Perplexing musical things that make you think "WHY?" (1 Viewer)

I've mentioned this lyric in "Love is a many splendored thing" before;

"Once on a high and windy hill,
In the morning mist two lovers kissed and the world stood still,"

Which is it for fucks sake , windy or misty?

Do lyricists not discuss things with meteorologists or what? One would assume not!

Infuriating.

10501671_10152984316222436_6323385990816657200_n.jpg

A shortage of Meteorologists and cooking staff among other things.

Walking 'round the room singing Stormy Weather
At Fifty Seven Mount Pleasant Street
Well it's the same room, but everything's different
You can fight the sleep, but not the dream

Things ain't cookin' in my kitchen
Strange affliction wash over me
Julius Caesar and the Roman Empire
Couldn't conquer the blue sky

Well, there's a small boat made of china
It's going nowhere on the mantlepiece
Well, do I lie like a loungeroom lizard
Or do I sing like a bird released?

Everywhere you go, always take the weather with you
Everywhere you go, always take the weather
Everywhere you go, always take the weather with you
Everywhere you go, always take the weather, the weather with you

yeah, that's what prompted my post

I just don't get it
He's managed to stay an enigma in a world of oversharing?

Obviously you've made it quite clear in the past that you have no time for his music so there's that barrier to 'getting' it.

I don't know WHY Roger Daltry puts coke in his gin in Substitute.

Surely some tonic and a slice of lemon would be the ticket

I'm still haunted by the zig and zag misheard lyrics bit they did on the radio years ago. Though for the life of me I can't think of any right now. But when any song they mentioned comes on the radio.....

• Songs fading out too early, especially when a cool chorus/ musical bit fades out before its natural end.
  • When a really cool bit in a song is repeated just once or twice, instead of 4 or 5 times. "Leave them wanting more" is bullshit
  • Dire production - like Albini's effort on PJ Harvey's Rid of Me
  • Setlists at gigs frequently leave me perplexed - especially when they choose all the mid-tempo fillers instead of the obviously cooler/better tracks (and I don't mean the "hits").

• When a really cool bit in a song is repeated just once or twice, instead of 4 or 5 times. "Leave them wanting more" is bullshit

I've been trying to shake this habit in my own productions.

You never see dance music producers worrying about repetition!

• Songs fading out too early, especially when a cool chorus/ musical bit fades out before its natural end.
  • Dire production - like Albini's effort on PJ Harvey's Rid of Me
  • Setlists at gigs frequently leave me perplexed - especially when they choose all the mid-tempo fillers instead of the obviously cooler/better tracks (and I don't mean the "hits").

I definitely disagree with you on point two, I'm of the leave em wanting more school. You'll be sick of it after two listens otherwise. It's kinda linked to your first point too. I like when a song fades out on a catchy chorus. You've already heard it, like.

I had a near-crisis level WHY? moment when Kate Bush played Joanni at her gigs this year. She plays her first gig in 35 years and she plucks one of her very worst songs out of obscurity for the occasion. I bet nobody would have gone home wishing she had played that one if she hadn't done.

I definitely disagree with you on point two, I'm of the leave em wanting more school. You'll be sick of it after two listens otherwise. It's kinda linked to your first point too. I like when a song fades out on a catchy chorus. You've already heard it, like.

I had a near-crisis level WHY? moment when Kate Bush played Joanni at her gigs this year. She plays her first gig in 35 years and she plucks one of her very worst songs out of obscurity for the occasion. I bet nobody would have gone home wishing she had played that one if she hadn't done.

I know what your saying about the risk of ruining a song by overdoing the best bits. But even ONCE more would be better! Anymore than that might be overdoing it alright. Got carried away there with my fours and fives.

The fade out thing I was talking about is really where they fade it out too quickly, especially mid chorus, or before the musical scale finishes satisfactorily. Just 3 or 4 more seconds would normally be grand to wrap it up cleanly. That's probably my O.C.D talking though

That Kate Bush business! Mad.

Cathy Davey pulled that ronan keating vocal thing on her last album, i think the song is called Habit. "I know I know I schorta want...I schorta need." Instead of sorta. Really ground my gears.

I'm in the less is more camp. First example that pops into my head is the distorted section in Giveamanakick's Brittle Bones. They could have got anyway with at least one more run of it at the end, but I like the way it leaves you not feeling done with the song.

Sometimes mistakes and glitches are cool and are left in for that reason. But sometimes, they're just annoying. Like, why did Midlake not fix the "we won't get married line" here..?

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back