Progressive Democrats Finally Go Away (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter pete
  • Start date
  • Replies 30
  • Views 3K
  • Watchers 3
That's the kind of proof that could bring empires to their knees.
THEIR KNEES!

yeah

goff: nothing more foolish than a bad argument from a good position -- plenty of reasons to give out about harney without having to imply that she's on the take

the usual smug condescension won't get you out of it, either

The PDs were a good idea when they started out. Charlie Haughey's Fianna Fáil were indelibly corrupt and honourable men like Desmond O'Malley and Michael Keating decided there had to be a new way.
This was a Fianna Fáil party that didn't want anyone to have contraception, in the fucking 80s like. A party that had destroyed a good part of our cities and towns by instituting back-handers as part of the planning process. A third world party for a third world country.
Fine Gael was hardly a viable alternative.

While the PDs may have lost their way a little by trying to graft free-market policies that were not entirely suited to a country this size, they were a much-needed force for change at the time, and at the very least were a party of ideals and you knew where you stood with them.

I'm sorry to see them go, political discourse needs as many voices as possible - even the ones you don't agree with.

And I am by no means a Michael McDowell fan but as Justice Minister he was a big reason we were able to convince the Northern Protestants that the Republic was a country that would deal seriously with Irish Republican terrorism as part of any peace deal and for that he deserves everyone's respect.

Not everything's black and white.

so anyway...

what's michael mcdowell at these days?

He's gone back to being a lawyer/barrister or whatever he was before he became the bane of our lives. He was involved in some high profile case a while ago .... can't remember what it was.

shes made shit of the health service, i presume? .

in fairness, the health service was a black hole of waste and mismanagement long before she go involved. As someone who works on the fringes of it, I cant see it being sort anytime soon either, barring a). the irish population agree not to get sick for at least six months, b). consultants agree to be paid at the same level as deli assistants, and c). everyone in administration who cant describe what they do in one sentence gets fired.

Harney/drumm et al didnt create the situation, but they certainly added to the mess in their efforts to reform it(largely because the HSE added another layer of administration, along with the inevitable levels of waste and inefficiency that are par for the course), and she proved to be Thatcher like in her ability to push a course of action irregardles of oposition or consequence, pity it wasnt a good one.

As for the childrens hospital; I reckon that was a bertie-centric descision myself, and since his departure very little has been said or done about it.

And in a wonderful example of the lack of interaction between various agencies and general fucking cop on that plauges planning for major facilities in this kip; their currently clearing the site for the metro station here at the mater. The metro works and the running of the metro are going to produce vibrations that will make using many pieces of equipment, not least of all MRI and CAT scan machines impossible.

I could write jane lenght posts of the bullshit I encounter on a daily basis.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back