Power Map of Irish Venues (1 Viewer)

Anne OMalley

Needs to get out more
Website
www.rollerssparkers.com
This is a suggestion to enhance the role of the Things website as an information resource for bands and artists in Ireland. (I don't know much about IU, but I imagine this would apply equally to them.)

How about a "power map" of Irish venues, to be displayed on the website? This would be a schematic diagram showing who owns what venue(s), who promotes in what venue(s), how open a venue is to independent (ie non-MCD or non-Aitken) promoters - that sort of thing.

I think a lot of people are somewhat in the dark about who is pulling the strings behind a lot of the gigs in Ireland. Everyone knows about MCD but the situation is undoubtedly far more complicated than simply Big Guy (MCD) vs. Little Guys (everyone else). Who are the little guys? How big are they? Which ones are the bigger of the little guys...?! (Etc.!)

The other thing about such a resource is it might encourage bands and artists who are so inclined to think a bit more pragmatically and tactically about such questions as where/when they might (and might not) want to play.

The motivation behind my suggesting this is not any kind of radical agenda but simply the belief that knowledge is power. Given that, providing a map is one way for those with knowledge to empower others.

In other words, people should be able to take from such information whatever they wish. Some bands might perceive themselves as radical and see their mission as overthrowing the status quo of power in the Irish music industry; meanwhile others will be opportunists seeking to exploit this status quo for their own ends. I think it's very important that both attitudes should be armed and mobilised by a power map of Irish venues.

It's amazing how much an "outsider" can learn from just a few minutes chatting to someone experienced in the "scene". In keeping with the spirit of Things, the value of this knowledge should be recognised and it should be made available to all.

(Apologies for the scare quotes - I'm trying not to be partisan here.)

Anne O'Malley (15 Feb, 2002 01:21 p.m.):

How about a "power map" of Irish venues, to be displayed on the website?

The motivation behind my suggesting this is not any kind of radical agenda but simply the belief that knowledge is power.

Good idea, and yes, IU would happily link to it as soon as it is done. Don't have the expertise or the time to do it.

And I am glad to note I am not the only one who believes knowledge=power

billy, i'm meeting cormac next week, i'm going to go to carlow. ambientlive is beginning to move, the board is up and the lincoln and utrecht events are making progress.
whats the story man?

Felt very very bad last week....and I've lost my phone. Feeling a lot better now though....

as one of the web people, i have to say this sounds like a fine idea. however, does this mean that you're planning to do this map and maintain it, anne o'malley? or at least to provide the raw information for billy to do it? [and IU, why do you keep referring to yourself in the plural and in the third person? are you the queen or something?]

I'll pitch in as much as I can but there are people posting to this board regularly who are 10 times more knowledgeable about these things than I am. They know who they are...

I guess a pretty exhaustive list of venues, ordered on a city by city basis, would be a good place to start.

A few of us should probably meet up and get the ball rolling. Would a Things meeting be appropriate?

And if I may be so bold, I'd like to suggest that Joss and Hag attend - I reckon they'd have bucket loads to contribute.

silo (20 Feb, 2002 05:51 p.m.):
as one of the web people, i have to say this sounds like a fine idea. however, does this mean that you're planning to do this map and maintain it, anne o'malley? or at least to provide the raw information for billy to do it? [and IU, why do you keep referring to yourself in the plural and in the third person? are you the queen or something?]

silo (20 Feb, 2002 05:51 p.m.):and IU, why do you keep referring to yourself in the plural and in the third person? are you the queen or something?

Because there's more than one person involved...?
Also, it's a habit. I had my own Company once and, legally, a Company is a seperate entity (a person, in the eyes of the Law) so I got used to calling the company in terms of personification. Does it bother anyone...? Ah, well: Life is full opf little bothers - I have three (two boys and a girl!)

Anne O'Malley (20 Feb, 2002 06:48 p.m.):
I guess a pretty exhaustive list of venues, ordered on a city by city basis, would be a good place to start.

Wolsey's, Bangor
Catalyst Arts, Belfast
Katy Dalys, Belfast
Auntie Annies Porterhouse, Belfast
The Crescent Arts Centre, Belfast
Giro's, Belfast
The Front Page, Belfast
The Empire, Belfast
Laverys, Belfast
Duke of York, Belfast
Paddy's, B'mahon
Reggies, Cahirsiveen
Connollys, Co. Cork
UUC, Coleraine
An Bodhran, Cork
Nancy Spains, Cork
Pine Lodge, Cork
The Annex, Cork
The Lobby, Cork
DeBarras, Cork
The Savoy, Cork
Half Moon Theatre, Cork
Triskel Arts Centre, Cork
Myrtleville, Cork
Spailpin Fanach, Cork
Opera House, Cork
Fred Zeppelins, Cork
The Gweedore, Derry
Gweedore Bar, Derry
McHughs, Drogheda
Vicar St., Dublin
The Cobblestone, Dublin
Eamon Dorans, Dublin
Cellar Bar, Frasiers, Dublin
Point Depot, Dublin
Frasiers, Dublin
Doyles, Dublin
Temple Bar Music Centre, Dublin
Isaac Butt, Dublin
Olympia Theatre, Dublin
The Tivoli, Dublin
The Gaiety, Dublin
The Temple, Dublin
The Shelter, Dublin
The Project, Dublin
JJ Smyths, Dublin
Edmund Burke Hall, Dublin
The Sidewalk Café, Dublin
The Parnell Mooney, Dublin
Red Box, Dublin
Mono, Dublin
Guinness Store House, Dublin
Bridge Gallery, Dublin
The International Bar, Dublin
The Walton Theatre, Dublin
St. Anthony's Little Theatre, Dublin
The Four Seasons, Dublin
Lazybird, Dublin
The Thomas House, Dublin
Whelans, Dublin
Leisureland, Galway
Sally Longs, Galway
The GPO, Galway
An Taibhdhearc, Galway
Bar Cuba, Galway
O'Malleys, Galway
The Soundhouse, Kildare
Carrolls Pub, Kilkenny
The Zoo, Kilkenny
Cleere's, Kilkenny
Teddy O'Connors, Killarney
Costelloe's, Limerick
Dolans, Limerick
The Globe, Limerick
McGregors, Limerick
The High Stool, Limerick
The Boatclub, Limerick
The Orchard, L'kenny
Eamon Kiernans, Longford
Carnegie Inn, Lurgan
The Magnet Centre, Newry
The Sally Gardens, Portaoise
Central Bar, Portrush
Chaines, Ptstewart
Batty O'Briens, Rcommon
Owls Nest, Waterford
Katie Gallaghers, Wicklow
Wicklow Rugby Club, Wicklow

Bada, and indeed, bing.

Holy crud. Pete, you're a one-man meeting machine.

So what's next?

MEE-TING! MEE-TING!

pete (20 Feb, 2002 10:47 p.m.):
Anne O'Malley (20 Feb, 2002 06:48 p.m.):

Wolsey's, Bangor
Catalyst Arts, Belfast
Katy Dalys, Belfast
Auntie Annies Porterhouse, Belfast
The Crescent Arts Centre, Belfast
Giro's, Belfast
(You really think I'm about to quote all of these?)
Batty O'Briens, Rcommon
Owls Nest, Waterford
Katie Gallaghers, Wicklow
Wicklow Rugby Club, Wicklow

Bada, and indeed, bing.

they're all venues where gigs listed here have actually been on, except some obvious ones like the Point Depot

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back