Private schools (2 Viewers)

Oh, it doesn't at all, I was just asking you a question dude

Y'see this is a great idea, and it's what, by coincidence, my American aunt did (or tried to do) with her kids when they went to high school ... but, y'know, I dunno how one would actually go about it, or if it's actually really possible at all. Like, all the people around me think the pub in my village is "great for the dinner" but as far as I can see it's standard (i.e. crap) pub food served in large portions. What good would it do me to ask these people what they think of the local school? I go down to the school and talk to the teacher, and I like her say, she seems nice - but what can I tell from that? Is she going to be have sufficient control of the class to stop the bold boys from intimidating the girls? And still not be too stern for my fairly boisterous little girl to be able to enjoy herself? Is she going to spend all her time with the densers and my brainy child will be bored? Or maybe Isabelle's going to be a denser and if she is will the teacher neglect her and pay more attention to the bright kids? Or maybe she prefers to do lots of booklearning and Isabelle would be better at practical stuff, but I don't know because it's her first time in school.

It's all very confusing, and easy to say that you'll do the research and find what's best for the child, but I wonder if by doing so you're just giving yourself the illusion that you're in control.

Not arguing with you now mind, just thinking out loud

Irish primary schools, the majority of which are of a pretty high standard, have such a broad curriculum that your little girl will have plenty of time and space to develop her personality and interests. By the time you're seriously considering secondary schools, you'll know what her needs are. Also, a small amount of research will tell you a lot about a school's ethos - whether its focus is on academia or personal development or sport or whatever.

My school, particularly when I started, was psychotically into exam results. Although this turned out great for lots of girls in the long-term, it also made the atmosphere fairly miserable at times. Particularly, I imagine, if you were in one of the lower classes.

I remember being completely infatuated with the idea of going to St. Andrew's in Booterstown. I spent a day there and it seemed to be the polar opposite of my school i.e. the vibe wasn't so "nuns-deriving-inspiration-from-a-trip-to-Dachau".

I would choose a school for my kids based on how their teaching styles would cater to my child's needs. If it ended up being a private school, then that's what I'd choose.

Strongly agree.

The public/private label really doesn't tell you very much about a school at all. Except in the case of primary schools, where the lack of regulation means that "private" can often be a euphemism for "not great".

My school, particularly when I started, was psychotically into exam results. Although this turned out great for lots of girls in the long-term, it also made the atmosphere fairly miserable at times. Particularly, I imagine, if you were in one of the lower classes.

Seconded.

By the time we were leaving, though, the school was full of knackers. So it's ok now.

any of your schools have links with a famous band???? well did they??? mine did. fuckin rock n' roll

not quite

SCUM.jpg

I went to two high schools, both in the same town.

Between them, we had:

Matt LeBlanc
Stephen Colbert
The dudes who wrote the American Office
The dude who plays the Ricky Gervais dude on aforementioned show
Anal Cunt

That's all I can think of offhand.

Strongly agree.

The public/private label really doesn't tell you very much about a school at all. Except in the case of primary schools, where the lack of regulation means that "private" can often be a euphemism for "not great".

Exactly. And the thing is, 'private' means something different in the US. For pre-kindergarten, there is only private, but I'd probably keep my kid in Montessori education for as long as possible. Then, unless I was in a totally crappy school district, I'd opt for public primary for the first few years while my child developed, and keep him or her there for as long as his or her needs were being served.

If it turned out he or she needed something else, or might benefit from a less traditional (or even a stricter) ethos, I'd be looking for private schools. But the difference in the US is that because there isn't the same secondary exam system, schools can be so much broader in their approaches. Even with a broad range of options, at the end of school, all Irish students still have to meet the exact same standard. I think some things have changed in the US, though, since Bush is all about 'results', so I dont' think things are as rosy as they woudl have been when I was a kid.

I went to two high schools, both in the same town.

Between them, we had:

Matt LeBlanc
Stephen Colbert
The dudes who wrote the American Office
The dude who plays the Ricky Gervais dude on aforementioned show
Anal Cunt

That's all I can think of offhand.
Did you have a science teacher called Tom Barner?

I went to school with half the Donegal team and a fair few Finn Harps players.

Our principal once famously stated "is ionann C agus teip" (a C equals a fail).

a good way to know about the school is to read their whole school policy before yr kid goes there. It'll break down absolutely every area of the school and every class level ,from what they will be taught, to how their questions will answered in sex education ,to how bullying incidents or accidents are dealt with by the school.

most parents either dont know about this or dont bother to read it but it gives an insight into how yr child is going to be taught.of course you have to differentiate for different teachers but the ethos of the school will still have to be followed regardless of the teacher..

Friends of mine from primary went to Kilkenny College, Wesley or Alexandra - the academic standards in the Community School were higher.
I can see how that'd be the case. I went to yer normal average bogger national school which had me at a much higher standard than most of my class when I was packed off under protest to a boarding school along the lines of the above (though not either of them - we had nuns). My parents naively thought that because they were paying that the teachers would be good. Eh, no. They were either relics or freaks and sometimes both. "Oh but the girls make such nice friends" said one of the mothers to my (unimpressed) auld wan. Again, no. Some of the girls were nice alright but about half my class were spoilt bee-atches whose lives revolved around pony clubs and snogging each other's brothers at the Clongowes open day. Kerrist. So, parents, beware of a school's reputation. Private does not mean any better than the local public school - just snobbier.

a good way to know about the school is to read their whole school policy before yr kid goes there.

another good way to check out schools for your kids is to disguise yourself as a pupil and go hang out there for a couple of weeks, I did this and ended up flunking maths, getting the lead in the school play and then falling in love with the head cheerleader... :)

it got a little icky when they her parents called the police, but I still stand by it as a sound idea

another good way to check out schools for your kids is to disguise yourself as a pupil and go hang out there for a couple of weeks, I did this and ended up flunking maths, getting the lead in the school play and then falling in love with the head cheerleader... :)

it got a little icky when they her parents called the police, but I still stand by it as a sound idea

so they based this film on you?

neverbeenkissed.jpg

And all because Sr. Raphael left.

Srs. Leonardo, Donatello and Michelangelo just couldn't pick up the slack.

I actually had April O'Neill in my class. Not in that her name was April, but just insofar as her hair was flaming red, she was an overly ambitious headwrecker and I longed dearly to sort her face out with a pair of nunchucks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back