polar web-site address? (2 Viewers)

Crazy bastards. Wait 'till you see, they'll build a studio for themselves one day - we'll never see them again. Picture the scene....
Capratone albumn ; Day 481 - we spent the whole day unplugging appliances and recording equipment until Fiachra found 'that sound'. It's 4am, and we're arguing about what mic we should use on it. Kill me.

Originally posted by dudley
they spent loads recording it then scrapped it cos they didn't like the singing

Hmmm, this is why every band should keep their multi. They could have just gone back and rerecorded the vocals!

Originally posted by kmastering
Hmmm, this is why every band should keep their multi. They could have just gone back and rerecorded the vocals!

ah, but that's not the point. the feeling was gone. the magic of the original, the love and dedication.

I know they're expensive but most studio's have a computer based multitrack which is used to back up the reels to (like pro tools). All you need is a pile of blank cd's. Where did you record? Was it Sun?

24 track wholly analogue studio in scotland. at the time the reels were something like £150 stg each, may have been 250. we went over budget on our hours and it just wasn't possible to buy them. the studio held on to them for ages whilst we agonised over it.

we have dat masters obviously, but no back ups 8(

Hate that! Next time you could rent a pro tools system for a day and just do back ups. It's well worth it. Check out Sun studios or Apollo though both have analogue tape machines and pro tools to back up to. Niether charge extra to use pro tools. Tell em Andy sent ya!

Originally posted by dudley
we have dat masters obviously, but no back ups 8(

That's hella expensive for the reels, don't you have to spend a bit on keeping them stored right, or would Chemical have looked after them for you...??

you'll never be able to do a Classic Albums tv show with The Lonely World :(

You any dates planned for going back over?

Originally posted by Pantone247
don't you have to spend a bit on keeping them stored right?

Nah, as long as you don't keep them next to your magnet collection or pond they'll keep for a long while! That price was for brand new tape I'd say. Sun offers you second hand reels these days which are alot cheaper.

Originally posted by kmastering
Nah, as long as you don't keep them next to your magnet collection or pond they'll keep for a long while! That price was for brand new tape I'd say. Sun offers you second hand reels these days which are alot cheaper.

so could, say our Dudley there, buy a second hand reel from sun and, as long it was the right width and all, bung it over to Scotland?

through out all this I'm wondering how and where the most Capratone album was backed up... um... Snaky you were in charge of the back up... right? ;)

I couldn't say yay or nay. They would do it if you were doing a session in Sun or Apollo but people just don't make analogue multitrack tape machines anymore so the supply of tape isn't as much as it once was. They won't like the tape leaving for another studio.

It's not the supply that's that bad. I mean the company that makes them is based in the states so it's plentiful there, especially as all the major US studio's use analogue multitracks. It's just that to get a bulk of tape into ireland is quite expensive. The majority of bands backup their work onto some form of computer so they just pass the reels onto someone else. It's not really feasable to get a load of new tape if the bands are happy using second hand reels.

Le Plus Roll was recorded to ADAT and not backed up.
No point in it coming out as Capratone now as Capratone is a completely different band. I considered putting some songs online in MP3 form but it would only cause confusion.
Besides, Andrew's songs are coming out now as the Asteroids. Not at any great pace, admittedly.
Damn bands keep slowing him up!

Hmm. We should have a think about this Corpo backup action.
Dates booked for recording in mid May and early June, in response to a question back there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back