Questionable van "shops" (1 Viewer)

spiritualtramp

Website
Visit site
Does anyone remember these? I'm not referring to the friendly grocer type vans.

My aunt used to live in Donaghmede and there was a "shop" down the road - on bricks in in someones driveway. They'd sell penny sweets and the like.
The shop was in a manky looking van with "shop" painted on it, dimly lit and I somehow doubt the owners paid their taxes. I recall the owners being mean looking sods.

Anyway, are there any of these establishments still going? Was there a big crackdown on them at some stage? I haven't seen one in years.

spiritualtramp said:

My aunt used to live in Donaghmede and there was a "shop" down the road - on bricks in in someones driveway. They'd sell penny sweets and the like.
The shop was in a manky looking van with "shop" painted on it, dimly lit and I somehow doubt the owners paid their taxes. I recall the owners being mean looking sods.

Anyway, are there any of these establishments still going? Was there a big crackdown on them at some stage? I haven't seen one in years.
I think there's almost definitely one in Finglas, in one of the estates near Cappagh Hospital.

when i was a kid growing up on the mean streets of corduff, there was a van/shop run by a guy called Heno. i wonder if this is his empire.

I'd do it if I had a van and a driving licence and had forearms covered in dodgy tattoo's

I saw one in Crumlin, twas up on blocks in a driveway though, dunno if they're still in business

ramps said:
when i was a kid growing up on the mean streets of corduff, there was a van/shop run by a guy called Heno. i wonder if this is his empire.
i didn't know you were from the duff

do you know the keenans? mclaughlins?

The friendly type - Exhibit A:

36-theVan.jpg

pete said:
i didn't know you were from the duff

do you know the keenans? mclaughlins?

moved out when i was 5 or 6. i lived in corduff park. tiny little houses with tiny windows. long summer days spent asking the conducter on the 38c for a "tickeh roll"

didnt know any of the aformentioned.

i remember these well..and there is indeed one somewhere up near cappagh in finglas still..

theres also that manky place up in artane..its called the hatch i think?it looks filthy..the boy has many fond memories of comin home from fiachras and stuffing his fat little face with crap from there and draws my attention to the place whenever we pass it..yuck..

Roisin said:
Unfunniest film ever.

Ive never seen a van shop on bricks before, ive seen a mobile vegtable van.

Does anyone know if the mobile vegetable van is still around raheny and environs?

ICUH8N said:
Does anyone know if the mobile vegetable van is still around raheny and environs?
i think most corpo / council estates would still have them - they do in cabra anyway. driven by a guy from dundalk.

spiritualtramp said:

She didn't live on St. Donaghs Road, did she? It's in Donaghmede and your description is exactly like a van that used to be in a garden 5 doors down from me growing up. I always remember their cat crawling over everything in the van. Eeeewwww.

There was also a family further down that sold similar stuff but they had it all laid out on their stairs. You knocked on the door, they opened it and then you browsed their stairs for what you wanted.

Wilbert said:
She didn't live on St. Donaghs Road, did she? It's in Donaghmede and your description is exactly like a van that used to be in a garden 5 doors down from me growing up.

No, it was up the other end, whyteleaf or something.

Wilbert said:
There was also a family further down that sold similar stuff but they had it all laid out on their stairs. You knocked on the door, they opened it and then you browsed their stairs for what you wanted.

Ha ha, deadly. The pre-celtic tiger economy cared nothing for display stands.

pete said:
I think there's almost definitely one in Finglas, in one of the estates near Cappagh Hospital.

was there when i used to work there
think it was based out of a nearby house or summit

I grew up in the back of beyond so without the mobile shop people would have starved to death...or had to walk really, really far.

The kids used to love seeing the van coming because he also sold cakes and buns.

he was known far and wide as "Jackie The Bun"

muffin said:
i remember these well..and there is indeed one somewhere up near cappagh in finglas still..

theres also that manky place up in artane..its called the hatch i think?it looks filthy..the boy has many fond memories of comin home from fiachras and stuffing his fat little face with crap from there and draws my attention to the place whenever we pass it..yuck..

ehhh are you my girlfriend????:confused: :heart: :confused:

the hatch rules. its actually not dodgy at all. there use to be a shop on the kilmore road called "the caravan". hardest jaw-breakers in the northside.

there also use to be this guy that drove around housing estates in a van renting out pirate videos.

i dont think so...i think thumped scares my boyfriend..but that shop is mouldy..no matter of yr or my boyfriends protestations:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back