Rate all of their albums (2 Viewers)

I used to think I was a really big fan of Sonic Youth but I just realised that there's a good few albums I've never bothered with

Bad Moon Rising - 6
Evol - 7
Sister - 8
Daydream Nation - 9
Goo - 9
Dirty - 9
Experimental Jet Set Trash and No Star - 6
Washing Machine - 7
NYC Ghosts and Flowers - 5
A Thousand Leaves - 8 (mainly because of Hoarfrost, favourite tune of theirs)
SYR 1 - 7
Murray Street - 8
Sonic Nurse - 4 Thought it was so piss weak I never bothered with Rather Ripped
The Eternal - 7

I always found that whatever album they had out sounded better after you saw it played live.

Also, this thread is making me realise that there isn't too many recent bands that I listen to whole albums of anymore.
Evol and The Eternal 7 + Dirty 9 = never trust anything sleepy says ever again. Surprised that most people here don't have much time for Evol. For me it's their best album.

Biggest shame of Thin Lizzy's career is that Moore didn't do more with them.

The new "Thin Lizzy" record is not a Thin Lizzy record,they changed the band name.(thankfully)

Cameo

Cardiac Arrest - 7
We All Know Who We Are - 6
Ugly Ego - 5
Secret Omen - 8
Cameosis - 6
Feel Me - 7
Knights of the Sound Table - 8
Alligator Woman - 9
Style - 6
She's Strange - 8
Single Life - 7
Word Up! - 7

Their early straight funk and soul stuff is solid but a bit anonymous, it wasn't until they started taking on new wave influences that they really started to stand out and find their sound. Contemporary wisdom seems to have Cameosis as some kind of definitive album but it's a bit inconsistent and only really a beginning.

I've never listened past Word Up but it's a real interesting to hear them tighten their sound (and lose more and more members) as they build towards it.

The The
Soul Mining - 9
Infected - 7
Mind Bomb - 6
Dusk - 6

Gave up after Dusk, just got too muso-ey for me. Didn't include the first ones as they weren't originally credited to The The

Evol and The Eternal 7 + Dirty 9 = never trust anything sleepy says ever again. Surprised that most people here don't have much time for Evol. For me it's their best album.

Evol's got some great stuff like Tom Violence, Shadow of a Doubt and Expressway but I thought there's a lot of stuff on there that just doesn't do it for me like Green Light and In the Kingdom. It was never an album I could sit all the way through.

I think the Eternal was a case of an album that sounded better after seeing it performed. Same with Thousand Leaves.

I'm always gonna have a soft spot for Dirty because that was the album that got me into them.

Ten!

I had a blast of Station To Station there while having my lunch and may have to revise my score upwards a bit. Word On A Wing is such a great song and I really like Stay. Still don't care for TVC15 though ...

Pavement

Westing (By Musket and Sextant) - 7
Slanted and Enchanted - 9
Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain - 9
Wowee Zowee - 8
Brighten the Corners - 7
Terror Twilight - 5

Never heard Westing but yeah, I'd agree with the rest. I'd actually give Brighten the Corners 8.
Terror Twilight reminds me of doing the Leaving which puts me off it even more

Captain Beefheart
---------------------
Safe As Milk 9
Strictly Personal 6
Trout Mask Replica 9
Lick My Decals Off Baby 9
Mirror Man 7
The Spotlight Kid 8
Clear Spot 9
Unconditionally Guaranteed 3
Blue Jeans & Moonbeams 2
Shiny Beast (Bat Chain Puller) 8
Doc at the Radar Station 9
Ice Cream for Crow 9

The B-52s
The B-52s - 8
Wild Planet - 9
Mesopotamia - 9
Whammy! - 8
Bouncing Off The Satellites - 8
Cosmic Thing - 8
Good Stuff - 6
Funplex - 6

ooh interesting

for me:

The B-52s - 8
Wild Planet - 9
Mesopotamia - 7
Whammy! - 8
Bouncing Off The Satellites - 6
Cosmic Thing - 9
Good Stuff - 3
Funplex - 4

while we're at it actually:

Talking Heads:

'77 - 8
More Songs About Building and Food - 8
Fear of Music - 9
Remain in Light - 10
Speaking in Tongues - 9
Little Creatures - 7
True Stories - 6
Naked - 7

Evol's got some great stuff like Tom Violence, Shadow of a Doubt and Expressway but I thought there's a lot of stuff on there that just doesn't do it for me like Green Light and In the Kingdom. It was never an album I could sit all the way through.

I think the Eternal was a case of an album that sounded better after seeing it performed. Same with Thousand Leaves.

I'm always gonna have a soft spot for Dirty because that was the album that got me into them.

And 'Star Power' and 'Marilyn Moore'. Yeah I got the Eternal more after hearing it live as well but it's still several leagues below what, either way you look at it, is them entering their most fertile period on Evol. For me, it's actually their best. More cohesive than Sister, murkier and darker than Daydream Nation. Also for a band not renowned for their lyrics it's probably their strongest from that aspect as well. Even if Lee is trying to be Jim Morrison on 'In the Kingdom'.

Weezer

Blue Album 10
Pinkerton 10
Green Album 6
Maladroit 7
Make Believe 6
Red Album 9
Raditude 6
Hurley 6
Death To False Metal 5

I mostly agreed with you but Red is far better than it gets credit for.
Also I prefer demos for Maladroit than the album. The curse of hearing demos first.

They Might Be Giants

ST - 8
Lincoln - 10
Flood - 8
Apollo 18 - 7
John Henry - 8
Factory Showroom - 7
Severe Tire Damage - 7
Long Tall Weekend - 7
Mink Car - 9
No! - 8
The Spine - 6
Here Come The ABCs - 8
Venue Songs - 6
The Else - 9
Cast Your Pod To The Wind - 9
Here Come The 123s - 8
Here Comes Science - 9
Join Us - 6
Album Raises New And Troubling Questions - 8
Nanobots - 7

Very consistent, a low of 6 a high of 10.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back