Private schools (1 Viewer)

That's mad. I must have gone to school up the road from you Pete, and there was literally 4 kids in my class. And about 5 in the one below.
The kids were from Ringsend, Irishtown, Ballsbridge Sandymount sort of area.
Public school and everything, just Prod. I wasn't even protestant and they let me no problems.

There was more of a focus on painting and knitting rather than GAA there though.

EDIT (Out of the 10 of us, one ended up brown bread crashing a robbed car chased by the coppers, with a load of gear on him. And killed everyone else in the car. Two ended up in jail for GBH / ABH / aggrivated assault. One of them was Sinead O'Connors neice. An Italian chick... and me basically.)

That's mad. I must have gone to school up the road from you Pete, and there was literally 4 kids in my class. And about 5 in the one below.
The kids were from Ringsend, Irishtown, Ballsbridge Sandymount sort of area.
Public school and everything, just Prod. I wasn't even protestant and they let me no problems.

There was more of a focus on painting and knitting rather than GAA there though.
St Mary's BNS Haddington Road for me.

The day I left I swore I'd never forget that I hated every fucking minute of it.

I went to a Church of Ireland primary school, 2 rooms, 2 teachers and 4 classes to a room. About 40 students in all. It was great. Community school for secondary, no complaints. Friends of mine from primary went to Kilkenny College, Wesley or Alexandra - the academic standards in the Community School were higher.

St Mary's BNS Haddington Road for me.

The day I left I swore I'd never forget that I hated every fucking minute of it.
I really liked my school. Particularly the knitting element. There was cooking as well.
In fairness I should probably have caught gay off the place.

St Matthews National School in Irishtown for me. Grand school though. No uniforms and girls were there.

Newpark on the other hand, I fucking hated every minute of.

I really liked my school. Particularly the knitting element. There was cooking as well.
In fairness I should probably have caught gay off the place.

St Matthews National School in Irishtown for me. Grand school though. No uniforms and girls were there.

Newpark on the other hand, I fucking hated every minute of.
I went to Ringsend Tech. I could have gone to Sandymount High or Marian College - but no, young pete has to go where his mates are going. What a sap.

I went to Ringsend Tech. I could have gone to Sandymount High or Marian College - but no, young pete has to go where his mates are going. What a sap.

Ah yeah. Billy Gannon went to Marian. We were terrified of the kids out of Marian, so we used to go over, and fuck stones at them, and give them the finger, and tear off with genuine fear down to this safe house near by. The Marion lads knew us, and used to scream that they were going to throw us in the Dodder.

Ringsend Tech though was different. We didnt even fuck with those lads. We presumed they had guns for a start, sometimes we went in when there was no one there. We went out there to those flats there on our bikes, to watch people shooting up heroin.
And then we would buy worms in the fishing shop and go off fishing off the North Wall.

Here, you know they filmed that Heroin In Ireland advert down the Dodder there, under the arch where you turn off for Landsowne Rd station? That was also scary that place.

Ah yeah. Billy Gannon went to Marian. We were terrified of the kids out of Marian, so we used to go over, and fuck stones at them, and give them the finger, and tear off with genuine fear down to this safe house near by. The Marion lads knew us, and used to scream that they were going to throw us in the Dodder.

Ringsend Tech though was different. We didnt even fuck with those lads. We presumed they had guns for a start, sometimes we went in when there was no one there. We went out there to those flats there on our bikes, to watch people shooting up heroin.
And then we would buy worms in the fishing shop and go off fishing off the North Wall.

Here, you know they filmed that Heroin In Ireland advert down the Dodder there, under the arch where you turn off for Landsowne Rd station? That was also scary that place.
Ringsend Tech was graaand so it was. Some total headcases for sure, but it also had some pretty awesome teachers - Con Harvey & Sean O'Hanlon for starters.

I can't believe I did 3 years of woodwork & metalwork classes. Don't remember a thing.

I wa the only one out of six kids to go public school it all the way. All my siblings are now tremendously well educated and thusly very wealthy. I'm sound, but with no qualifications.

Tough call.

My school, looks way more impressive on the outside.
St_Eunans_College.bmp

Your usual private schools are places where the wealthy people go, and by going avoid any contact with the plebs - or even places where the brainy kids go and therefore avoid any contact with densers - I think both of these are a bad thing are a bad thing for society and therefore wouldn't send my child to one. Educate Together schools and the like are a bit more a grey area for me - they may be a force for good in world because they introduce new thinking into traditional schooling

Anyway, I don't think a kid is necessarily better off in a private school. What is a good school anyway? The cousin I mentioned is very focussed on "brains" and academic success, but I don't think that's a good thing, really. Isn't it equally important to get an understanding of the society in which you live, and how that works, and how to deal with the fact that other people have different views of the world, and different levels of talent for different things, and different levels of wealth? I think it is

Anybody hear that quote from Keith Jarrett, when somebody commented on his quite lyrical interpretations of Bach, that went something like "intellect is overvalued in our society, and therefore everyone focuses on the intellectual parts of Bach's music and misses everything else" ... em what am I trying to say now ... I think my point is - a private school might (and it's a very big might, private school teachers don't have to be as highly trained) help develop someone's intellectual skills, but I suspect their exclusivity conspires to reduce the amount of diversity a child is exposed to, and therefore hinders their development in other ways

I tell you what egg, send your kids to a private school, let them play on the street with their neighbours, let them play on the local football team. They'll get their mix of a good education and a well-rounded life.

The most frustrating thing about my schooling was that i was interested in learning and studying but the dominant group in my class were just spoiled and looking for attention, so if you wanted to do well you more or less had to go through the text books yourself.

I've played football for the past 24 years in every shit hole in Dublin and have mixed with people from all sorts of backgrounds, so i think I've had a reasonable exposure to different sorts of people. I've also worked in about a dozen jobs, which has helped too.

School just made me a life-long resenter of people wasting my time. It didn't teach me anything about the benefits of mixing with the normals.

They don't develop they're intellectual skills. They develop kids' ability to look at a question and determine which memorised points they should write within the 3 hour period of a leaving cert exam. They don't need to understand anything they're actually writing or come up with their own idea's about stuff.

i went to a private school, and i'd have been as well - probably better - off going to the state school down the road. i didn't like rugby, which didn't help.

i went to a private school, and i'd have been as well - probably better - off going to the state school down the road. i didn't like rugby, which didn't help.

I went to a public school in a rugby town and didn't like Rugby either and I imagine are experiences would be similar. School IMHO is as much about what you bring to it as much as anthing else, some bright people will do well, some clowns will make everyones life a bore and some people will feel there is nothing there to appeal to them at all and space out for 12 or 13 years.

The best you can hope for is that your kids make some cool friends and aren't given any shit by bullies or teachers (who can be worse then any bullies) (hello to my old history teacher)

Personally I live by the Anacaronym

All Schools Fuck You Up All The Time No Matter What

A.S.F.Y.U.A.T.T.N.M.W.

which is easy to remember cause it's Cat Stevens new middle name

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back