Blood - 9

And...

The Box Set: 10

d964ac18.jpg

This Mortal Coil
It'll End In Tears - 9
Filigree and Shadow - 9
Blood - 9

Loved the whole concept behind TMC, and the way they pulled it off so well.
I never gave the Hope Blister a chance, as I felt it couldn't repeat the highs of TMC. Worth investigating?

http://www.4ad.com/artists/thehopeblister

The principle was the same as This Mortal Coil, banding together cover versions, handpicked for their melodic ingenuity, and tapping Ivo's devout love of melancholia. However, this time he assembled a core group of musicians, as opposed to a revolving line-up. The Hope Blister comprised singer Louise Rutkowski (who contributed to This Mortal Coil), bassist Lawrence O'Keefe (ex-Levitation/Dark Star) and string arranger Audrey Riley with Ivo handling production/spiritual guidance and John Fryer on mixing duties. Drummer/saxophonist Richard Thomas appeared on two tracks.
The Hope Blister's 1998 debut, ...Smiles OK, comprised eight songs penned by a variety of artists, including Brian Eno (‘Spider And I’), John Cale (‘Hanky Panky Nohow’), David Sylvian (‘Let The Happiness In’), Heidi Berry (‘Only Human’) and Mojave 3's Neil Halstead (‘Dagger’). The mail-order album Underarms followed a year later, featuring largely instrumental outtakes from the same sessions.

Midlake

2004: Bamnan and Silvercork: 7 - a very debut album. Hadn't arrived at their own sound yet.
2006: The Trials of Van Occupanther: 9 - almost perfect. Melodies, sadness, interesting lyrics
2010: The Courage of Others: 5.5 - Songs too long and dull. Absence of melodies!

Midlake

2004: Bamnan and Silvercork: 7 - a very debut album. Hadn't arrived at their own sound yet.
2006: The Trials of Van Occupanther: 9 - almost perfect. Melodies, sadness, interesting lyrics
2010: The Courage of Others: 5.5 - Songs too long and dull. Absence of melodies!

I think that for The Courage of Others all the songs stand up fairly well in isolation. Put them together on an album and they don't work at all. Probably because too many of them are too samey.

I love Banman. I'd give it an 8. I agree though, its like some total other band.

Loved the whole concept behind TMC, and the way they pulled it off so well.
I never gave the Hope Blister a chance, as I felt it couldn't repeat the highs of TMC. Worth investigating?

http://www.4ad.com/artists/thehopeblister

The principle was the same as This Mortal Coil, banding together cover versions, handpicked for their melodic ingenuity, and tapping Ivo's devout love of melancholia. However, this time he assembled a core group of musicians, as opposed to a revolving line-up. The Hope Blister comprised singer Louise Rutkowski (who contributed to This Mortal Coil), bassist Lawrence O'Keefe (ex-Levitation/Dark Star) and string arranger Audrey Riley with Ivo handling production/spiritual guidance and John Fryer on mixing duties. Drummer/saxophonist Richard Thomas appeared on two tracks.
The Hope Blister's 1998 debut, ...Smiles OK, comprised eight songs penned by a variety of artists, including Brian Eno (‘Spider And I’), John Cale (‘Hanky Panky Nohow’), David Sylvian (‘Let The Happiness In’), Heidi Berry (‘Only Human’) and Mojave 3's Neil Halstead (‘Dagger’). The mail-order album Underarms followed a year later, featuring largely instrumental outtakes from the same sessions.

The Hope Blister's first album is short and very sweet. The Eno and Sylvian covers are great. I recommend it.

Green Day:

39/Smooth - 8
Kerplunk - 9
Dookie - 10
Insomniac - 9
Nimrod - 9

Foo Fighters:

Foo Fighters - 9
The Colour and the Shape - 9
There is Nothing Left to Lose - 6

Weezer:

Blue - 10
Pinkerton - 10

It's amazing how all these bands split in 1999 AND NEVER RELEASED ANYTHING ELSE.

Peter Hammill

Sly and the Family Stone

A Whole New Thing - 9
Dance to the Music - 6
Life - 6.5
1969: Stand! - 8
1971: There's a Riot Goin' On - 10
1973: Fresh - 9
1974: Small Talk - 7

I appear to be alone in loving their debut album but there you have it.

Wildhearts

shoulda never reformed

Don't be Happy Just Worry - 9
Earth Vs. - 10
P.H.U.Q. - 8.5
Fishing For Luckies - 8.5
Endless Nameless - 9
The Wildhearts Must Be Destroyed - 3
The Wildhearts - 4
¡Chutzpah! - 2

a real urge to just give every 90's album a 10.

The Police

Outlandos D'Amour - 8
Regatta de Blanc - 9
Zenyatta Mondatta - 6
Ghost in the Machine - 8
Synchronicity - 8

I might actually try Sting, I think I know most of his stuff.

Cyndi Lauper

She's so Unusual - 8
True Colors - 7
A Night to Remember - 3
Hat Full of Stars - 6
Sisters of Avalon - 5
Merry Christmas... have a Nice Life - 5
Shine - 4
Bring Ya to the Brink - 8

Tends to be hit and miss on her albums but actually has quite an interesting career. I haven't listened to any of her cover albums. The Body Acoustic would get an 8 or 9.

Last edited:
The Hope Blister's first album is short and very sweet. The Eno and Sylvian covers are great. I recommend it.

Ordered it there a few weeks ago. You're right - its lovely! Especially the Eno track

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Actually, can someone do Eno's albums?

Excellent thanks!

I only have Here Come the Warm Jets, and Apollo'. Must get hold of some of the other 7-10ers.

Re. Phil Collins. Is he not becomming slightly hipsterish these days, after the Gorilla tv ad and that soundalike song on the Bon Iver album?

The Police

Outlandos D'Amour - 8
Regatta de Blanc - 9
Zenyatta Mondatta - 6
Ghost in the Machine - 8
Synchronicity - 8

I might actually try Sting, I think I know most of his stuff.

Cyndi Lauper

She's so Unusual - 8
True Colors - 7
A Night to Remember - 3
Hat Full of Stars - 6
Sisters of Avalon - 5
Merry Christmas... have a Nice Life - 5
Shine - 4
Bring Ya to the Brink - 8

Being into this type of stuff means that buying records second hand is cheap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back