(Probably another) Andy Irvine Appreciation Thread. (1 Viewer)

Sweeney's Men are great. They have a great tune which has the same air as a Fairport Convention track but with different lyrics - the names of both escape me at the moment.

Sweeney's Men are great. They have a great tune which has the same air as a Fairport Convention track but with different lyrics - the names of both escape me at the moment.

Apparently that's because one of them (Sweeney's Men) learned the wrong tune and they put the other words over the wrong tune. That's why Anne Briggs version is the same wrong tune tune. There you go.

briggs willie o'winsbury is gorgeous! but irvines finest moment, for me anyway, is West Coast of Clare.

apparently BML Modem Ages dream is the music of Genie in a Bottle and the lyrics of Neon Lights ;)

Aye, he's deadly. And a gent too.
Especially when dealing with my mother in law telling him she loved him in Moving Hearts.
"I wish I'd been in Moving Hearts..."

Andy Irvine and Paul Brady LP

probably better than any Planxty album - and that's not easy

nooooooooooooooooooooooooo

but it is great

Andy Irvine says that album is one that Planxty meant to make but never did, so he recorded it with Paul Brady.

Paul Brady was great back in the day. Hes as good a traditional musician as is out there. I saw him at a charity do about 10 years ago in Fitzsimons where he only played trad stuff and it was incredible. The Johnstons were great too.

Irvine is pretty unique. Seeing him play the Blacksmith on his one is a sight to behold. It sounds like a full band and thats a fair achievement for one man and his mandolin.

He's playing in Dublin on Saturday. I'm gonna see him down the country in November.

Paul Brady live bootleg from 78 is amazing. Think it was released later as The Liberty Tapes.

Yeah I've got the liberty tapes. That a gig in Walkinstown? I don't even know where Walkinstown is. I'm wild ignorant of the Southern part of this fair city.

Yeah I've got the liberty tapes. That a gig in Walkinstown? I don't even know where Walkinstown is. I'm wild ignorant of the Southern part of this fair city.

Yep. He's doing a few gigs about the country:

Sat. 25. --Cherrytree, Walkinstown, Dublin
www.musiclee.ie <http://www.musiclee.ie>
Contact Paul Lee 087 6825306
Doors 8.30pm / On stage 9pm
[SIZE=-2]€
20 in advance from www.musiclee.ie / [SIZE=-2]€
22 door[/SIZE]

Mon. 27. --Imagine Festival, St Patrick's Church, Waterford.
www.imagineartsfestival.com
Contact Oliie Breslin – 086 1759188
Doors 7.30pm/ On stage 8pm
Adm. [SIZE=-2]€[/SIZE]20

Fri. 31. -- St David's Church, Naas, Co. Kildare
Contact Barry Heavey - 086 267 2958
Doors 8pm/ On stage 9pm
Adm. [SIZE=-2]€[/SIZE]20

November - solo
Sat. 8. --The Island Music Club, Minogues Bar, Tulla, Co. Clare
doors 9pm
www.myspace.com/claregigs
Adm.
[SIZE=-2]€[/SIZE]20

[/SIZE]

he's playing the John Field Room in the National Concert Hall on July 8th and Mozaik are touring Ireland in November including a gig in Whelans. dates here.

ralelagh arts said:

Note to patrons: Full bar facilities are available in the Tennis Club all evening. We encourage patrons to please avail of them and come early.

fao gazzer

Can't believe I'm going to miss this. I'd have invited yee all back to my gaff afterwards for tennis and mandolins, I live fairly nearby and all...

:(

Saw him in an chle club there in the siptu headquarters on the quays a few months back. Basically 40 people and him in a small room. Magic. Though apparently a notorious bollix paul brady was a damn good backer in his time. Album he did with matt Molloy and Tommy peoples is well worth a listen

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back