baggys.

Was thinking more on the 7" side getting some artsy fartsy mate to do the artowrk then get it glued by the plant and if possible do the insert myself photocopying it.

But seems that it will still be expensive as fuck. Think i might have to put my projects on hold untill i finish uni. Dammit!

Was thinking more on the 7" side getting some artsy fartsy mate to do the artowrk then get it glued by the plant and if possible do the insert myself photocopying it.

But seems that it will still be expensive as fuck. Think i might have to put my projects on hold untill i finish uni. Dammit!

Hold it - don't give up now - there's always a way around it! (mine tends to be bit the bullet and do some overtime) but ameise does short runs of vinyl 7inch, and they are lovely people.
www.amei.se
http://sukale.com/~mart/ameise/ameise_pricelist_0707.pdf

Just make sure its worth releasing on vinyl!!

Uhm, have to try and work out it nicely because giving it a quick look i can't understand half of it.
Anyways, i would only like to do certain stuff on vinyl. Kind of one-off things, more on maybe the mini-compilation side (that is the original idea). Because for just yer regular CD i'd just go the traditional way of coproducing a band that needs help with other labels so i still help out and don't need excessive amounts of money.

Giving that i will start uni in September and have no job, the plan was to invest money, within my economic possibilities,in getting my label started and then build on the profits on the stuff sold to re-invest in other projects. But think i'll have to drop the 7" idea and stick to CDs.

mastering for vinyls should be different than for cd.
i'm not gonna tell you exact details because you gonna blame me if something goes wrong:)

i remember when foot in mouth were doing their 7 inch there was some mastering thing they had to do differently, than you would if you were to master a cd or else the needle would have just skated across the vinyl. i think it was some frequency thing. although i cant remember any details cuz it was years ago!

don't know much about the differences, but one thing that does matter is phase.
for cd it doesn't matter if your recording is out of phase, but for vinyl it can be a nightmare and lead to skipping records. so make sure and check the phase!

Somebody told me that the levels have to be adjusted when recording for vinyl because the quality is different for CDs. What's the main difference?

I'm sure plenty of you have experience.Any tips?:confused:

Usually either the sound engineer or the pressing plant would take care of this - i don't know alot about it - i know some bands record a bit too low for my liking but then again thats where the volume button comes in handy on the stereo - TURN IT UP i say!

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back