Primavera Sound 2009 (1 Viewer)

What was Neil Young's set like? Oldies? Newies?

wednesday night was the greatest night ever: zu, boozing it
up in a deadly/shitty bar, having a bala plástica fired right
past/over us walking up the rambla. friday night was also
particularly deadly. being back sucks!

Beer tokens = bad, 45 min waits to get to the machines at peak times and then they won't take your crumpled 20.

See. That was your problem. You should have gone at off peak time when there was no wait and bought your tokens for the night.

What was 'The Wall'?

What was Neil Young's set like? Oldies? Newies?
http://www.thrasherswheat.org/2009/05/barcelona-spain-primavera-sound-2009.html

Mansion On The Hill
Hey Hey, My My (Into The Black)
Are You Ready For The Country?
Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere
Pocahontas
Spirit Road
Cortez The Killer
Cinnamon Girl
Mother Earth
The Needle And The Damage Done
Unknown Legend
Heart Of Gold
Old man
Down By The River
Get Behind The Wheel
Rockin' In The Free World
------
A Day In The Life

Really enjoyed the festival, aphex twin, deerhunter, start of liars set (pity they clashed with deerhunter) MBV and spiritualized, bat for lashes and Neil Young were my highlights. didnt mind the tokens as made it easier for staff taking drinks orders, saw a few folk climbing the wall!, luckily none fell.

it sucks being home. feeling rather emo today :(
if i had to pick 1 act from each day:
wednesday - zu
thursday - the jesus lizard (the bug was brilliant as well)
friday - mbv (auditori)
saturday - neil young

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

unreal

Amazing Neil Young set ... bodes well for the 21st of June - for which I have two spare tickets for sale. Anyone?

Will write something mroe substantial later, as I've just returned after over 10 hours travelling. But that was great. Really liked the venue, nice atmosphere, and a load of excellent gigs (albeit not any real 'great' ones).
Beer tokens thing was a farce on the Thursday, but was great once you had put down your 80 quid or whatever for Estrellas. Did anyone else notice that if you bought the celiac beer tokens, you in almost every circumstance get a normal beer, only for 3 quid instead of 4? That was great. Possibly a highlight of the weekend.

saw a few folk climbing the wall!, luckily none fell.

Judging by the couple of dudes wandering round in casts and bust up faces on the Saturday I'm not sure if that's right. Saw a couple of falls myself although they managed to walk/limp away.

Did anyone else notice that if you bought the celiac beer tokens, you in almost every circumstance get a normal beer, only for 3 quid instead of 4? That was great. Possibly a highlight of the weekend.

yeah

i think in future years they'll have to hire a few select Irish people to find the flaws in their system

last year we flahed the give 11 vouchers when you were supposed to give 15 and just walk away

on musical terms
th'faith healers were absolutely 1000% brilliant

the whole card system to get in and out was pretty shit too, i lost mine on the thursday and managed to get one for friday which in turn i lost as well

the whole card system to get in and out was pretty shit too, i lost mine on the thursday and managed to get one for friday which in turn i lost as well

to be fair, it's the best system to stop people sneaking in with out
and keeping numbers of the crowd
and I assume they use the data to work out general audience trends

Judging by the couple of dudes wandering round in casts and bust up faces on the Saturday I'm not sure if that's right. Saw a couple of falls myself although they managed to walk/limp away.

you mean this wall?

3590624034_d77543ea73.jpg

My highlights were
Neil Young.
Bloc Party.
Deerhunter.
My Bloody Valentine.
Crystal Stilts.
Phoenix.
The lack of queues.
The food.
The ease of access getting to the venue.

Did anyone see Andrew Bird???? It was one of the funniest shows ever sadly it wasn't intentional. He played the guitar and violin during some songs and we just kept waiting for him to play the guitar with his violin a la Nigel Tufnel then he kept whistling.........like a bird....... an Andrew Bird!!!!!!!! We were very stoned during his set :p

the booze ticket thing is fucking absurd. How am I supposed to know what I want to drink in 4 hours?

A lot of people were giving out about them especially the queues but there was machines just to the back of the Pitchfork stage and there was never more then 4 people in the queue at any time, the bar across from it was always empty too!

[plug] State is doing day by day reviews of the festival [/plug]

http://www.state.ie/state-primavera-sound-09-day-one/

The Jarvis Cocker review says he played 'Something Changed' and 'Help The Aged' did he??? I saw almost all the set (had to go for a piss and a pint) and don't remember those songs? Or did he come back for an encore??

saw a few folk climbing the wall!, luckily none fell.

The wall as impossible to avoid climbing once pints were taken, I skillfully managed to stumble on it but somehow kept my balance, others weren't as lucky...

Amazing weekend.

Neil Young was... incredible. My first time seeing him, at last, and i couldn't have asked for a better setlist. Cortez The Killer was so amazing.

also these ruled hard:

Sonic Youth
Zu
MBV
Squarepusher
Lightning Bolt
Jesus Lizard (not as good as ATP though)
Deerhunter
El-P

Only real let-down was Jesu... mind-bendingly awful set.

The drink tokens thing was total bullshit. Not being able to get a water without queuing for a token, then queuing again at a bar only to be told that they'd RUN OUT OF WATER on the last night was fucking rubbish.

Only coming down from this whole weekend now. Then again,only got back last night; Highlights for me were defo

Neil Young (played EVERY song i hoped for, seemed to love it himself too)
Bat For Lashes (her voice, her catsuit!)
Phoenix (danced a lot but dont remember enough songs)
Micheal Nyman, New Year and MBV in the Auditori, (it would almost be impossible not to enjoy gigs in that place though, outstanding venue)
Pleasant surprises were Charles van Gaanden and Women, had never heard either before. Disappointments were Marni and Bloc Party (dont know why i keep giving them a chance)
Only got to see some of Jesus Lizard which i regret, Yo La Tengo were great too but everyone seems jaded with them at festivals, no-one was really raving about Sonic Youth either even though they were as good as always. Festival fatigue or somethin...

Beer token things was grand, just got it over with, also it was so easy to smuggle in and not one security gaurd bothered me or any of my mates all weekend. Way forward.
How do you go back to tents after sea side apartments with pools and fridges and sound people and sun?

We even got mugged in the Apolo on the Monday and its way down on my list of memories of the week.Thats how good it was

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back