Quotes from your parents (1 Viewer)

I have my gran's wedding ring, it's grand, just a thin, yellow-metal (the hallmarks are too worn to be legible), band that's almost 80 years old.

My Dad is still persisting on referring to me variously as a "maiden aunt" or "spinster aunt". There should be an agreed age restriction on those terms, like only to be used if the female in question is 85.

Whatever happens though, once you go past the age of 50, you'll be an "auld one" forever.

My Mother sent me a text that read, " Honey, I don't know how to use this thing."

Best part,

the text that followed was even better

" I am serious, This text machine confuses me!"

My aul lad, talking about a local waffler:
"He's a full five eights. A FULL five eights.......and he'll never be eight eights," then, looking across to me with finality and gravitas: "Never."

This was said to my mother.

Old Posh Lady: "I was told that your father was church of Ireland."
My mam: "Yes he was."
Old Posh lady: "I could see it in you, a lovely kindess to your personality. Thats not to speak ill of the Catholics now or anything."
My mam: *Pure shock*

Protestants do have a certain dignity and quietude of spirit not often found in the native population.

We have a word for it alright, but I dont think this is the best place to say it. My mother even says it herself.

Me: Have you been on the internet much in the last week?

Mother: God no, we heard about that april fools day worm and your father wouldnt let me turn it on

Father:Yeah the worm, I heard about it on radio 1.

My brother: Oh for fucks sake.

Later on in the evening while I go on the internet on her laptop..

Mother: The worm, the worm, be careful.

I then explained how such things work to my mother.

Also..

Me: Here go to google... and search it..

Mother: This is wonderful, can we get google the whole time? I'm going to look up growing apple trees now.

Oh and more protestant stuff

Some place up the north comes on the television..

My mother: Daddys cousin was from there, an orange man out and out.

Sub topic -- strange texts and emails from parents:

Subject: Zucchini
Body: we have some growing for you. i will fry it up when you come home. mom

That was it... nothing else, so strange.

Or earlier when discussing my arrival plans (I have to get a bus to my hometown from NYC and it drops off in the Village Green) she said this (mind you, the walk from the bus drop off to my sister's house is about a block maybe two tops!

Sounds great. It is too hot here. Sunday it was 100 degrees and yesterday it was 95 today it is down to 87. We will probably not be back but David or Sandee or Liz will have a vehicle to pick you up. DO NOT WALK. Love Mom

Seriously? Don't walk? It's like a block!

Your parents are mental. Growing you food and offering help and advice. Madness!

3833533608_d63abf8b9d.jpg

Actual correspondence received today from my mother.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back