Plush (1 Viewer)

billygannon

Contributor
I have More You Becomes You for a few years.

Any suggestions of other stuff brought out by Liam Hayes/Plush?

I remember the single put out around ten years ago on Drag City, Three Quarters Blind Eyes/Found a Little Baby being fabtastic although I never got round to buying it.

TQBE turned up the Domino comp World of Possibility while back

a CD single version might be knocking around still

Fed and it's companion Underfed - not heard 'em fully yet but good things in the samples

avoid the dudes below

B00005NNUW.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

hey angnlakrjg - what are those jap strips that go along the left called? - like on that cd, duh

i know their inclusion is a moneyadderon in various circles - ie - package isn't complete without it

MONDOBRUTALE said:
hey angnlakrjg - what are those jap strips that go along the left called? - like on that cd, duh

i know their inclusion is a moneyadderon in various circles - ie - package isn't complete without it

obi strips

any CD with one means you're gonna pay an inflated price
may have extra tracks, may not either
crazy

that may be the nerdiest thing i've ever read on thumped.

This may apply more to vinyl but Japanese pressings and msterings are often regarded as better by those concerned with such matters.

Also there are bucket loads of great things only released there.

More You Becomes You is in my all-time top 5. Fed is fantastic stuff. I think Underfed is a little redundant. Just stripped-down versions. Fine on its own, but pointless really if you have heard Fed.
Check out his new site which I stumbled upon a few weeks back: www.liamhayesandplush.com. Says he has a new album out Spring 2008. New video there is pretty great. You can also download Fed there, which should save you the import prices.

this seven is deadly. both songs are great. well worth picking up if you can find it online

I remember the single put out around ten years ago on Drag City, Three Quarters Blind Eyes/Found a Little Baby being fabtastic although I never got round to buying it.

Plush
http://www.liamhayesandplush.com/

Six years after its Japan-only release on the After Hours label, Broken Horse is thrilled to announce the first European release of the much-talked- about but seldom-heard ‘Fed’, the second album by Liam Hayes’ Plush.

Out on August 25th 2008

Since Plush’s debut 7”, Three Quarters Blind Eyes / Found A Little Baby was released to universal praise in 1994 on Drag City, the tale of Plush has been one mostly concerned with the promise of new recordings, scrapped sessions, rumour and speculation concerning Hayes’ quest to match the songs in his head with the recordings in his hand. What has been vastly over-looked is the music.

It was four years before Drag City released Plush’s debut album, More You Becomes You. Few albums can be described as being truly unique, but More You Becomes You is, without doubt, one of those albums that can actually put in a serious bid for that description. While a full-blown orchestral pop album was indeed planned, Hayes instead delivered a uniquely minimal set of intimate piano & vocal ballads, which somehow managed to present a unique, first-take feel despite the incredible attention to detail Hayes applied to the performances and recordings that had actually taken place.

Following the release of More You Becomes You, Hayes immediately went back to work on his original vision of the sound that Plush’s debut 45 promised. Once an initial guide draft was completed (this would later surface on Drag City imprint Sea Note as Underfed), Hayes submerged himself in a quest for perfection, spending several years on the selection of musicians and studios, arrangements, conducting orchestral players, overdubbing, listening, re-listening and piecing together takes to bring the ultimate version of Fed to the table.

Although upon completion Hayes found himself without a label in either the US or Europe, the artistic success of the album could not be denied. Throughout its 14 tracks, from the roaring opening track “Whose Blues” to “the epic “No Education” to the pop-masterpiece “Born Together” to the closing lullaby “The Woods,” Fed remains spectacularly melodic and inventive throughout.

Upon its Japanese release, Uncut called the album “the dazzling symphonic album he always threatened to produce,” whilst Rolling Stone called it a “soulful symphonic masterpiece” suggesting that its non-domestic release was further proof of the decline of American culture.

After six years, Fed may only barely qualify as a re-issue, but it just might be the re-issue of the year.

Fast-forward to the present. A news flash: Hayes has nearly completed the follow up to Fed, “Bright Penny” which will be released in early 2009. It promises to be his most accessible to date, an album that, according to Hayes, “reaches out to the listener, any listener,” still challenging the pop status-quo, whilst bearing all the hallmarks of his unique songwriting and arranging talents.

God, talk about flogging a dead horse. Best thing he's done is the 3 quarter blind eyes single imho. The other albums (and i have them all folks, oh yes!!) just aren't that good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back