pro tools <-> cubase <-> logic <-> etc ?? (1 Viewer)

latest version of my plan is i'm going to order that zoom yoke and run cubase and reaper for a month to see which i prefer. totally been put off protools by the hardware side of it. so anyways, is there such thing as an xlr patch bay, and where might i get one??

mh, well i dont have that mac.

so now its sonar vs. cubase vs. reaper.

any comments on the mastering end of each of these??

and is there such thing as a phantom powered xlr patch bay, closest i can find is a 4 channel d.i.

I personally HATE cubase, but reaper is pretty darn ok!

as for mastering... cakewalk is really awesome as the routing is completely world-class...

depends though... are you using a lot of outboard gear to master...or plugins?

Hmm... Well I guess I'd stick w. Cakewalk then as its probably the best at integrating w external gear... Out of the three.
Maybe go to a shop and play with it first

mh, well i dont have that mac.

so now its sonar vs. cubase vs. reaper.

any comments on the mastering end of each of these??

and is there such thing as a phantom powered xlr patch bay, closest i can find is a 4 channel d.i.

don't know about the others, but it's very easy to integrate external hardware with Cubase.
Cubase with an RME interface is pretty rock solid, as they use them to develop the software.

If you want to make red book cd's for replication, Reaper & Sonar can burn cd's, but I'm not sure they conform to the red book standard, so you may have playback problems on certain cd players.

If you were going down the Bootcamp route, Samplitude is also a really great DAW.
Doesn't integrate external hardware as well as Cubase, but apart from that it's excellent. In terms of mastering, it's much better than any previously mentioned.

I never really got the whole mbox thing - I think the big pro tools setups in pro studios are cool but the scaled down home version dont really have any advantage over other decent sound cards - pro tools has that 'hoover' brand association though.Am I wrong???

Anyway id go cubase plus decent second had sound card or usb audio interface. Do you know about sound cards ??

As for compatibility most arent even compatible with older version of them selves!!!
Just pick one stick with it and dont do what most people do and try out 900 DAws and 8million plugins. What Ive found in last ten years of using PC based shit is that there all the same just different workflows.No PC has a 'sound' like with a hardware desk etc.Theres some great FX plugins out there now and were in the golden age of automation -but software should be treated with extreme pinch of saltness !!!

i know about sound cards, if you can fit one into a mini mac or imac then hats off to you.

that was a tad sarcastic, what i was really saying was that i'm likely to use it in two different rooms with different forms of basically the same mac and occasionally on the road, so external is prerequisite.

I never really got the whole mbox thing - I think the big pro tools setups in pro studios are cool but the scaled down home version dont really have any advantage over other decent sound cards - pro tools has that 'hoover' brand association though.Am I wrong???
Anyway id go cubase plus decent second had sound card or usb audio interface. Do you know about sound cards ??

As for compatibility most arent even compatible with older version of them selves!!!
Just pick one stick with it and dont do what most people do and try out 900 DAws and 8million plugins. What Ive found in last ten years of using PC based shit is that there all the same just different workflows.No PC has a 'sound' like with a hardware desk etc.Theres some great FX plugins out there now and were in the golden age of automation -but software should be treated with extreme pinch of saltness !!!

YES YES YES (-minus the cubase thing, but I respect your right to be wrong :)).

The only thing I'd add is that firewire soundcards are also a GREAT choice...

I rock a Focusrite Saffire at home (because I dig is D/As) and its brill!

more questions:

1. i'm going to be using 4gb of ram on a new mac on this setup for a while. am i to expect any problems with 18 tracks via usb and larger loads at the mixing end of it??

main reason for that question is that if 18 lives in's is too much load for usb with 4gb then i'd probably look into down grading the interface end of things and concentrating on mics.

what computer hardware and what types of interface are you guys using with your various setups and what glitches have you experienced?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back