Real Life Book Club (2 Viewers)

I'm getting excited about this. Since moving gaff and losing my sky+ I've read more books than in the last year put together. Anyway, I still haven't read this book, so must pick it up. I think I'll have to make cocktails for the return of the bookclub I think. I shall spend the next month and a half perfecting the recipe.

So I just started reading Augie this weekend. It's taking me a while to get into it. Maybe because I dropped out of it to read Ian McEwan's On Chesil Beach. Tubbers has been going on a lot about it. Anyone read it?

i'll be around for book clubs from september onwards, fank gawd. i need to start reading again - i feel my brain slowing down already.

Friday 24th is good for me. In the diary now.

Sad news about Sparky I'm afraid. Looks like she was knocked down. Life's not the same without her :(.

24th it is then, I'll send round a pm to everyone.

Really sorry to hear about Sparky, that's terrible...

hmmm.. now im merely making polite enquires out of interest. but do you still have this book club going on... also do you have to buy the book each time or do you lend copies of each other. ( i've lent out one or two books to friends always found it difficult to get back) so just thought i'd ask:)

i'm only asking about this bookclub as i dont think i would want to meet any thumped member in any other setting, whereas a bookclub i could have a genuine intrest in and if i got bored or not intrested in talking to the person i could just talk about the book. which would suit me as sometimes(most times) when i dont know someone i like to have a conversation about a particular thing. otherwise i just stay quiet untill the conversation has rolled around to what we were talking about and if it doesnt neither do i. anywho here i am blabbering away.....

hmmm.. now im merely making polite enquires out of interest. but do you still have this book club going on... also do you have to buy the book each time or do you lend copies of each other. ( i've lent out one or two books to friends always found it difficult to get back) so just thought i'd ask:)

i'm only asking about this bookclub as i dont think i would want to meet any thumped member in any other setting, whereas a bookclub i could have a genuine intrest in and if i got bored or not intrested in talking to the person i could just talk about the book. which would suit me as sometimes(most times) when i dont know someone i like to have a conversation about a particular thing. otherwise i just stay quiet untill the conversation has rolled around to what we were talking about and if it doesnt neither do i. anywho here i am blabbering away.....

Hi eoghan,

Sorry for the very slow reply :)

The book club is kind of in hibernation, there was meant to be one last August but it didn't happen....

We usually each bought a copy of the book.

If people were interested we could try to resurrect it -
Bellatrix, Brian Conniffe, Psychotic no 2 what do you think ??

I admit I never got past page 50 of The Adventures of Augie March and I don't think any amount of threats/bribes could make me go back to it...
( sorry Aoife ;))

I admit I never got past page 50 of The Adventures of Augie March and I don't think any amount of threats/bribes could make me go back to it...
( sorry Aoife ;))

I actually read that and had intented to go. Bit of a bilious read, you would get stomach ulcers from some of his over-loaded sentences, but ultimately a bit of a hoot. The last fifty pages just soared.I've since read Herzog which I loved and it was much easier to accept the prose in tandem with the central character, whereas it was harder to see Augie as so intensely articulate.

i never get any messages from anybody:) but I love it..what groups are you part of?I'm in the Rory Gilmore one which is rocking my world..

shaney said:
im not in any groups, i will look and see if theres a brian aldiss group (there isnt one)
Read some Brian Aldiss years ago and really disliked it. I can't remember what the series was but it had to do with a species living on a planet with a really long trip around the sun so winter and summer were both thousands of years long. Is that typical of his work or is there something better I could have read?

Read some Brian Aldiss years ago and really disliked it. I can't remember what the series was but it had to do with a species living on a planet with a really long trip around the sun so winter and summer were both thousands of years long. Is that typical of his work or is there something better I could have read?

that would be the helliconia trilogy. very untypical of his work and my least favorite by far (although the second one wasnt bad really, it at least had a decent enough plot...). those were very run-of-the-mill sci-fi fantasy with none of the style and wit of his good books. it was almost as if he wanted to write a bog standard sci-fi book. his good ones are funny and witty and some times the plots seem unimportant. theyre not all sci-fi either. good ones include The Malacia Tapestry, Frankenstein Unbound, The Horatio Stubbs Saga (very saucy), Forgotten Life, Remembrance Day, Somewhere East Of Life, loads of them are good. Im obsessed with him at the moment

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back