Re: Popicalia #3 - This Thursday! (1 Viewer)

tumblr_lan4r4ke5d1qa64cm.jpg

The ever-popular ¡Popicália! is back for a record-breaking third show in Dublin’s Shebeen Chic. On Thursday, 4th November, we at Popical Island present four acts full of melodious derring-do for you to discuss in your spare time:

Land Lovers

Walpurgis Family

Jonny Fun & The …Hesitations

Tom Wolf

The last installment of ¡Popicália! whipped punters into a frenzy of dancing and, indeed, crowd-surfing as Grand Pocket Orchestra, Squarehead and Hipster Youth slayed the assemblage utterly. So you’ll understand our excitement and optimism as we bring you more of our favourite acts for the third month running.

Jonny Fun and the… Hesitations are purveyors of lovelorn indie whimsy, complete with hints of Motown, a strong current of classic English pop balladry and a nod to the complexities of spelling as Gaeilge. Our favourite Wearsider says “Hold me close” to his fellow-travelling… Hestitations, “don’t let me go, woah-oh”. Gently seize the album, Carpe P.M. on the night: it’s quite lovely.

I know what you think about the Belgians: will they ever form a coherent government? We honestly don’t know, the ongoing stand-off is frankly infuriating. Here to distract you from all that with his luminous songwriting is Jeroen Saegemann, leader of Walpurgis Family. We decided to put their song, The Island of Benjamin, in the anchor position on Popical Island #1 for a good reason: it’s gorgeous and wistful and makes you want to sing along and kind of sounds like the end of the summer. Thing is: it’s just one of many gems on Midsummer Party, their recent album.

Rounding off the evening will be Land Lovers, those masters of melodic riffs and watertight couplets. Championing desperate romantics the world over, lost indie souls and fellas called Paddy and Paul, Padraig Cooney and his henchmen remind us of XTC (not the drug), of Elvis (not Presley), and of Television (not the appliance). Having said that, this is pure Irish pop. No scratch that: it’s pure north Dublin pop. In the very best way. With an album, “Romance, Romance!” and an EP “Immovable Feet” already under their belts, Land Lovers are recording their third right now. We’ve heard bits and well, it blew our little heads off.

Tom Wolf is another Belgian. When he’s not running a B&B in his home town of Ghent, Tom is making the finest in lush, dark indie. Tom will get things underway on the night with a solo acoustic performance

Things will kick off at 8:30 PM, in the basement venue. 5 euro should see you inside safely. As ever, Popical Island DJs will keep the party lit ‘til hell freezes over (12:30AM).
(This month’s poster by Laura DeBurca: http://www.flickr.com/photos/lauradeb/)

Hi,

Do you think there is some way we could make this a preemptive pointless nostalgia thread for 2015?

I'll start.

Man, I wish I'd bothered me arse going to that gig. It was just before Land Lovers sold out and jumped on the whole grunge-step bandwagon.

Anyone got any of Foals' music they could send me? My BrainPod address is @dasnugs81. Thanks.

Thanks for that. Listening to Foals now. It's just a load of sub Cast Of Cheers rubbish isn't it?

Sorry, brained you over Jonsi by mistake, nuggso.

Land Lovers were amazing after we sold out. The Tesco campaign was the clincher for me, it was focused, a really smart, identity-driven raid on the home-maker's purse strings. We never hit those heights again, not with the Reebok tie-in, nor with the AIB re-casting project.

I'd actually quite like one too, is there any chance you're selling copies on the internets - I'm in Brighton unfortunately, but I can paypal?

Rounding off the evening will be Land Lovers, those masters of melodic riffs and watertight couplets. Championing desperate romantics the world over, lost indie souls and fellas called Paddy and Paul, Padraig Cooney and his henchmen remind us of XTC (not the drug), of Elvis (not Presley), and of Television (not the appliance). Having said that, this is pure Irish pop. No scratch that: it’s pure north Dublin pop. In the very best way. With an album, “Romance, Romance!” and an EP “Immovable Feet” already under their belts, Land Lovers are recording their third right now. We’ve heard bits and well, it blew our little heads off.

@Moods for Mallards

Would you consider your music very north dublin?

also they called your very short album an EP so I hope you gave out to them loads

that's what happens when a culchie writes a bio for a dublin band

he didn't give out, he was too busy eating his auld mister brennan's bread and thinkin' about Phil Lynnot

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back