pre-amp or phantom power supply, which to buy...? (1 Viewer)

Rogue

Website
Visit site
Hey, I just bought one of these

rv6shocksmall%282%29.jpg

but it won't work with one of these

tascamus122.s.jpg

My centrino laptop doesn't have the juice to run the phantom power, I reckon this is the problem cos the mic is incredibly noisy (and because the people who sold me the soundcard said that might happen, after the fact).

So I reckon I need to get a standalone phantom power supply but I figured it might be just as well to get a pre-amp instead: the discussion on pre-amps here before was very enlightening. Bottom line of course is that I can't afford a new soundcard, I can afford about €50-60.

This looks reasonable,

d489322af0c457fc9c04fe57af29766d.jpg

or el cheapo one of these

millenium_pps2_pimx_134240.jpg

That's odd, because the Tascam does claim to have phantom.. I'd try out the mic on a desk or another unit.. it could be that the problem lies elsewhere.. best to find out before you splash the cash.
Have you tried different cables?
The other input on the Tascam?
Could be the mic is dodgy.

Thanks pete. Could be any of those but unfortunately I've nothing to try it out with here, no desk, no other cables (the cable I have is by 'proline', not confidence inspiring...). It could also be the mic.

I'm only guessing the tascam is the problem because I've had it cause blue-screens before with condenser mics when the phantom power is switched on and the vendors said that just after I'd bought mine they stopped bundling them with centrino laptops as the laptops were too low powered.

But I figure I can't go too far wrong by having a phantom power supply lying around the gaff. Was just wondering if I'd be better off buying a dedicated phantom power or aim for one built into a pre-amp.

That's odd, because the Tascam does claim to have phantom..

it obviously does, if it didn't Igor would be saying "I get no sound" rather then it makes the mic noisey

is the Tascam USB or Firewire powered?

I would imagine a phantom supply will do it, if your happy to use the preamps on the tascam without phantom power...

but it all sounds a little odd...

it obviously does, if it didn't Igor would be saying "I get no sound" rather then it makes the mic noisey

is the Tascam USB or Firewire powered?

but it all sounds a little odd...

Odd is the word, I emailed tascam to see if they could shed any light but no word, also emailed the mic people, no replies yet. Tascam is usb 2.0.

I would imagine a phantom supply will do it, if your happy to use the preamps on the tascam without phantom power...

if the mic is working on a separate phantom power supply, will that be acting as a pre-amp before the tascam's (without the tascam phantom power) and will that have an effect on the sound?

if the mic is working on a separate phantom power supply, will that be acting as a pre-amp before the tascam's (without the tascam phantom power) and will that have an effect on the sound?

nah, you'll be going...

Mic - phantom power(to send 48v to mic) - tascam's pre amp (to boost level of signal) - computer

using a seperate phantom power supply should (SHOULD!) take the strain off the tascam, which I guess is taking power via the USB cable from your lap top... so it'll take the strain off your laptop and it's power supply battery

I wouldn't imagine it'll affect the sound... I'd guess...

Thanks both, I may as well grab a power supply and hope for the best.

at the very least it'll rule the phantom power out as a problem

can you get a 57 or someother dynamic mic that doesn't need phatom power, good way to see if the tascam performs once the Phantom Power is taken out of the equation, before you spend $$$

man that looks nice!!how much did you splash for it? thomann?
strange that it won't work with the tascam - does it take batteries;)

A little scottish company called red5 audio, £40, saw some good word-of-month reviews on t'net. I did see some condensers on thomann that take batteries and would probably have been better off with that but what the hey. Popping into london tomorrow to check it out on my mate's digital desk so that'll decide whether the problem's with the mic or the tascam.

If anyone's interested, turns out that the crappy JHS mic cable was the
problem, XLR female didn't connect properly with the mic, cause of shocking cracklage. I changed the cables around put a milennium phantom power supply in the chain, problem sorted, lovely mic!

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back