People Who Died (10 Viewers)

FOUR World Cups - even Pele 'only' won three.

Another Zagallo coaching achievement was qualifying the then little known UAE (pop. 1.5 million) for Italia 90.
But Mario was sacked before the tournament after he made comments about their lack of prospects in Italy.
Carlos Alberto Parreira replaced him and Zagallo assisted him in Brazil's 1994 WC victory.

Beckenbauer, 78
Only realised today that Der Kaiser multiple serious health problems in recent years - hip replacement, lost sight in one eye, heart issues and his brother Walter described symptoms similar to dementia recently.

Sepp Maier was born in 1944 and Franz and Gerd Muller in 1945 - Bayern must have had a handy youth team!
Prior to those lads Bayern had only won the league once.

Hans-Georg Schwarzenbeck was key to Beckenbauer; as his defensive partner Georg did the donkey work and allowed Der Kaiser to get on the ball and get forward.

Another small bit of trivia:
Franz for quite a few years had the Bundesliga record for own goals.

amazing answer from Phill Niblock in this interview from a couple of years back. basically “I thought about music for five minutes in 1968 and then spent the rest of my life doing it”

Screenshot 2024-01-08 at 10.58.30 PM.png

from this:

Only realised today that Der Kaiser multiple serious health problems in recent years - hip replacement, lost sight in one eye, heart issues and his brother Walter described symptoms similar to dementia recently.

Sepp Maier was born in 1944 and Franz and Gerd Muller in 1945 - Bayern must have had a handy youth team!
Prior to those lads Bayern had only won the league once.

Hans-Georg Schwarzenbeck was key to Beckenbauer; as his defensive partner Georg did the donkey work and allowed Der Kaiser to get on the ball and get forward.

Another small bit of trivia:
Franz for quite a few years had the Bundesliga record for own goals.

He could play.

This is simultaneously like watching a modern footballer, but also like watching Jimmy Greaves.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Defended well too.

Larry Collins of The Collins Kids

He could play.

This is simultaneously like watching a modern footballer, but also like watching Jimmy Greaves.

Defended well too.

Really Der Kaiser was a midfielder who completely redefined being a central defender. Most of that footage is from a relatively small amount of internationals too. Safe to say Beckenbauer did this match after match.
Someone told me today that Hans-Georg Schwarzenbeck 's nickname was ''The Bodyguard''.

My favourite Would Cup matches Beckenbauer played in apart from the Italy semi final in 1970 (where he should never have stayed on the pitch with a broken collar bone when Helmut Schon wouldn't take him off) were -
West Germany 5-2 Bulgaria (Group match 1970) Muller got a hat trick and right winger Reinard 'Stan' Libuda got a goal, won a penalty and had two assists in one of the performances of the tournament. Not sure why but Libuda was replaced by Jürgen Grabowski later in the tournament.

The other one was the 1974 blockbuster 4-2 win v Sweden in 1974 where Overath had a great game.

In both of those matches the Germans went 1-0 down. Lots of moments from both games in the clip Unicron posted.

amazing answer from Phill Niblock in this interview from a couple of years back. basically “I thought about music for five minutes in 1968 and then spent the rest of my life doing it”

View attachment 18043

from this:

Lovely stuff

Reminds me a little of that Giorgio Moroder quote
"Once you free your mind about a concept of harmony and of music being "correct", you can do whatever you want"

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back