PPP... (1 Viewer)

Cormy

Since 2000
Website
www.thumped.com
Most of you have probably heard about the PPP summit on here from the 10th - 12th October & the protests & demos that'll be held at it.

If not, you can read about it below.

Anyway, I'm organising a street theatre type thingo for it, which will be at the main demo on Wednesday 10th October at about 6pm. It'll be a deadly laugh, we've got some good shit planned, so if you'd like to get involved and help out e-mail me at [email protected] or phone (01) 2966155. Naturally you can do as much or as little as you like -don't be shy & get in touch!

------

Globalise Resistance is calling for a mass mobilization against the Global Summit on Privatisation that is taking place in Dublin on the 10th October. The Irish Government from 10-12th October in the Burlington Hotel is hosting the 2nd Annual Public-Private Partnership Initiative Global Summit. This Summit will be attended by ministerial delegations from countries such as France, Germany, Spain, Argentina, Chile, Bulgaria, and Poland among others. They along with Bertie Ahern, Charlie Mcreevy, and Mary O'Rourke will be discussing the privatization of water, transport, education and labour ‘issues’. Ideas of protest at the Summit included- a blockade early on the Wednesday morning, a mass protest in the evening that will allow those working be involved, a counter-summit meeting on the thur/fri/sat evening. It was felt that this summit has the potential to build a much larger anti-globalisation movement than exists currently in Ireland. It gives us the opportunity to draw in thousands of people who are currently fighting the bin charges, and incinerators, those striking against rail and bus privatization, teachers and nurses fighting the sell off of our health and education system, taxi drivers, airport staff, water workers fighting de-regulation and so on together with all those angry at the corporate takeover of our lives. We are asking anyone involved in any of the above campaigns to contact us and get involved.

Globalise Resistance is calling for a mass rally of all those opposed to privatization to begin at 5.30pm at the Burlington Hotel on Wednesday 10th October.

Groups have been set up to co-ordinate the following for the privatisation summit protests;

1. Media Group
2. Accomodation/transport
3. Support from other groups/compiling event programme
4. Summit info factsheet

Email us or phone 087 9890330 if you have any ideas or want to help out with protests at the
Summit.

Cormy (27 Sep, 2001 01:26 p.m.):
Ideas of protest at the Summit included- a blockade early on the Wednesday morning

Unless they're actually willing to do this then they're wasting their fucking time with any sort of protest. You know, there's a few banners, loads of SWP placards saying 'kick out the bosses', and nothing gets achieved. The conference still goes ahead.

I am losing patience with GR in Ireland. Last night in Conways I asked two prominent members if they were going to block the PPP conference, and they said no, they didnt want to 'scare away' bus workers, trade unionists etc. Yeah, bus drivers will be well scared of a bunch of SWP heads blockading an entrance. Fucks sake.

One girl in fact was selling the paper at the Street Party (or trying to sell it anyway). I was tempted to tell her to fuck off, but then all of a sudden I was given this great opportunity to score a goal.

regards

Cormy (27 Sep, 2001 01:26 p.m.):

It gives us the opportunity to draw in thousands of people who are currently fighting the bin charges, and incinerators, those striking against rail and bus privatization, teachers and nurses fighting the sell off of our health and education system, taxi drivers, airport staff, water workers fighting de-regulation and so on together with all those angry at the corporate takeover of our lives.

draw into what exactly.
My problem with alot of GR is the structure it exists in ie. a sub-group of the SWP. And the SWP are only in a lot of things for their own political gain.

But a blocade would be so much fun.

Anyone for more football outside the burlington?

Naah...
no-one in the SWP ever gets laid.
The WSM on the other hand....

Cormy - you mentioned taxi drivers as being among those "angry at the corporate takeover of our lives".
Surely they represent everything bad about overly-bureaucratic government - a state funded cartel with alleged links to organised crime. They were never public either.
Are £80,000 taxi plates part of the GR/SWP/etc agenda?

That probably sounds facetious, doesn't it? It's not meant to be - I'd just be concerned as to who/what I'd be protesting alongside.

PS street theatre - nice one. We could do with a lot more of that around the place.

