People Who Died (7 Viewers)

Shane was a wonderful lyricist, as good as they come.
His songs help me make sense of some of the world.
I sometimes feel it's a shame he let the comedy drunkard persona overshadow that, but it was his truth.

The world we know is slowly being taken away from us piece by piece, person by person.

RIP

Looking like that he talked his way into Jill St. John's bed.

Not often I get to quote Futurama, or Nixon.

Was reading today that rainy night in Soho wasn't ready for rum sodomy and lash, but shir it had pair of brown eyes on it. Within a year haunted was out. What a run of song writing that is.

I did get to see The Pogues in 2014. Same show where I saw Black Sabbath but missed Motorhead.

I just couldn't fathom how he still knew all the words, considering.

I embarrassed myself, and probably lost us a lot of work, and had a decent chat with Chris Moyles of all people. I regret nothing.

Was reading today that rainy night in Soho wasn't ready for rum sodomy and lash, but shir it had pair of brown eyes on it. Within a year haunted was out. What a run of song writing that is.
I bought Poguetry In Motion at the time for a quid in a shop in Scunthorpe

It had London Girl, Rainy Night..., and Body Of An American on it

Played it to death

Not sure how well I'm remembering this, but an ex used to do the hospitality stuff for musicians doing gigs. Shane MacGowan and co were up that night, they were in the room pre gig, and Shane asks for a bottle of gin. A short while later another bottle of gin was requested, and she dropped it in as slowly as possible at which point the first bottle was almost gone.
Later another bottle of gin was requested, and she went in to investigate to find Shane unconscious or close to it, pretty much on the ground, non functional.
So she's off to the people running the gig to tell them they're going to have to cancel, and the venue goes back to talk to people associated with the act. They're flatly insisting that EVERYTHING WAS GRAND.

And by the way Shane wants another bottle of gin.

There was widespread panic anyway, this was in Norway, the Norwegians can drink (although not to Finish standards), but all concerns were batted away. Every time she caught sight of what was going on in the room things seemed to be unraveling even further.

Her job was done, so she motors out in front of the stage to see what kind of train wreck was going to happen.

They wander out, Shane cranks out a flawless gig. Everyone loves it. Gig ends, and she's back taking care of things. More gin is requested.

Last edited:
Every year he'd do a concert in Dublin in December. I'd say he must have done it around 10 years in a row and that was always the christmas night out for me any my mates. We'd go every year even though the concerts got progressively worse, but wanted to be there because we thought he was at death's door back then (20 odd years ago) and wanted to be at his last ever gig.

One year he was playing with the Popes in the Olympia. They had brought a single out without him ('Are you looking at me' - it was shit) just before. Anyway, the time arrived that they were supposed to go on stage. One come the Popes but no Shane. They played their single. Then they played some instrumental. Then the main lad, Tom McAnimal, walks off stage, comes back on, then they play the single a second time. Still no Shane. Another break of a few minutes and the band leave the stage. Then they come back. With Shane. Absolutely smashed out of his head. Apparently he went out for a stroll and got lost. Some taxi driver saw him wandering around Christchurch and knew he had a gig that night. He put him in the taxi and drove him to the Olympia.

Another year after the gig a mate of mine gets detached from the rest of our group so decides to head home. He gets into a taxi with his shirt ripped open, a cut under his eye, and blood on his shirt. Taxi driver asks, have you been in a fight pal? He answers, no, I was at a Shane McGowan gig. Taxi driver responds, ah, gotchta

I remember a Liveline the day after a Shane McGowan gig, the callers were appalled that Shane was drunk and incoherent and puking on stage. One of those "did you not know anything about the musician you bought tickets to see?" ones, like Neil Young gig goers complaining about feedback and no Heart of Gold

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back