Phibsboro Community Garden (1 Viewer)

Bag'o'cans said:
Whats the dealy, is it communal, do you grow your own, who gets it, who grows it?
I'll read the website maybe.

it is a recent resurgence in ireland

elsewhere community gardens have been developed by local authorities and some have been developed by schools as an educational tool especially for children from inner city areas. think ownership, empowerment and attachment with locality.

some are developed by residents or activists. self controlled.

some have been developed in disadvantaged areas as a means of supplementing food bills. spirit of the allotment.

either way they are a good thing

is this like guerilla gardening?

I have some flowers that badly need replanting, can I bring them along?
Will I have to deal with hippies shitein' on about mother nature providing for all her childer though?

todd_landers said:
is this like guerilla gardening?

I have some flowers that badly need replanting, can I bring them along?
Will I have to deal with hippies shitein' on about mother nature providing for all her childer though?

Yeah bring them along, but we are literally only just starting, so it'll mostly just be clearing stuff and lots of digging and overturning ground. Hopefully there won't be "hippies shitein' on about mother nature", there will be a few punks (if you can stand that), but they are from phibsboro and of the community. Hopefully once we get things going, it will open up more and more people from there will get involved.

"Whats the dealy, is it communal, do you grow your own, who gets it, who grows it?"

None of this has really been decided on yet. It will be decided by all those involved in the garden as time goes on.

We started on the community garden yesterday, and began by clearing a small plot of land. It's going to be a bit more hard work than expected/needed as there is a lot of rubble due to where the it is. Removing concrete fencing posts from the ground, etc. But it is coming along. Hope to leaflet the neighbours along the canal by the end of the week. We are meeting up again this Saturday at 12 for a work day, this is due to the Dublin Anti-Authoritarian assembly being on the Sunday, though hopefully it will be a regular Sunday event from then on.

Could anyone pm me some details about how to get involved in the Dolphin's barn garden. I saw a poster about it during the summer in the punk book store upstairs by the Central bank and thought it sounded like a great idea.

Also what would be the deal with a school or class getting involved with the Phibsborough garden?

cheers

We normally meet up at 12/12.30 on sundays at des kelly, the garden is down the northside of the canal towards cabra, there's a break in the wall opposite shandon gardens on the other side of the canal and the cemetary on the other side of the train tracks. It's in there, we've cleared about 100 square metres for a vegetable patch which was very hard going as there is a buried old chain link fence and posts beside the new fence at the railway. We are planning on sowing some green manure in the next week or two to be dug back into the ground come spring. I haven't been in the last two weekends so I'm not sure what's happening. I think we'll be taking a break for december and start of january, though we have been given the offer of saplings of native trees to plant and december is the best time, so I'm not sure when we might do that as we will need to clear some more land.

http://www.indymedia.ie/article/74963
Saturday will see a potato and vegetable planting session in the Cursed Earth garden in Phibsborough, 2pm onwards.​
Frw from the desk of Cursed Earth Phibsborough Community Garden:

Saturday will see a potato and vegetable planting session in the Cursed Earth garden in Phibsborough, 2pm onwards.
We have a large vegetable patch that needs sorting out so all hands very welcome.
Bring food to share and some nice weather!

Directions from city:
Go past Tesco's and over the Crossed Guns bridge, then swing a left onto the northside canalbank at Des Kelly Carpets. Walk along for about 4/5 minutes past a lock gate and there is a break in the wall into the right. If you come to some artisan style cotteges you've gone too far!

map_phibs.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back