Posh or what (1 Viewer)

yeah... works out at
100.00 USD
=
73.7101 EUR

Eh... Online sale only though duder

as far as i remember, if you have the isbn of a book you can just walk into easons or somewhere and they can get you one... it'll cost a bit extra mind, but its a way. thats what isbn's are supposed to be for folks.

This book came in the post the other day, its deadly. Only on page 50 so far but its fascinating. I feel like a kid with a giant fairytale book. The EMI plant at Hayes sounds magical.

Finally finished this the other night. It's deadly, loads of fascinating trivia about recording sessions, how songs were constructed, how techie nerds were on hand to make wishes come true and so on. The beatles themselves come across a bit prickish at times. theres way too much repetition of tedious technical detail though. I planned to read every word of it but I skipped loads in the end. I kinda wish I hadn't spent that much money on it now but I did and its cool all the same. Theres lots of discussion about techniques and tricks that you could apply to your own recordings even on modest home set-ups, i should have taken note of them.

Was there anything in it about how a lot of their stuff was "mixed to master"..as it was pre-mastering?

Was there anything in it about how a lot of their stuff was "mixed to master"..as it was pre-mastering?

There wasn't a huge amount about mastering in it, I'm not exactly sure how that was done, if they mixed to two track or what. Mono was the thing at the time. There was a bit about disc cutting in it alright and they could do a bit of what I guess is now called mastering at that stage, mainly eq I think. It seems EMI had rules and regulations about absolutely everything including how much bass could be on a record - they didn't want skippy product resulting from to much bass. The Beatles were always after more bass like they could hear on American records.

Another interesting thing was the way people joined EMU and worked their way up. First you were tape op and them you went to the cutting room to learn how to cut records, that way you would know better how to mix when you got to that stage, all very structured, like an apprenticeship out the civil service maybe. It was very unionized too, they guy on the mixing desk wasn't allowed to use the patch bay or move mics around, he had to call the technicians.

Anyone fancy buying my copy of this for €75? €75 = $100 according to google. Its not quite as good as new as i've read it but its almost as good as new and you wouldn't have to have it shipped from the US so that'd be a good saving if we can arrange a handover in person.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back