OK kids, here's a test for you:

Who can answer these questions:

1. What is PPP?
2. What are the implications of PPP, both in Ireland and globally?
3. Why protest against it?

Where possible, support your answer with relevant examples, and not regurgitated propaganda.

Fucking Judean peoples front..Fuck off!!

Privatise Rail and Bus!!!

Excellent. I might actually get somewhere on time and not have to fork out my life savings to get there.

I'm organising an "UP-Privitisation" march if anyones interested.

pete (27 Sep, 2001 11:22 p.m.):

1. What is PPP?

Where possible, support your answer with relevant examples, and not regurgitated propaganda.

Anyone?

1. What is PPP?

OK no facts and figures for this rant but I'll chance my arm anyway.

The PPP is a conference designed to draw in both state and corporate representatives. The state (not just the Irish one) wants private companies to invest in traditionally publicly-owned utilities such as rail, bus, water, electricity, prisons, health, education, etc.

This is because these services 'lose' money for the state. They dont make enough profit. The fact of the matter is that they are essential for the public, and whether they are 'profitable' or not should not make a difference. We pay our taxes to the state for basic requirements. They in turn should be providing them.

Why should we protest against it? Because look at other countries where privitisation has happened, our neighbour UK being a prime example. Water and energy company bosses awarding themselves huge pay rises while all the time 'downsizing', the farce of the rail companies and their blatant disregard for the passengers safety and track maintenance, people like Group4 being put in charge of prisons (not answerable to anyone).

I dont trust either the State or corporate companies but at least the State has some sort of a public, accountable, (somewhat) accessible face in the form of politicians, reps, the ombudsman, whatever. All a company has to do is call security to get you fucked out.

Water, Electricity and Public Transport arent something that have to be profitable. All companies ever think about is making more money, and giving them power over these basic needs is a bad idea.

regards

1. What is PPP?
Public Private Partnership
As the path said the government sells off basic services to private companies who in turn try and make them profitable.
My only example is eircom where cos of privatisation in rural areas the non-profitable local phone booths are being taken away. These whilst not being profitable are a resource very important to the local community and well you know yourself anyone without a mobile phone who ends up in trouble near there.

the problem is that private companies have a legal obligation to maximise profits for their shareholders. that's their only responsibility. make more money. so how does that obligation sit with the provision of services such as water/health/education/air traffic control/whatever?

and who's in control of the partnership?

There's a difference between actual privatisation and public private partnership.

Privatisation - as shown in examples given - tends to result in the consumer getting screwed.

But what about PPP specifically?

Isn't that what this conference is about, rather than privatisation?

This is because these services 'lose' money for the state. They dont make enough profit.

And who exactly is losing this money? Its not Bertie Ahern, or any other politicians, its you and me mate. Our taxes are spent keeping these inefficient, out of date state and semi state bodies just about afloat enough to keep them breathing. Of course some of them must stay in government hands - prison system, etc. , but many of them would be run more efficiently and cost way less to you and me in poorly spent taxes if the bottom line was profit.

When you here the words government, profit, global all in one sentence it doesn't always mean that "they" are all ganging up to give you a royal buttfucking. Grow up a little.

Anyone who asked any questions of me as regards the explanation of the PPP Summit I posted, I didn't write it, I just re-posted it so as to easily (lazily) explain what the PPP is about.

I'm not really interesting in building anything, except for maybe a big sandwich.

I would, however, like to see more people wake up to what's on front of their fucking eyes. I agree with Path-O in that public speakers spouting rhetoric at right-on "activists" and bored on-lookers is a complete waste of time, and as for blockades, etc scaring people away...bollocks to that. Direct action is the only way to get things done, "peaceful" protest (read:fence-sitting) is for wankers and nuns.

So in reaction, I'm trying to get some more vibrant, interesting protest/demo type things going on (street-theatre, creative subversity, etc), since it's something that Ireland is SORELY lacking. This is something that I think will involve & interest many more people than any number of speakers on podiums will. Talk of the proletariat, working class, bosses, workers, etc, just bores the shite out of people and, uh, scares them away...

Why the fuck shouldn't protests be a bloody good laugh, anyway?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back