POP LEVI (ex-Ladytron) in Crawdaddy on Feb. 14th (1 Viewer)

Deaglan

Website
www.goodluckski.com
POD Concerts presents

POP LEVI (ex-Ladytron)
Wednesday February 14th

Crawdaddy – Harcourt St – Dublin 2.
Doors – 8pm

Tickets €12 & €14 available from Ticketmaster, Road Records, City Discs, Sound Cellar and usual outlets. www.ticketmaster.ie

www.poplevi.com
www.myspace.com/poplevi

Former Ladytron bassist who says he sounds like Prince making out with Dylan in Syd Barrett’s bedroom. Levi is one of the tipsters tips for 2007 and releases his debut album on Ninja Tunes in February.

"Hyper-kinetic boogie" ****
UNCUT

"One of the most infectious yet mind-blowing things you'll have heard"
TIME OUT

"Fully authentic riverbed rock'n'roll soul"
STRAIGHT NO CHASER

"Pop Levi will sprinkle happiness on even the saddest of lives" 5/5
CLASH

"Like every kind of great pop you ever heard - and all at once!"
LA WEEKLY

"Guaranteed success" 4/5
IDJ

"Wickedly produced deeply psychedelic glam-rock brilliance"
MIXMAG

Levi’s debut album 'The Return To Form Black Magick Party' in Ireland in February featuring the single ‘Sugar Assault Me Now’. Levi recently told NME.com: "I'd like the album to win the Mercury Prize. I hope people really get into it. The album is all about putting things backwards, sideways, through mirrors and on their head. Black magic is the main theme. It's about the left path - the more sinister way".

Named after a ceremonial gathering that Pop threw in Liverpool. “My music is Future Pop,” explains Levi. “It's more about the attitude, more the free thinking."

Pop produced the album too, but co-mixed it with Devendra Banhart's producer Thom Monahan, in Sacramento, California. As befits an album that is imbibed with Delta blues, doo-wop, garage pop and Laurel Canyon excess, the studio was "right next to the Union Pacific Railroad, the railroad upon which America was built!". This is a new start for Pop, but also Ninja Tune, who have signed Pop to a long-term deal and created a brand new offshoot label, Counter Records, especially for him.

Conceived in one of the capital's hospitals by a Jewish doctor and a Gentile nurse, his childhood was steeped in music. He studied piano at three, joined a gospel choir at seven, started collecting records at nine and wrote his first song that same year: a 12 bar creation 'Through The Window Of My Life' that came right out of the ether.

In the 90s, he moved to Liverpool, lived on the breadline and took his chances. After forming a commune with new pals Snap Ant and Karl Webb, the trio conceived Super Numeri, whose two albums for Ninja Tune, 'Great Aviaries' (2003) and 'The Welcome Table' (2005), showcased arguably the first band to truly contemporise the cyclical-groove mechanics of Can with the amorphous fluidity of jazz. Post-Rock never sounded this free-thinking, and if you doubt that, then head for 'The Welcome Table's 25-minute opener 'The First League Of Angels'.

"We were trying to make something that was truly astral", Pop recalls. "With my own album, I wanted to make astral pop music. To me, it's the same thing."

In between Super Numeri opuses, Pop's solo quest began with two 7" singles, 'Rude Kinda Love' and the Christmas single 'Reindeer In My Heart', both for Danny Hunt's Invicta Hi-Fi label. Hunt, a good friend of Pop's and one of the male members of the electro-pop-orientated Ladytron, had invited him to join the band on bass guitar, so during 2003 and 2004, Pop found himself on Ladytron's world tour and contributing to their third album 'Witching Hour'.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back