qotsa (1 Viewer)

does the nme still have anything worth reading in it? melody maker disappeared and all the writers jumped ship to the next floor of the king's reach tower and it got very crap indeed.

nme? its the music industries heat magazine at this stage. shame that. no amount of reformatting and glossy stickers of the vines can cover up the lack of decent journalism (remember nme doing a feature article on emo last year??? emo as the next big thing? referencing fugazi as a band to watch???) its the indie kids smash hits. the problem probably stems from the fact that the publishers of nme are one and the same as the owners of the music companies. this will not make for honest, insightful or non promotional journalism. so the thing is reduced to the absurd.
still the letters page can amuse.

what is decent music press? stuff like mojo and uncut with shaar murphy, frith, mcdonald etc.? fasinating reads, but even for my greying tastes a bit heavy on the retro and over reverential to the popular music canon. the reviews in uncut and Q in particular border on the zealous, and i have been stung by referenced buzz words and dropped names which in actual fact bear no relation to the music reviewed at all. wire then or spin? too esoteric. what bridges the gap? i'm shelling out whopper funds on mags per month (mojo alone costs euro7 now), and coming away with little return.

i have no internet access other than at work, so what am i supposed to read on the bus home? i've been reading simon napier bell, mick farren and richared neville lately but you can understand why. one more retrospective of the beatles, stones or dylan and i'll revolt into style

oh it's a rag indeed

the great years for Melody Maker, NME and Sounds for me
were the late eighties and early 90's
very entertaining writers like Everett True, Keith Cameron,
Simon Price, Stuart Maconie, Simon Reynolds...

NME has turned into a visionless tabloid
MM and Sounds dissapeared long ago

I guess most of those writers got older and joined
magazines like Uncut, Mojo etc

Damn Speakers!

Couldn't have been a better gig....cept they could've been a bit happier. I guess the enjoyment of the crowd made up for it though. Are anyone elses ears still bloody ringing like goodo? You gotta love'em!!

Originally posted by rothko
oh it's a rag indeed

the great years for Melody Maker, NME and Sounds for me
were the late eighties and early 90's
very entertaining writers like Everett True, Keith Cameron,
Simon Price, Stuart Maconie, Simon Reynolds...

ET is doing his Careless Talk Costs Lives thingy which puports to bring new music to the masses in the way that MM did way back when, and it has a sort of zine type slant to it as well which I quite like.
Sadly I have nearly always heard of all the bands in the fucking thing, and the fact you have to get it mail order for the sum of 8 euro is a pain in the swiss.

Originally posted by kirstie
ET is doing his Careless Talk Costs Lives thingy which puports to bring new music to the masses in the way that MM did way back when, and it has a sort of zine type slant to it as well which I quite like.
Sadly I have nearly always heard of all the bands in the fucking thing, and the fact you have to get it mail order for the sum of 8 euro is a pain in the swiss.

All the Everet True articles I read were always shit. What a whining cunt, he always managed to get his whinge about his own miserable life. Did you ever read the one where he interviewed Kim Dead and told her (and us) that he wanted to get onto heroin. :mad: Tosser

Originally posted by Unclealo
All the Everet True articles I read were always shit. What a whining cunt, he always managed to get his whinge about his own miserable life. Did you ever read the one where he interviewed Kim Dead and told her (and us) that he wanted to get onto heroin. :mad: Tosser

Yeah, probably. ET basically formed my musical taste after the age of about 14 so I will hear nothing bad said about him in his MM days. He was and is a total starfucker though, I did try recently to read his buke and just couldn't bear to finish it. I've noticed that anything article-wise I try to read by him recently I either skim, or get to halfway through and want to kill myself, or him. He also seems to be v proud of the fact he's finally got a woman. Well done, like...

ah, everett true...he's really the dude to hold responsible for the whole 'seattle scene' madness of the late 80's early 90's...subpop paid him, flew him over, kept him loaded, etc...and he helped sell the whole "lumberjacks on heroin" package to the world...more recently he was music editor for the stranger, local music/art rag...typical true-isms, everybody sucks, is unoriginal, not fit to lick his bag, blah blah..the rush limbaugh of music journalism...but it's a good paying schtick for him, I reckon...

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back