Foggy Notions Presents O DEATH+The Spook of the Thirteenth Lock+The Hounds, July 22 (1 Viewer)

Urchin PR

Website
www.myspace.com
Foggy Notions presents an awesome triple bill of experimental trad-folk

O’DEATH

+ The Spook of the Thirteenth Lock
+ The Hounds

Whelan’s, July 22, 8pm

Tickets from City Discs, Tickets.ie, WAV & Ticketmaster outlets nationwide

"This New York band draws from the starkness and spiritual purity of Appalachian folk, the noisemongering of punk and the rowdy theatricality of Tom Waits..” – New York Times

“If your idea of a good time is a crowd of folks moshing to the sound of banjo feedback and Savage Republic drumming, then live O'Death is your cup of moonshine." - Village Voice

Since 2007’s much buzzed-about Head Home, New York quintet O’Death has evolved the possessed Americana-meets-gypsy-punk of recent years into a more urgent, unrelenting celebration of life, death and everything in between.

New album Broken Hymns, Limbs and Skin, (co-produced with Alex Newport-Two Gallants, Locust) feels like a giddy junkyard hoedown - from the panicked fiddle screeches of opener “Low Tide” to the celebratory gallop of closer “Lean-To.” At times it sounds morose or contemplative, but underneath the melancholy is a gospel fervor, bashed from paint buckets, banjos, guitars and anything else within kicking distance.

“After Head Home, we only wrote three songs that year,” says drummer David Rogers-Berry. “By the end of that year, I was like, ‘I don’t know if I can do this project. This is making me really crazy and sick and I don’t like it.’ As soon as we started writing new music again, I was like, ‘that’s why we have this band!’ Playing music is the only thing that matters to me.”

Broken Hymns… carries a deeper meaning as well. In November 2007 Rogers-Berry’s fiancée died of an aneurysm. The group cancelled their European tour plans at the time and returned to her family’s side.

Recording the album fostered a deeper bond in the band. Working with veteran producer Newport, the band let their instruments bleed into one another, replicating their live sound. “We’re tired of people saying our records don’t stand up to our live performances,” says Rogers-Berry. “So we tried to bring some of that energy to it.” They turned it into a celebration. “You know those giant, gallon jugs of Jack Daniels,” Newport says, “I now have a graveyard of those things in my studio.”

In the end, they finally created an album that captured who O’Death is as a band - their dark side and their hopeful nature. From the oompah-pah of “Mountain Shifts” to the gypsy violin of “Home,” it also shows the breadth of their musical command. “It was a hard winter,” says Rogers-Berry, “but this record saved my life.”

Broken Hymns, Limbs and Skin is out Sep 5 on City Slang.

Check out O’Death’s Take Away performance: www.blogotheque.net/article.php3?id_article=3765
And their recent Daytrotter Session: www.daytrotter.com/article/789/free-songs-odeath
www.mypsace.com/odeath
www.odeath.net

THE SPOOK OF THE THIRTEENTH LOCK

The Spook of the Thirteenth Lock is music from Dublin, Ireland. Named after a poem about a haunted canal lock, The Spook play in the Irish folk tradition delving into the realms of psych, prog and post rock. Sometimes a single player, a folk trio or a full on psych-rock band, the Spook have a unique take on the idea of Irish folk rock, making the familiar sound innovative, the ancient new, and the local sound universal.

To date they have released a critically acclaimed self titled debut album on renowned Irish/Japanese label Transduction records and played numerous concerts around Ireland, including a performance at the Electric Picnic festival. The album has been distributed by RMG in Ireland, Cargo in the UK and by Catune in Japan and is also available on iTunes. In February the band embark on a Japanese tour

"an album that combines vitality, bold vision and vivid imagination. Time to ditch those tired old Celtic-rock retreads. This is the real stuff" - Rock and Reel

"One of the best pieces of contemporary Irish rock music we've heard in an age" - The Irish Times

"The best album I have heard from Ireland since Fionn Regan's 'The End Of History' and like that masterpiece this a record that is exceptionally beautiful and inspired yet truly deeply disturbed" - Americana UK

"Haunted, rabble rousing folk" - Evening Herald

"the best tunes are wrapped in the kind of guitar blizzard mostly associated with Sixteen Horsepower or early Dirty Three" - Uncut

"Irish album of the year by a country mile (with hairpin bends every 15 yards), haunting doesn't even begin to describe it" - MP3 Hugger

"Heart-pounding Pogues-esque moments, My Bloody Valentine's fuzzy logic, indie guitar crescendos and Nick Cave's solitary confinement rock…wonderful work" – State

THE HOUNDS

The Hounds are a group of lads from Dublin brought together by their love of traditional music. Having known one another from about the age of 8, they learned music in various branches of Comhaltas around Dublin, and often met and competed against each other at Fleadhs around the country.

From about the age of 14, the lads started busking on Grafton St, attracting large crowds and getting enough money for a few pints in Conradh na Gaeilge the following night.

Largely influenced by bands such as The Bothy Band and Planxty, The Hounds play a type of music they believe to be true to the tradition. The Bothy Band laid down a benchmark in Irish traditional music, which The Hounds believe hasn't been equaled since.

The Hounds are:
Aran Mc Bride - Uileann Pipes
Barry Lyons - Fiddle
Conor Lyons - Bodhran/Bouzouki
Dermot O Hanlon - Fiddle
Joey Doyle - Flute/Piano/Guitar
Sean Garvey - Accordion/Melodeon
Colm O Briain - Bouzouki

Re: Foggy Notions Presents O DEATH+The Spook of the Thirteenth Lock+The Hounds, July

Not sure exactly, but something like:

8.15 The Hounds
8.45 Spook
9.30 O'Death
10.30 curfew

Looking forward to seeing the Hounds, Hounds lawyer will be present ;)

Re: Foggy Notions Presents O DEATH+The Spook of the Thirteenth Lock+The Hounds, July

Can't make this myself but if anyone hasn't seen O Death live I urge you to go.

this is gonna be amazing. shame i had to give away my tix cos i have to WORK, UGH!!!!!!!!!

Can't make this myself but if anyone hasn't seen O Death live I urge you to go.
I second that - i've seen them twice and they were amazing both times. Can't wait for tonight!!!

2 free tickets available for this tonight!!!!

My girlfriend won 2 tickets (well a guestlist spot +1) for this tonight but we can't make it. If anyone wants it, PM me and it's all yours. Assuming that's ok with Thumped/Foggy folks.

Ta.

Crazy bastids. O'Death sure put on a show.

Enjoyed the new Spook songs, looking forward to whatever results.

absolutely fantastic show, amazing

I feel like someones been kicking me in the head all night. This was so loud. O'Death and Spook owe me an ear-drum each.

Good stuff though.

Excellent gig - that was the third time i'd seen them and they've been brilliant each time. Btw, how come tickets for the gig cost €15.50 and it was €13.50 at the door?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back