• Start date
  • Replies 22
  • Views 2K
  • Watchers 4

GO

Now Is Go
Supporter
Solutions
Always had a vague interest in Queen.I can't ever remembering listening to their records but I surely did..I definitely owned a couple at one stage.Obviously they did'nt make much of an impression on me but I'm gonna give them another bash...I have their 70's stuff..not gonna bother me hole with anything else....Anyhoo..heres some interesting queen tech articles that got me interested ..

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/1995_articles/oct95/queen.html

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jun02/articles/queensurround.asp

might check out some Marillion too.

Sure...lash up yer fave Queen and Marrilion tunes for the craic

Hmm, where to start. It's nearly all gold.

Best flat out, giving the stones/who et al a run for their money rocker, would be "It's late" offa News of the World. Despite one or two misfires, it's also a hell of an LP.

For breathtaking scale of ambition, it has to be Queen II. It's ridiculous in it's pursuit of Goblins and Orcs etc, but such was the era. Check out from 2.38 of 'Father to son', if that's not one of the proto stoner rock riffs, then I dunno....

Jazz is the one terrible LP, sounds like it was recorded in a total cocaine fug. On all the rest of the LPs John Deacons bass playing is astonishing, on this nearly every song just gets a 'swermp' up the neck in lieu if a deadly bit.

Some of the non 'greatest hits' songs are as hitty, if you will. Check out 'You and I', 'Long away', ah there are millions. The nuttiest overall Queen tune with the greatest guitar overdubbing ever has to be Millionaire's waltz.

So there

Jazz is the last on my chronolgical list of LPs.

I'm kinda looking forward to it now after that scathing review!

All of Sheer heart attack for starters

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

* a decade off, but I really like Brian May's playing on the 80's Queen records. Its alot sparser, they'd gotten over their hatred of synthesizers by then, but there is some really cool playing on tunes like a kind of magic, the invisible man, the miracle, one vision ect...

I like this one from Jazz

Understatement was always an alien concept to Queen.

Flash Gordon soundtrack is my favourite Queen record,closely followed with a toss up between Queen II and Sheer Heart Attack. Got a great bootleg 2xlp a while back of BBC sessions.

This is on it

Some other favourites

(although I've never actually heard the whole of the first lp)

The couple of tunes I head from Hot Space,The Game and Jazz were enough to make me not want to thear more. Although I think most of the records have a crap one or two so they could be decent. Into the 80's I'm not bothered,although I remember really liking the Works as a kid.

For fuck sake.............

I'm still waiting for Black Sabbath: the musical.

Just for the hell of it

Had a go at playing Bohemian Rhapsody on the piano earlier today. It's very complicated.

I sang Bohemian Rhapsody at a karaoke party one night, it was pick-the-song-for-someone-else style karaoke. My revenge was to sing the thing the whole way through.

I've been meaning to listen to more Queen for a while. This should get me started. Think I'll start with Queen II.

Gaz, listen to Queen II from start to finish. Especially ogre battle. I'm not posting links because you need to download the album at a decent bitrate and stick it on your headphones

Gaz, listen to Queen II from start to finish. Especially ogre battle. I'm not posting links because you need to download the album at a decent bitrate and stick it on your headphones

Thats what I shall do so.I have a lovely version of it..I opted to only nab original vinyl rips,so I'd get the real actual production they intended.

Gonna walk Hansel and stick that on the cans!

QUEEN, QUEEN II and SHEER HEART ATTACK are a hell of a first 3 albums for any band... and the collective content is an intimidating maelstrom of ideas given the short space of time in which they were all released... A NIGHT AT THE OPERA and A DAY AT THE RACES take it all somewhere slightly different but are the sound of a band that have blown their own trajectory wide open... The trouble comes after this and the records become a patchy and lopsided mess of creative clarity shoulder to shoulder with smouldering slurry. Some fare better than others... JAZZ is illogically uneven... Into the 80s, it's a matter of what you like about Queen... HOT SPACE was their cocaine album and is a contentious one for the rock fans... THE WORKS and A KIND OF MAGIC are commercial and highly polished but have their moments and the last 3 sometimes just seem like a car ad. There's something to like about every record although like ABBA, the hits have been aurally composted and you probably never need to hear them ever again.

QUEEN, QUEEN II and SHEER HEART ATTACK are a hell of a first 3 albums for any band... and the collective content is an intimidating maelstrom of ideas given the short space of time in which they were all released... A NIGHT AT THE OPERA and A DAY AT THE RACES take it all somewhere slightly different but are the sound of a band that have blown their own trajectory wide open... The trouble comes after this and the records become a patchy and lopsided mess of creative clarity shoulder to shoulder with smouldering slurry. Some fare better than others... JAZZ is illogically uneven... Into the 80s, it's a matter of what you like about Queen... HOT SPACE was their cocaine album and is a contentious one for the rock fans... THE WORKS and A KIND OF MAGIC are commercial and highly polished but have their moments and the last 3 sometimes just seem like a car ad. There's something to like about every record although like ABBA, the hits have been aurally composted and you probably never need to hear them ever again.

NOMINATED POST OF WEEK. That's about the size of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back