pro tools <-> cubase <-> logic <-> etc ?? (1 Viewer)

ann post

Supporter
Solutions
so, i've decided that its time to stop recording on cyclinders, as an experiment. i have the legal cubase thing that they give out free with pencils, though i'm tempted to build on protools instead, except i need to know some things.

a few questions:

1. which of the above (or others i didnt think of) is the most cross compatible with other studio daw's?? i.e. can protools open cubase projects or vice verso??

2. which daw is most compatible with interfaces??? from the digidesign website it seems to imply that they want you to only use M-box products for protools. are these devices generic, i.e. will an m-box work with cubase/logic/other, will stuff from manufacturers like zoom (specifically the hd 16) which is bundled with cubase work with protools and logic or is it completely proprietary? same question about the rme fireface, and basically all interfaces.

3. not as relevant to the title. i want a rack mount patch bay for xlr's. do they exist? it only needs 8-16 strips.

I use Cubase and Logic but would recommend you check out Ableton Live as well. Each DAW will suit different recordists so it depends on what you want to do with it but don't rule any of them out on someone elses advice. Read up on them all and demo any ones that you can.
As I said, check out Live. I'm pretty sure you can demo the full thing for 14 days for free from their website.

i've always ignored ableton as i always saw electronic guys using it, which made me suspect that its features would have a bias towards looping and electronic paramater manipulation. this could all be a fabrication of my own mind. i prefer to record live things with microphones and e.q., i rarely need loops at all. just shitloads of tracks. this is going through a mac, if thats in any way relevant.

i've been reading up on it, i'm a little thrown on the way the forums look, theres an awful lot of threads about 'how do i make it work with my interface', as i need a control surface to facilitate my brain, that said, i'm definitley downloading the 'trial' version.

i'm very much into getting something that works retardedly well out of the box, with no extra setting up. i dont like having to become a tech to record music as such. cubase is still winning so far. i like the idea that i can change interface freely.

thanks redtape and other folks. probably more questions to come. purchasing probably begins next week.

at present i'm looking at:

d.i./preamps/outboards -> patchbay-> rme fireface -> zoom hd16 -> cubase.

or
di/preamps/outboards -> patchbay -> cubase

possibly with a 12x mixer in there to have a 'pre' output mix.

For what its worth, I started off using Cubase and then onto ProTools. Protools seemed more intuitive than Cubase at the time...the sends in Cubase were odd. In saying that I could always do what I wanted in Cubase pretty quickly, and I'm sure its been refined a lot more since I last used it.

I've demo'ed Abelton and its great fun for putting together tunes from loops really quick but I wouldn't recommend it for recording live instruments.

Most programs do everything you need at this stage, so if you get used to using one particular program, then you will always find a way to make it work for you, without limitations.

Reaper is the easiest to use by far.Its ridiculous.

I currently use Cubase 4 - it's great. Actually it's better than great for multitrack recording.
I also use Ableton - it's great too but not for multitrack recording.
I used to use Logic - it's great but had to switch to Cubase cos I'm PC only.
I refuse to use Protools cos it ties you to hardware that I don't like and I hate the midi support.

Place I work just got Protools in so I'll be learning it over the next few weeks and months. Kind of glad cause this way I get paid to learn how to use it, whereas the others I just had to dick around on my own time. Prefer Logic to Cubase but that's cause I'm a bit of a Mac fanboy and I've met too many engineers who swear by Cubase. I don't like engineers as a rule.
Use Live the most for my own stuff and it definitely leans toward electronic composition but I've used it for multitrack recording and for editing audio (Audition is way better for that tho).

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back