Rate all of their albums (2 Viewers)

Soundgarden:

Ultramega ok - 8
Louder than love - 9
badmotorfinger - 10
superunknown - 10
down on the upside - 10
king animal - 7

I'm not very objective but can't really find fault with those three though.

David Bowie:

David Bowie - 3 (ok, I don't think I've ever actually listened to this so I'm making it up)
The Man Who Sold The World - 5
Hunky Dory - 6
Ziggy Stardust - 9
Aladdin Sane - 6
Diamond Dogs - 5
Young Americans - 6
Station To Station - 6
Low - 9
Heroes - 7
Lodger - 5
Scary Monsters - 8
Let's Dance - 5
Tonight - 1 (leaving out everything post-1984 to annoy Anthony)

It's a bit surprising when you do this when you realise that in spite of all the amazing songs he has, there are only (for me) two absolutely killer albums .. which are Ziggy and Low. All the others have serious flaws in one way or another. It should also be noted that all of this is relative. A Bowie 5 is probably better than anyone else's 9.

Ah Bowie - ok.

David Bowie
David Bowie - 6
Space Oddity - 8
The Man Who Sold The World - 8
Hunky Dory - 9
The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and The Spiders From Mars - 9
Aladdin Sane - 9
Pin Ups - 7
Diamond Dogs - 8
Young Americans - 7
Station To Station - 10
Low - 10
Heroes - 8
Lodger - 7
Scary Monsters (And Super Creeps) - 7
Let's Dance - 6
Tonight - 5
Never Let Me Down - 3
Black Tie White Noise - 5
The Buddha Of Suburbia - 4
Outside - 5
Earthling - 4
Hours... - 5
Heathen - 8
Reality - 7
The Next Day - 7

The first album has a cool swinging vibe. Ziggy Stardust close to a 10. Tonight isn't as bad as they say. Never Let Me Down has a couple of decent tracks [Day In Day Out, Time Will Crawl]. The 1990s were bad. Last three albums - decent.

Oh yeah I forgot about Space Oddity .... but deliberately left out Pinups.

There's no way I would give Station To Station a 10! Title track is flat-out brilliant ..... one of his best. But I cannot stand TVC15 and Wild Is The Wind is just kind of silly ....

Tonight represented that moment of horrible realisation, that I had for the first time ever when it came out, that people you think are amazing can also do things that are not so amazing. It was a hard lesson to learn and one I have never quite forgiven him for. So, I am probably being harder on it than I should be ....

"No Elvis, Beatles or the Rolling Stones in 1977"
(The Clash "1977")

I've rated all three.

It seems that the band who wanted to wipe out the past in 1977 have never learned from their mistakes.
e.g. Mick Jones and his vanity project [forthcoming big Clash box set]. Selective history with a big sulk.

"No Elvis, Beatles or the Rolling Stones in 1977"
(The Clash "1977")

I've rated all three.

It seems that the band who wanted to wipe out the past in 1977 have never learned from their mistakes.
e.g. Mick Jones and his vanity project [forthcoming big Clash box set]. Selective history with a big sulk.

I dunno, Cut the Crap has a few good songs but it bears no relation to their previous work. Even Mr. Strummer left it out when he compiled The Story of the Clash collection.

Thin Lizzy (I never listened to the last few...)

Thin Lizzy - 7
Shades of a Blue Orphanage - 7
Vagabonds of the Western World - 7
Nightlife - 6
Fighting - 8
Jailbreak - 7
Johnny the Fox - 7
Bad Reputation - 8
Black Rose: A Rock Legend - 2
Chinatown
Renegade
Thunder and Lightning

It's a bit surprising when you do this when you realise that in spite of all the amazing songs he has, there are only (for me) two absolutely killer albums .. which are Ziggy and Low. All the others have serious flaws in one way or another. It should also be noted that all of this is relative. A Bowie 5 is probably better than anyone else's 9.

Maybe though when your amazing songs are that amazing, they cast long shadows over the others. Like heroes, without heroes would still be way better than most acts can manage, just the title track is such a powerful thing.

Think you are being a bit harsh on Black Rose. It has some stinkers on it (S&M) but some amazing ones too (Got To Give It Up). And I would definitely put Jailbreak above Fighting ....

I used to think I was a really big fan of Sonic Youth but I just realised that there's a good few albums I've never bothered with

Bad Moon Rising - 6
Evol - 7
Sister - 8
Daydream Nation - 9
Goo - 9
Dirty - 9
Experimental Jet Set Trash and No Star - 6
Washing Machine - 7
NYC Ghosts and Flowers - 5
A Thousand Leaves - 8 (mainly because of Hoarfrost, favourite tune of theirs)
SYR 1 - 7
Murray Street - 8
Sonic Nurse - 4 Thought it was so piss weak I never bothered with Rather Ripped
The Eternal - 7

I always found that whatever album they had out sounded better after you saw it played live.

Also, this thread is making me realise that there isn't too many recent bands that I listen to whole albums of anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back